PDA

View Full Version : Ring trip laps. Just shows how good a bad car go.

edde
29-09-2005, 20:19
I never seem to have a driving tales so here goes hopefully shows the difference between knowedge or a road and the cars ability/willing to push it goes.

Germany one way autoband (the nurburg ring). On my own I overtook a 530i (new one Uk plates) on the way out of the stright and was never seen again. Stayed dead behind a carrera 911 (new one) on the way down the foxhole the driver even braked whilst I was right behind them doing over 100 which was stupid. I didn't get far away being as its the supposed sports car.
Even with one passenger (me) and a better driver we kept with a 911 carrera in the bends and overtook a old 911 and suburu up a hill after a bend.

I'm not saying I'm a good driver but it just shows how badly some cars are driven. It did help that on some laps in the wet on the standard suspension was much better that the superstiff 911's and M3's. Its just for that reaosn that I'm not sure if I got a 172/182 I'd change the suspension it might be quicker on a track in the dry but on the ring or in the wet stock suspension is quicker.

Just to give you an idea my car ran 13 minutes fully loaded on coilovers on my first trip. A few more laps experiance and on stock suspension one up I could do under 11 minutes in the dry easily. I managed 10.44 on my own on a quiet lap with a few small holdups.

c_w
04-10-2005, 15:38
Hi, one thing the Ring needs is a powerful car as most of it is flat out and the uphill sections really need big power to get up. I managed a 8m43 in my 205Mi16; some video footage here:

http://www.98ron.com/trackdays/ring05/ring05.htm

Martin
04-10-2005, 18:10
nice vid...good bit of gt4 style grasstracking lol Any idea what the spec was on he e30?

edde
04-10-2005, 20:25
Hi, one thing the Ring needs is a powerful car as most of it is flat out and the uphill sections really need big power to get up. I managed a 8m43 in my 205Mi16; some video footage here:

Did you go the the ring quite reciently for the first time? Not saying anything (I've not downloaded the vid yet) but I remember somoen mentioning a 205 Mi16 going for it on the ringers forum a while back.
What sort of speeds did you mange up the hill just before the carossell bend? The 172/182 seem to do about 110. My dci did 80 dead.
8.43 is superb though. Best cup I've ever seen was 7.41 or so with aftermarket dampers and shocks and an exhaust.

c_w
05-10-2005, 13:57
nice vid...good bit of gt4 style grasstracking lol Any idea what the spec was on he e30?

It's got a motorsport engine apparently,around 290bhp. H actually emailed me from Beliguim getting my address off a Ring forum I assume. He's done loads of laps there tho and said something about his car not set up right at the moment round the carousells as I really catch him up there but its really fast in a straight line.

On thie big uphill sections it was that steep it struggled to pull 5th properly and really only just mainted the speed I got in 4th, so probably about 110 at most. Although on that reallly steep downhill bit I hit the limiter in 5th! if you listen to the video it sits at the top end of 5th going no faster.

c_w
05-10-2005, 13:59

Did you go the the ring quite reciently for the first time? Not saying anything (I've not downloaded the vid yet) but I remember somoen mentioning a 205 Mi16 going for it on the ringers forum a while back.
What sort of speeds did you mange up the hill just before the carossell bend? The 172/182 seem to do about 110. My dci did 80 dead.
8.43 is superb though. Best cup I've ever seen was 7.41 or so with aftermarket dampers and shocks and an exhaust.

I assume you mean 8.41!!? :shock: :D

I went mid-August over a weekend, it happend to be the same weekend Practical Performance Magazine organised a trip over there too. Was the first time I'd been there and only managed 12 laps, 3 or 4 of which were just pootling round as it was damp. I managed to get 2 fast laps in on the Sunday before it closed for the evening.

Swervin_Mervin
05-10-2005, 16:30
Right click etc (http://www.auto-focus.co.uk/neb_cmax.3gp)

Focus C-Max 1.6 TDi! :P