PDA

View Full Version : My Valver wont start!!

Scott-16v!
04-10-2005, 17:33
chuffin car wont start, after coming back from a nightmare holiday it just wont start. my bro started it on saturday but it hasn't been done since. battery was dead so a fully charged one has been put on and still no joy, sometimes it starts to turn over but then goes silent, then other times it will just click. i'm thinkin its the starter motor, is it knackered or could it just be seized cos of not being run. before i went on holiday it started first touch and ive never had any trouble with it not startin before. if the starter motor is knackerd how much is a replacement likely to set me back?? also whereabouts is the starter motor cos ive not had a proper look underneath yet.
thanks, scott.

northy
04-10-2005, 17:38
take the wires off the starter, clean and reattach - see if thats any better.

Scott-16v!
04-10-2005, 17:41
where is it? :oops: is it easy to get to cos my cars quite low at the front so not great for gettin under :shock:

Andyvalver
04-10-2005, 19:23
Unlucky mate. Think the starters at the back near the maniflod. Im not 100% though. :?

Rich
04-10-2005, 19:52
yup at the back under the zorst manifold and under the smaller of the 2 heatshields! and yes you are better at it from underneath mate so get the jack out!

Scott-16v!
04-10-2005, 19:56
if i can get the jack under the sill lol :lol: , gonna spend the mornin on it tommorrow, i think my alarms fukked aswell cos it wont function properly anymore, looks like that needs disconnectin and sortin out. just as i was sayin my valver had been fairly economical to run *sighs* :roll:

SilverValver
04-10-2005, 21:39
just wack it. Its attatched to the back right hand bottom side of the engine. I wacked the one on my rt to fix it. Its the solonoid sticking!-im 100% certain

Rich
04-10-2005, 22:04
believe me mate the renault jack will until you have clearence for a proper one to slot in ;) just ask winston

Scott-16v!
04-10-2005, 22:07
yeah i noticed the renault one will its trolleys i have probelms with :oops: :lol:

BRUN
05-10-2005, 00:12
funnily enough mine did this yesterday and i couldnt get to work, had to get a taxi

my mate came round to help and after me ripping half the dash off thinking it might be my immobiliser, we blew some dust out of the relay box next to the battery and wiggled the earth wires on the battery and it worked

ive changed my battery clamp today for a better one and added 2 extra earths

Coops
05-10-2005, 00:28
its the earthing on the starter motor itself, theres 2 connectors on the motor, a big fat live one that bolted on and a little piddly crap earth thats just a spade connector, its a common fault as the spade n clip get corroded n connection cant be made, ave em off, clean em up with wire wool n ur laffin! i had it on my 1.4rt so since i got my valver have cleaned it up neway dispite no problems as yet n sprayed em with wd40 every month to keep it water free!!!, specially since its winter!

Coops

Scott-16v!
05-10-2005, 04:24
cheers for all the advice lads i'll be having a go at it after ive been to manchester airport at this stupid hour :roll: , let you know how it goes

Rich
05-10-2005, 07:59
your spade 'earth' is the starter solenoid, if thats playin up it just whir's over and doesn't click when you go to start it

Scott-16v!
05-10-2005, 09:30
its just clicks, just got back from manchester so havin some breakfast then havin a look

Scott-16v!
05-10-2005, 16:03
she's workin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
cleaned all the battery terminals n stuff, made sure it was fully charged, sorted out the immobiliser, towed it down the road and it fired up with a cough and a splutter and a bit of smoke lol :shock:
then put £20 of unleaded it, revved its arse off and drove it like i stole it :twisted: :P
thanks again for advice given.