PDA

View Full Version : ayrton sennas death???

FATBOY
07-10-2005, 22:47
just been reading up on it and this is what they said killed him??

Ayrton Senna was killed in May 1994 while racing at the San Marino Grand Prix in Italy when a peice of suspension pierced his helmet visor and punctured his skull.

is that correct???

JayR
07-10-2005, 22:53
Dunno but that sounds nasty!!!

Justin..
07-10-2005, 23:44
:shock: christ. what a way to go RIP

that was years ago and thats the first ive heard something like that

BenR
07-10-2005, 23:45
yup, on the corner the offside steering failed, hit the wall and half a wishbone went through his head....

watched it when it happened.....not a nice way to go.

NickFr
08-10-2005, 09:35
I watched the race also, it was the same weekend that Roland Ratzenberger was killed.....his death was overshadowed by the death of Senna :cry:

Many people believe that the race should have been cancelled out of respect.............no other death of a famous personality affected me more!

2 live
08-10-2005, 10:18
im not sure ..but iv watched a prog on telly bout it a few months back....crash caused by driver error, and resulted in broken neck and severe internals.

Zollo
08-10-2005, 10:52
im not sure ..but iv watched a prog on telly bout it a few months back....crash caused by driver error, and resulted in broken neck and severe internals.

Don't think that was the case, because there was that big thing about Frank Williams and Adrian Newey (sp?) being taken to court because they could have been deemed responsible for the mechanical failure (being the team manager and technical director).

NickFr
08-10-2005, 13:41
Apparently Senna had requested that the Steering column was lowered as he could not see all his instruments. The arguement rages as to whether the weld gave way before or after the accident, potentially causing the loss of control.

The exact cause has never truly been established, however driver error was discounted. however under italian law....a death during a sporting event, should result in an immediate suspension....this never happened both during practice on the Saturday when Ratzenberger died after hittinga brick wall at 315KPH.....and during the race on the Sunday...the organisers stood to lose$6.5 million dollars....big bucks in 1994!

Ben R and Zollo are both correct....indeed Sir Frank himself was fully expecting to be charged with Manslaugter :?

Andyvalver
08-10-2005, 15:02
I always though he crashed because his tyre pressure was too low and when he entered the corner his car bottomed out due to downforce so he couldnt turn cuz his steering went light :?

stan
08-10-2005, 19:30
one other theory was that the car "skipped" and so the ground clearance was increased...therefore loosing the under-car vacuum created by the aerodynamics , and so loosing traction on entry

BenR
08-10-2005, 23:20
Nah, it was 100% a steering component failure, if you watch the vid you can see the wheels cock eyed before the apex.

Jamie.
09-10-2005, 19:05
my friend had a vid of the crash on his comp, on a tribute to his life vid and it is a amazing..... (the crash) he came to a sweeping left corner and just went striaght on into tyres past the gravel, the crash didnt even look that bad but he was going v quick. must have been something really wrong with the car to understeer the way it did. v wierd

2 live
10-10-2005, 09:47
one other theory was that the car "skipped" and so the ground clearance was increased...therefore loosing the under-car vacuum created by the aerodynamics , and so loosing traction on entry

thats what was proven on the prog i watched.

senna being senna and always wanting to go faster, car gettin lighter and quicker all the time, hit the bump too fast, lost downforce, and traction.....going too fast to regain when he got traction again......bang......theres the wall