PDA

View Full Version : Engine stalls after hammering....

dannyt
30-09-2005, 07:57
it then dipping the clutch for a junction, can anyone tell me why this is?

Possibly something to do with the revs falling so fast, I have no idea???

Anyway it does it occasionally but i thought someone might know?

Cheers

Danny

gtbloke
30-09-2005, 08:04
idle speed control valve may need cleaning m8

dannyt
30-09-2005, 12:13
Cheers, how shall i do that?

J o n
30-09-2005, 12:40
take it off and soak in carb cleaner iirc pal.

Slithers
30-09-2005, 20:36
Cleaning out the ISCV does shit IMO, might aswell buy a new-un.

Check you map sensor pipe too.

dannyt
30-09-2005, 21:16
Not made of money here though mate, how much are they?

Think im gonna take it off and clean it then, is it the thing attatched to the inlet, next to the air box?

Any precautions i need to take?

Slithers
30-09-2005, 21:37
Not made of money here though mate, how much are they?

Think im gonna take it off and clean it then, is it the thing attatched to the inlet, next to the air box?

Any precautions i need to take?

It runs out of the airbox then into the inlet, near the throttle body

oh and there about 80 odd quid from eurocarparts iirc

Could be u got a gasket leak somewhere if its doin it after a hammering, maybe its summit that opens up when its hot?

mon
30-09-2005, 23:08
cleaned the idle speed control valve regular has worked for me..

brake cleaned .. wd40 and rust off then finished off with brake cleaned the valve moved very free..

helped on the tick over too

Jimbob
07-11-2005, 13:53
I have the same problem (though its very intermittant), but only when the car is cold! It improves and dissapears completely after a good hammering when warm. One noticable incident was when I was driving down the road, car was cold, and I went to downshift for a left turn and commenced the turn. As I dippd the clutch to get 2nd, the revs dropped and the bugger stalled on me, and I only had half a turn on the wheel! Goodbye power steering and my pride and joy was heading straight for an innocent motorist waiting at the junction!!! :? A quick lift of the clutch instantly jump started her and I whacked full lock on and the car turned in. Could have been nasty!!

Mattie
07-11-2005, 15:09
my mate ( _Craig on here ) had the same problem danny....

we cleaned the ISCV then the throtle body, no problem any more!

theres a guid on retro reno, u basically just have 2 soak it in carb cleaner n scrub with an old toothbrush or sumat :D

u might need 2 order a new gasket 4 the throtle body as both ours were ****d once we ad takin it off!

VIPERONE
07-11-2005, 20:25
check the iscv socket is on firmly.

Geezer
08-11-2005, 20:13
Hi mate,

Had the exact same problem on my valver, revs kept dropping to quick and stalling the car.

I cleaned the ISCV, throttle body and all connecting pipes with carb cleaner and good old scrub. Worked a treat for me and haven't had any problems since.

As iLL_MoVeS said, be careful if you take the throttle body off though, I damaged my gasket and have ended up buying a new un (paid £2 from renault) for it.

For a decent enough guide, check out http://www.retro-renault.com. It explains the basics on how to do it.

If you need any help, give us a shout and I'll point you in the right direction if you need it.

Craig

VIPERONE
08-11-2005, 21:36
dont worry about gasket, i used instand gasket on it lol to good effect