PDA

View Full Version : help - dodgey ticking over noise

Mattie
10-10-2005, 16:16
startd my car up las night and 4 the 1st 2 minutes of it sittin on my drive there was this tickin noise.....sounded like it cd av been sumthing 2 do with the cam belt, but i havnt long had it changed.......ne way popd the hood cdnt c anythin, so i shut the hood and it stopd :shock:

any ideas wot it might av been??? :?

not really much 2 go on i kno but i thought id ask anyway :)

kj16v
12-10-2005, 20:50
Without hearing it I'd say its the tappets/cam followers filling with oil. When you first switvh on the car, especially in cold weather, the tappets don't have much oil in them so they don't take up the gap between the cams. Mine get particularly noisy when the oil gets to halfway on the dipstick

Plattsy
13-10-2005, 09:51
could also be a blocked injector, does it do it everytime you start it or just once? i had a similar problem with mine but was constant until the car was warm. I filled her up with petrol added a bottle of injector cleaner and once the tank has been used the ticking noise has been reduced dramatically even though sometimes you can still hear it but its faint,
Hope this helps,
Craig
P.S Injector cleaner is around £4-5 will only need one bottle, and the cost of a full tank of petrol. for me around £48 from warning light!

Mattie
13-10-2005, 10:32
its only dun it once....thanks guys ill try sum injector cleaner! :)

Rich
13-10-2005, 12:17
best actually using a bottle in a half or quarter full tank as the mix is much stronger then and cleans it out more, it wont hurt it either doing it that way

Plattsy
14-10-2005, 06:55
well really tht wud be a better way what rich sed, i was just quoting what it said on the bottle :)