PDA

View Full Version : will this mess ur enigine or gear box up?

Mattie
04-10-2005, 12:53
as we all kno by ragin the shit out of ur car ie. red linin it etc puts more wear n tare on ur engine....

my question is..

wot if you drive ur car, say at 30mph up a hill in 5th gear ie.drive at low speeds in high gears.....gd 4 saving petrol :lol: but wot kind of effects can it have on ur engine AND gear box as i constantly do this and have just had a new gear box, dont wana **** it up :? or my engine 4 tha matta! :shock:

let me kno wot u think people! :D

northy
04-10-2005, 12:59
depends how u stress things.

if u dont accerate hard and do 40in 5th - thats fine.

but 5th at 20mph and floor it will not do it much good i can tell ya.

just drive normally and then open it up a bit.

a new box has a warrenty for a year - make sure u know u have a good one in that time frame :wink:

dannyt
04-10-2005, 13:05
Some good words of advice there northy!

I agree, if your going up a hill and 5th starts to struggle, then 3rd or second is a better option, so the engine isn't struggling!

But then again, your new gearbox, might not be anything to do with you, it might be to do with the way previous owners have treated the car etc, ware and tare!

2 live
04-10-2005, 13:28
personally..id rag the shit out of it n hope it breaks before the warranty runs out.then get a new un hehe

Mattie
04-10-2005, 13:45
personally..id rag the shit out of it n hope it breaks before the warranty runs out.then get a new un hehe

PMSL.....thats exactly wot i was finkin! :lol: iv got a yrs warrenty or 12k miles which ever cums 1st! :D

stan
04-10-2005, 14:10
maximum net stress is induced on the crank/rods/pistons when u have maximum load and minimum engine speed e.g. driving in 5th at 1500rpm then flooring it, and worse still, up a hill since ur keeping the rpm low

Lunner
04-10-2005, 15:32
Driving at very low revs in high gears uses more petrol, becasue you are having to open teh throttle more to go teh same distance, what conserves petrol is accelerating very slowley, and not actuyally opening the throttle much, and keeping the revs between 2-2.5k ish

Mattie
04-10-2005, 16:30
betta start drivin diferently then! :shock: ...lol