PDA

View Full Version : Chances of getting a Williams under £2K ??

tony16v
29-09-2005, 11:36
I been thinking about getting another Clio, I got about 2K to spend and wonder if you reckon I could get a Williams for that sort of money??...

Cars dont seem to be selling at the moment, and I got the cash in the bank, so I could be in a good position to get a bargain...

Only trouble is I dont want to be spending shed loads once I've got it...

What you all think??

Cheers Tony.

northy
29-09-2005, 11:39
u can get a williams for 2k sure, have a look on the trader and ebay, but they will all be 120k plus and need attention in some way or another.

NickFr
29-09-2005, 11:43
I would say that you have 3 HOPES

NO HOPE

BOB HOPE AND

MAURICE HOPE

I think that you are maybe being a little optimistic......if you do find some, let me know and I will buy a couple myself....GOOD HUNTING :wink:

tony16v
29-09-2005, 11:45
Think ebay may be my best hope....

NickFr
29-09-2005, 11:46
u can get a williams for 2k sure, have a look on the trader and ebay, but they will all be 120k plus and need attention in some way or another.

What like a New Engine, Bodywork, Clutch, Gearbox, Wheels :oops: Got to be realistic.....a quality 16V maybe, but a Williams......poss with NO service History and most of the above problems :(

Swervin_Mervin
29-09-2005, 11:48
Irish Nut paid under £2k. I think the engine was the only bit that didn't need any work.

northy
29-09-2005, 11:52
£2600 ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-RENAULT-CLIO-WILLIAMS-2-BLUE_W0QQitemZ4578974751QQcategoryZ9861QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

tony16v
29-09-2005, 12:13
Suppose you get what you pay for at the end of the day....

Maybe just have to keep my eye out for a bargain..

NickFr
29-09-2005, 12:22
Suppose you get what you pay for at the end of the day....

Maybe just have to keep my eye out for a bargain..

Better to wait and buy a good example :wink:

Enid
29-09-2005, 12:56
I reeckon you'd get one but it would be far from tidy! I would imagine the worst bits would be the bodywork on a 2k car, its 2k for a reason and the old rust worm has probably set in to it.

Andyvalver
29-09-2005, 14:15
Dont think you would get a gooden for 2k really. If all goes to plan i MIGHT have 3k saved next may/june time to buy myself one :) . Otherwise you could get a hybrid for 2k :P

Mattie
29-09-2005, 14:34
iv seen quite a few for 2k and under.....if you find 1 for under 2k m8 dont buy it though lol.....ull be spendin shizle loads on it on repairs etc!

Zollo
29-09-2005, 15:22
If you can find a bit more than 2000, I could be tempted.

stew
29-09-2005, 16:36
if you want the power at a cheaper price hyrbid is the way to go! not MINT but who cares, spend some money on em, and uve got a perfect pocket rocket. depends wot u want it for....would be nice to say...ive got a williams....but then again 2.0L clio sounds just as good!

danny1
30-09-2005, 15:34
just got mine from ebay, for 1750 quid.

There is nothing wrong with it, it has full service history & is good condition, little scratch on the rear window where it got broke into, apart from that nothing, I dont think.

Link to ebay auction I won,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4576118333&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

northy
30-09-2005, 16:18
wow - (sorry but i checked to see what else u bought)

did this auction complete on this ???

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/e4/b2/82_12_sb.JPG

byers
30-09-2005, 16:37
i paid 2500 full service ive spent a bit though getting it to what i want though no shes mint il keep her. id save a little more although ebay is the best bet i got mine of ebay but i went to see it first..

stew
30-09-2005, 17:07
"found any bargins on ebay today darling?"

"......erm well ..........i saw this house and couldnt resist! were movin in next week!" :shock: :shock:

FOOK buying a house thru ebay like! Good luck!

danny1
30-09-2005, 18:31
yea, I sell lots of houses on ebay, mainly offline, when people enquire from ebay, I have more on offer. I run www.bulgarianpropertygroup.co.uk

Thaught I wouyld try ebay, worked well.

BRUN
30-09-2005, 18:52
ive been to Bulgaria, loved it

jackgilroy
30-09-2005, 18:58
that clio williams on ebay has no MOT or TAX though!!!! For £1,750

danny1
30-09-2005, 22:58
yea, I won the car, then made him mot it!!!! :idea: , I said if it will sait thru, i will give you the 40 quid, he said he had to spend 50 on it, as he had a few things like cv boot ect..

so i got it with 12 months mot. tax??? thanks for reminding me. :wink:

I think it was a bargain, a lovely car, but I have done 1 mod reverse, I took off the drilled airbox & put a proper one on. Dont want too much attention when my wifey is driving it. :evil:

In the boot, there were loads of parts, like clutch cable, set of windows, (Side) & other stuff.

Enid
01-10-2005, 09:28

There is nothing wrong with it, it has full service history & is good condition, little scratch on the rear window where it got broke into, apart from that nothing, I dont think.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4576118333&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

That looks like a bit of a baragin that does mate.

