PDA

View Full Version : Is Dony a brake killer??

Mooseman
03-10-2005, 17:20
Right, have spent the majority of the day pissing about trying to sort out some spare pads for the return journey of this up and coming sunday, and i have been pasted with people's thoughts on what kind of pads i need - this is ofcourse a clio forum, so i'll dispense the RX7 techno talk :wink: but is Dony traditionally a brake killing track??? Obviously it all depends on how hard you drive blah blah blah, rest assured FULL beans will be had :twisted: Unfortunately, if I get any reactions saying 'yes, it is' reliable pads will cost more than the track day :oops:

Swervin_Mervin
03-10-2005, 17:29
I would've thought so due to a few high speed areas, but I wouldn't like to say. Depends how slow some of the corners are. The final chicane before the main straight could be a killer.

northy
03-10-2005, 17:31
never driven donnington yet - but i would be more worried with brake fade rather than brake wear !

Mooseman
03-10-2005, 17:44
yeah i think thats the prob - my stocks, according to some serious boys who go to the ring etc, will heat up, sheer or delaminate and basically mean an early retirement from the fun :cry:

so much for trying to do this on a budget!! :?

Fred
03-10-2005, 20:40
its not that bad, the only 2 major braking points are at the end of the back straight, and the end of the start/finish

there are only 6 brake points on the entire circuit from "driving the circuit in my head"

edde
03-10-2005, 20:42
The ring is a very different track than any other tracks its 21KM (13 miles or so) so its like 5 none stop hard driven laps. I've found that few places on the ring let me use the full ability of the car since the track very uneven slam on the brakes and the car couldn't grip as the road wasn't even. This hard use of the dampers will heat them up on a normal track the roads nice and flat so the dampers don't move as much.

So long as you come off ever 4 laps hard driving you'll be fine even if the car does suffer. Letting the car cool down is the big thing and will help preserve the brakes and tyres massively. I've seen people do track days and the ring plus thousands of normal miles on 172's and the tyres arent bad as they keep cooling down. Drive like I do all the time lap after lap and the tyres will get hot and sticky and wear very quick.

richy
03-10-2005, 20:52
i dont think it will be to bad aslong as ur not going out hammering it for along time each time a few was suffereing brake fade at anglesey but mainly down to lenght of time out on trck, was only 2 braking points there!

Fred
03-10-2005, 23:39
you'll be fine for 10lap sessions, i'd do at least 2 cool down laps though without touching the brakes

summeh
04-10-2005, 00:11
some good advice cheers... just got some brand new eagle f1's fitted all round, wanna try and preserve them :D

reminds me i need to do a brake fluid change before sunday :shock:

Mooseman
04-10-2005, 09:08
Thanks fellas, just what I wanted to hear :)

I was told to get £150 pads (front only, incl delivery + VAT) which nearly made me soil myself :? I'm sure they are very good pads, but not for normal daily use, for proper track use. I'm gonna stick to some uprated pads for about £50 and do exactly that, mix up my hard laps with some easier laps to cool down everything.

Its all a GO :twisted: