PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed...

Willy 2
06-10-2005, 00:11
Hi guys.

Over the last few months my gearbox and PAS pump have progressively been betting worse and worse, to the point where the pump squeals all the time.

So today i have taken the bold step to take both the engine and box out at once. When its out i'll be doing new aux belt, cam belt, PAS pump, clutch and box but was wondering if there are any mods i can do at the same time but for as cheap a price as poss. Any thoughts people?

I thought maybe a lightened and balanced flywheel? Any good?

Cheers

:D

northy
06-10-2005, 08:12
not sure if there is much to do with the flywheel mate.

best things i would do is to replace the alternator, cambelt and pulleys

Willy 2
07-10-2005, 10:41
oh ok. Well its a replacement alternator in there from about 5 months ago, when the bearings on the last one went.

I was thinking about stripping the rear half of the car out. I have read reviews on here about people saying it will unbalance the car. Is this correct and if so will it cause havoc with the sublime handling?

J o n
07-10-2005, 12:42
having replaced my flywheel and after a good look at it you could EASILY shave a load of weight off it... but what's the point? balance and lighten the rest of the engine and it would be worth while, on its own all I can see it doing is reducing torque...

taking weight out the car is bound to affect the handling, only thing that I noticed when I took my back seats out was a bit more go... handled fine, only did this for a day or two tho, didn't really notice any change in the handling department...

Willy 2
08-10-2005, 11:48
Thanks for the feedback. Im struggling to get the engine and box out at once. the box keeps hitting the wheelarch inside the engine bay. Any remedies to get around this? The P/S pulley is smack against the other side. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin
08-10-2005, 11:51
Mine has a lightened/balanced flywheel and it's rapid....not sure whether it's directly related though.

Willy 2
08-10-2005, 11:55
Cheers Martin. If you dont mind my asking, how much did it set you back to get it machined?

Jan
08-10-2005, 14:33
Mine is stripped out in the back, and it does make the car a bit more nervous, but i like it.... More lift-off oversteer 8)

Just taking the seats out won't make much difference, you need to ditch the spare, the carpet and the sound-proofing crap

Martin
08-10-2005, 17:34
Cheers Martin. If you dont mind my asking, how much did it set you back to get it machined?

Sorry pal but I bought the car with it already done..I believe it's cheap though sub 100 quid.

Rich
09-10-2005, 09:56
Thanks for the feedback. Im struggling to get the engine and box out at once. the box keeps hitting the wheelarch inside the engine bay. Any remedies to get around this? The P/S pulley is smack against the other side. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

you have to angle the engine and box, it is very tight to do but you don't have ABS so that makes it much easier too

Willy 2
10-10-2005, 14:33
Thanks Rich, guys. Engine and box out yesterday.

Box off, and clutch out i have just been to a machinist this morning about the flywheel.

He reckons that there isnt a huge amount to take off it, as its fairly light and small anyway. And having not done a Williams flywheel before is reluctant to take too much off incase it weakens it. He did say however that if i could get a photo of one already done then he would match it.

Any pics from anyone that i could use??

Thanks in advance