Jamie.
01-10-2005, 09:31

winning bidder...... hotsarah2005 something u not telling us "danny" lol. :wink:

danny1
01-10-2005, 15:39
wife, thaught that might be an easy one for you!

TVL1
11-10-2005, 11:59
I have an l reg willy, but i am not sure if its a 1 or a 2? Can anyone help me out here? If there are any serious buyers out there then i may be willing to consider offers? I would be looking for around the 2200 mark? Its immaculate, wheels have been fully refurbed this year and there is not a mark of rust on her. 100k miles. Any takers?

David
11-10-2005, 12:10
any pictures TVL1???

TVL1
11-10-2005, 12:20
David, i haven't got any just yet, i will get some taken hopefully this week and i will post them on the site for you, i will let you know when i get them. Can you tell me is it a 1 or a 2 and how do you distinguish this? Did the two's start at m reg?

Zollo
11-10-2005, 12:22
Have you got a gold numbered plaque on the dash? If so, it's a Willie 1

TVL1
11-10-2005, 12:24
Yes i do, ahh so do willy twos not have the plaques on the dash? sorry for being blonde, i have just never known the answer to this question!?

J o n
11-10-2005, 12:29
personally speaking I think people on here and in the autotrader etc are de-valuing the Williams by asking for shitty low prices. a valver hybrid cost £3k+ and your comparing it to a car that has the same spec but is special and unique... not to mention ****ing rare... please stop all this nonsense of £2k Williams, they will be tired and worn in 99% of cases.

If i were to sell mine I'd be wanting TOP money, as everything that needs and doesn't need replacing has been, it has more newer components on it than most 172's... i'll NEVER sell this car now tho, cant replace it with anything to match or surpass it for the money... or even double the money... I'm sure some people will say Scoobs, Evo's etc, but it's only the motorway where they are going to be faster, even in the wet they aint all that. So come on, lets not have any talk of selling Williams' and getting 2k ones. If your going to get one pay top money, it's not just a car, it's an experience and a peice of motoring history and the only hot hatch of it's era to not be surpassed.

Zollo
11-10-2005, 12:35
Yes i do, ahh so do willy twos not have the plaques on the dash? sorry for being blonde, i have just never known the answer to this question!?

Nope, only the Ones have the plaque. As Jesus says - if it's as good as you say - it's worth at least a grand more than what you're asking.

TVL1
11-10-2005, 12:36
I totally agree with what you are saying 'the jesus', i was wondering how much i would get for my baby though, i was interested more than anything, i actually think the one i have is one of the better willy 1's so i would be very very sorry to see him go. He really has no rust whatsoever and the wheels are just like brand new due to them being refurbished. I realise its a piece of motoring history as they are so rare but sometimes you just gotta move on if you know what i mean?

David
11-10-2005, 12:37
Total agree Jesus said very very well!!!

Not to shaw about the Evo's Scooby statement but everythng else spot on!!!!!

Gettin another original next month spending over 5k and it will be my keeper :D

TVL1
11-10-2005, 12:39
Ok, sorry, i think i have hit a raw nerve here...?! I do totally agree with everything you have said. I am so lucky to have the car i have got and i would find it so so hard to give up...

Zollo
11-10-2005, 12:40
But you're willing to sell it for bugger all? :?

TVL1
11-10-2005, 12:44
Whoa...listen you lot, you are like a pack of wolves... i don't actually see 2200 as 'bugger all' to be perfectly honest with you, obviously i am not on the same wage as you guys?! Ok i guess i was more interested than than anything? Most of the willys i have looked at/seen for sale have been around the 1800 mark so i thought 2200 was a bit steep but obviously not. Well thats nice to know, now will you please all stop with the digs! I wish i had never said anything now! :oops:

David
11-10-2005, 12:49
NO!!!! :lol:

TVL1 only kidding mate dont think any body ment to come across as digging as you put it. Just a general misunderstanding on everybody's behalf me tinks.
But fair play if you got yours that cheap and it is as mint as you say it is then fair play !! but if you look to sell it dont forget to advertise it on here first as your more likely to get correct value!!!

Zollo
11-10-2005, 12:51
TVL1, I didn't mean to sound like a dig. I just can't see where you're getting those prices from? Here you go, all the Williams' in the country that are for sale on Autotrader...

*Bollocks to putting the URL up, was making it far too difficult to read*

Anyway, £2000 up to £5000 seems about right, depending on condition :D

J o n
11-10-2005, 12:52
TVL1, I think the reason the cars are going cheap is because of this panick buy and sell attitude at the moment, hold out and get some good money, sounds like it should be £5k+, as if its got no rust on the arches that's at LEAST £500 someone doesn't have to spend... add another £500 for the fact it's an original Willy 1. people know the market is bad, but selling cars on the cheap wont help it, may as well hold out, be confident in the fact you have a mint ORIGINAL Williams 1, basically the car people will want. There's a lot of shitters out there, so dont price yours anywhere near them, otherwise it's tarnished with the same brush and your losing money. If people can ask £3.5k for a mint converted valver, then the Willy has to be worth it as i've said, the wide track alone is worth a grand... I fear that the only way people will get good money is if they start breaking them for parts at this rate... that would be a travesty imo.

