PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Smell

TVL1
03-10-2005, 15:56
Hi all! How is everyone! Finally i have found a clio willy forum, i have owned my little baby for about 6-7months now and its just fab, by far the best car i have owned yet! Although in saying that things are starting to go with it, like with most cars things tend to go eventually i know. I have a really bad smell of petrol entering my car at the moment, i can't seem to identify where it is coming from i just know i can smell it inside the car, does anyone have any suggestions or tips please? Thanks! :roll:

northy
03-10-2005, 16:14
hello and welcome to the club.

Not to sure i can help you with your problem, but one thing you can check are the pipes which come from the fuel tank under the rear seats.

if u take the bench out (comes out in two parts) u will see a large rubber round cover, remove this and u will see 3 pipes, just make sure that they are all tight and check for leaky fuel.

Also check the metal pipe just above your alternator - as the clip can break and allow the pipe to fall onto the alternator.

has your petrol consumption got worse ?

FATBOY
03-10-2005, 16:26
soz i cant help mate but im sure theres plenty others on here who can! but just wanna say welcome to the club and the world of williams ownership! :D

Lunner
03-10-2005, 20:03
Check the fuel lines from the bottem of the car under the driver's footwell up to the fuel rail, thats where, when i had my smell of fuel it was comming from, the lines, being 10 years old had cracked and were leaking vapour, 2 nice braided jobbies later and all was well

mon
03-10-2005, 23:26
that happened to me the pipe falling on the alternator cut it right through..

drove 10 miles to get it home shit my self lost half of the fuel + was ill for 2 days

peaced the pipe up with peace of tube then tie raped it to braket just above the belt

been ok for 2 years

would not mine it was night when i was looking in engine with a lit fag and a house lamp trying to see the problem :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

f--k man

TwisT
05-10-2005, 10:00
check the condition of the flexi-pipes supplying fuel to the injection rail. the rail is in front of the engine block, on the side closest to the front bumper. You may have a small plastic cover held in with 2 screws covering this up, take it off and have a look when the engine is running.

TVL1
05-10-2005, 10:02
would not mine it was night when i was looking in engine with a lit fag and a house lamp trying to see the problem :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh dear! That was pretty serious, so we are lucky to have you here then! haha

Ok guys thanks for all your help i will go home tonight and get the better half to check all these suggestions for me!

Thanks again! x

TriO`
05-10-2005, 10:59
hi , welcome to the forums ...

my car stinks of petrol too :D.. .i quite like it tho

ben_j
05-10-2005, 11:45
i think you'll find you'll def have a split fuel line somewhere, will be hard to see tho as it evaporates quickly

TVL1
05-10-2005, 11:56
Yes i guess i must do, but where is the question! :roll: My father in law has a pit in his garage so i guess i will have to get the other half to take it up there this weekend and look for it, its really unnerving though knowing your car has leaking fuel somewhere?! There are no marks on the driveway though, does that matter?

Lunner
05-10-2005, 12:21
No, its very vary hard to tell where fuel is leaking, because inless you have a big leak it tends to evapourate before it even runs off the pipe or hits the floor.

Just chekc the lines for cracking etc, and if in doubt replace them, its a 10 minute job at worst and lines aren't that much new from Renault.

Won;t need a pit to check them really, although it might make life SLIGHTLY easier, not 100% familier where they run on the Williams though