PDA

View Full Version : My cambelts just snapped, would any1 be willing to fix it?

Tiger
03-10-2005, 10:15
anyone in scotland willing to assess the damage and fix anything needed? i was only doin 20-25 mph when it happened but becuase i didnt have a clue what was wrong i turned it over a few times to which im told does more damage?

anyone got any kind of rough price of what it'll cost me? i suppose it would have to be seen, and im preparing for the worst, heard 700 by someone :x

cheers

Tony

JayR
03-10-2005, 11:12
Thought depending on damage a rebuild after cambelt snap aswell as labour could cost in excess of a k!? :(

2 live
03-10-2005, 11:25
depends on the damage

if ur lucky it might only be a couple hundred.u wont know til its in bits

Mooseman
03-10-2005, 11:32
I paid £1k to have the cambelt and clutch done, so I'd plan for a hefty bill mate. Engine out job means minimum £500, unless you get a mate to do it! just don't go to Renault, i got quoted £930 just for the cambelt :shock:

Tiger
03-10-2005, 12:05
im not actually 100% now that this is whats happened, what would the symptons/noises to expect if it had, i just went out for a look at it there, i took the smaller plastic cover off to the left but i cant see jack, how do i defo find out it is it? or how do i get into where the belt is? i can only see the alternator belt without taking much off.......

cheers

Tony

Tommo
03-10-2005, 13:07
I paid £1k to have the cambelt and clutch done, so I'd plan for a hefty bill mate. Engine out job means minimum £500, unless you get a mate to do it! just don't go to Renault, i got quoted £930 just for the cambelt :shock:

Seems very excessive that mate, I think Nick Hill charges about £180 for a cam belt change, and you don't need to take the engine completely out, just needs lifting enough to access the cam belt iirc

2 live
03-10-2005, 13:07
what happened?

how did it stop?

what does it sound like when u try to start it?

Tiger
03-10-2005, 13:40
i just pulled out my drive and round the corner up the hill, and it just died, engine temp light went red, then the batt light went red, when it turns over it goes to start then just makes a sort of whining motorized noise.

to get the top of the timing belt cover off do i need to take off the metal chunky clamp thing that sits over the engine mount, seems like it would be the only way to get that top torx screw off the casing?

thanks for the replies folks

Tony

Rich
03-10-2005, 13:44
sounds like a cambelt to me dude, no need to take the engine out either and if they say you do tell them they are talking shit! you just need to use a block of wood and a jack under the sump before you take the top mount off. get a haynes manual and take the ehad off yourself and save yourself a lot of £££ in labour by doing that alone

Tiger
03-10-2005, 13:53
sounds like a cambelt to me dude, no need to take the engine out either and if they say you do tell them they are talking shit! you just need to use a block of wood and a jack under the sump before you take the top mount off. get a haynes manual and take the ehad off yourself and save yourself a lot of £££ in labour by doing that alone

i dont have a clue about engines mate, would never even attempt anything like that :oops: im gonna need to get someone to do it, defo not reno, id rather someone from here or CS would tackle it if possible before goin to any proper garages, im in scotland tho so its looking grim :?

2 live
03-10-2005, 13:55
mite not be too bad ....jack the engine up and pull the covers off....have a look..

Rich
03-10-2005, 14:03
mate just be confident! i didn't know jack shit a year ago and i've just finished rebuilding my engine in august! so long as you ask when you are unsure and follow instructions you will be fine mate :) as 2 live says whip the covers off and take a look before panicing