David, the Scooby/Evo statment i feel is accurate and stand by it, only classics really bother me on the straight line stuff (or serious models, forget new STi's, they need at least 300bhp now) and for all their grip they have no where near the composure or adjustability in the bends, factor that in with not going into bends all that fast due to 4WD grip (as it's all about pointing at the exit and booting it really and correcting any oversteer), if you do you get severe understeer... which then turns to oversteer quite quickly if your not careful...
I've had some bad experiences being in the passenger seats of Impreza's... if had good experiences smoking some on the straights and mullering them round track and most roads. Yes it sounds very difficult to believe, if someone had said the same to me a couple of years ago i'd have told them to piss off, but people dont quite realise how well these cars handle and how fast they can be made to go... and some are just downright freakishly fast anyway... 2 live's for example runs 14.6 std, an Impreza Classic Turbo WRX runs mid to low(ish) 14's, yet launches over a second faster to 60. Could quote figures all day I guess, but once I have a permanent media feed in my car EVERYTHING will be recorded and posted here.

TVL1
11-10-2005, 12:54
Thats ok then David, i realise i have touched a raw nerve though and don't think ill be going there again! Yes i will advertise on here first i tink, but yes it is as mint as i say it is i promise. I can't fault him at all, i have had a bit of trouble with a smell of fuel lately although that has now been fixed, it was a leaking fuel line. I have also just put a new clutch cable/pedal on him to. I do love him to pieces but myself and my partner are planning to have a family soon and may have to go down to one car so you may see it on here quicker than i had hoped! Thanks for the discussion guys and i now feel even better for owning such a nice car!

J o n
11-10-2005, 12:56
lol, TVL1, we are not having a dig bud, just genuinely concerned for your wallet and where the car goes. someone that picks up a Willy for £2200 will drive it like a £2200 car in my experience... if your really going to sell it for that let me know, I'll consider taking it off you as I've always wanted a mint Willy 1.

Think we're just saying be careful is all,didn't mean to sound harsh or owt, was just offering my usual frank opinion which does make me come accross as a twat sometimes when you dont know me... my fault tho, not yours! appologies :oops:

David
11-10-2005, 13:03
Jesus agree with you but if you say Evo & Scoobys as a whole then yes but the way i read it sounded like you came across as even the new ones and top spec old ones arn't a challange :)

Believe me when i say i love Williams i do ever since my accicedent in one every day i walk past my bedroom door and see the plaque staring right back at me then grap my cars keys to a nail of Vulver(which i have just blown up in the last couple of weeks) and it hurts :cry:

Cant wait till next month to get myself another !!!
going to strip vulver put willy track on it mod engine to 180bhpish then i can join you round the uk tracks nailing shitty WRX's

No hard feeelings
David

TVL1
11-10-2005, 13:09
Ok guys thanks for the apologies, thats ok i just thought you where all ganging up on me a wee bit, me being a girl and all that! lol!! I will now go and rethink my price a bit i think! sorry jesus, i maybe won't be selling it at 2200! I am actually genuinly surprised that my little babe will fetch that amount of cash, although when i think about it really, i shouldn't be surprised as like i say he really is fab! It sounds daft but i have named him...the reg is L** EKK so he is named...little ekk, sad i know! That proves to you all just how much i love it!

J o n
11-10-2005, 13:09
well with the 2 live tuning 'box' I think on the move 280bhp Classic Scoobs and Evo's would be fair game... afterall, 2 live was pulling on an Evo of some sort on the Oulton Park day and we are almost identical spec.

NickFr
11-10-2005, 15:40
Thought you were a Girl....when you said you were having a "Blonde moment". Good luck with Little EKK :shock:

The prices in France for William's are generally higher than the UK..30% more is not untypical....however they go from 3,000 euros to 12,000 euros or £2000 to £8000.....owners here are very "Bullish" about the price that they expect for their Cars, although the condition and mileage of the car often bears no relation to the price being asked....Dreamers :roll:

I also should add that a car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, here people will wait months and months to sell, where as in the UK patience gives way to desperation!....at the moment it appears to be a buyers Market. Jesus having driven a Williams and seen some of the Vids etc...I totally agree that for the Money nothing beats them!

TVL1
11-10-2005, 15:43
Thanks Nickfr, yes i am a girl! And thanks for the good luck vote...can i ask one more question, when you all say 'minted', what do you class as being minted/good condition for a willy 1? Just out of curiosity?!

NickFr
11-10-2005, 15:50
Good condition of bodywork, no dents, rust around arches. Inside very clean no tears in seats, original spec. Wheels in good condtion. Full service history.....blah blah..... :wink: