PDA

View Full Version : How much diff will cams actually make?

Tom16v
28-09-2005, 23:28
As above really! Been looking in to getting some awt cams and just wondered what the diff would be like bearing in mind my few other mods?

My spec so far is:-

Straight through exhaust and decat
HP chip
Modded airbox with itg filter
supersprint manifold and a few other bits and pieces....

J o n
29-09-2005, 09:47
been covered before a few times, but my untimed cams are the equivalent of a chip wizards remap as there wasn't much difference between myself and 2 live. difference over standard is you should be all over them. once timed and mapped i'd imagine 14.0's are on the cards.

Willyhybrid
29-09-2005, 09:52
OOooooh I want my hybrid!!! (It has cams already) :D

2 live
29-09-2005, 10:05
dependant on the rest of the engine....

for some reason mine still seems a bit of a freak..

Willyhybrid
29-09-2005, 10:07
Oh man!!! I WANT MY CAR!!! :D

Martin
29-09-2005, 10:49
Cams, shmams :lol:

Winston
29-09-2005, 11:44
^Amen :P ^

Bit hit and miss imo

NickFr
29-09-2005, 11:59
Cams, shmams :lol:

"Strombanism" :shock:

Tom16v
29-09-2005, 13:52
Hmm mine is on standard cams now and with my gtech it did a 14.4 1/4. Bit diff on the strip though....hmmm decisions!

J o n
29-09-2005, 14:01
dependant on the rest of the engine....

for some reason mine still seems a bit of a freak..

without the chip your same mods as me (apart from cams...) and the difference over standard was easily noticable.

Jamie.
29-09-2005, 14:04
surley 1/4 times here would be the best method of comparison and there must be tonnes of examples. the difference from my experience is 80+. ive been in a modded williams with cams and to 60 it was similar but above that it would really start to pull away

Martin
29-09-2005, 14:25
Well I think cams are a bit hit & miss as winston says.....if you start off with a good engine they will make it a bit quicker and likewise with a poor engine but don't expect the world.....

My old williams 14.9 without cams/headwork/map with 14.7
Monkeys williams 14.99 with cams/map 14.6 with...

veloce200
29-09-2005, 14:43
what are the timing figures of the cams? You have to get the compression ratio to suit the cams otherwise they won't deliver their best.

J o n
29-09-2005, 14:48
Well I think cams are a bit hit & miss as winston says.....if you start off with a good engine they will make it a bit quicker and likewise with a poor engine but don't expect the world.....

know what your saying mate, but look at your old figures in the nana compared to Winstons, not much in it... however on the road the difference is obvious.

Kents deffo make a difference too, But TheJesus kill's engines for fun :lol: (any news on that??)

GazTwo
29-09-2005, 14:54

know what your saying mate, but look at your old figures in the nana compared to Winstons, not much in it... however on the road the difference is obvious.

Kents deffo make a difference too, But TheJesus kill's engines for fun :lol: (any news on that??)

Don't we know it....wonder how long this one will last..... [-(

Winston
29-09-2005, 14:57
Don't think mine would have any trouble keeping up with the banana these days......It would be very close :D

It's all about my 99mph terminal :P :wink:

GazTwo
29-09-2005, 15:04
Don't think mine would have any trouble keeping up with the banana these days......It would be very close :D

It's all about my 99mph terminal :P :wink:

i wont ever find out as im gay and will never 1/4mile..... :wink:

FlamingMonkey
29-09-2005, 15:07

To be fair though 14.6 is poor I know for a fact it will do quicker, comparisons on way to York would of been better, 14.6 is not the best that the car can do I'm 100% positive of that.

You could take 1/4 mile times as crap too, my car has run 14.0, because I had a good start, banana had a 14.0 but if it had been lanched like mine it would of been in the 13's easily.

Comparing mine with Andy and Northys on way to York I pulled every time, even with me setting off behind them, they did have passengers, so my lead would of been reduced, but mine is definatly quicker with cams and remap.

I think my poor terminals on the strip only equate to the Valver manifold, which seems to restrict the car top end, this will be coming off soon for a proper comparison.

All in all cams AND remap make a difference, but so does stripping it beyond any level of comfort, and this is cheaper, as demonstrated by Winstons and Martins times.

In my mind the quickest car still is/was 2lives, he would run low 14's with just seats removed, this is a test of how quick the car is, but when running different levels of trim its impossible to have a proper comparison.

northy
29-09-2005, 15:13
thats very true monkey, although jon has only run a 14.0 once to my knowledge - but removing the seats and spare is as far as i will ever go cause I'm a right big poof!!!

think martin should strip mine for me.

J o n
29-09-2005, 15:23
think he's run a couple, but it is without doubt the quickest 2.0 on std inlet for a Clio and no forced insuction of any kind. even on the road it was as fast as the nana when that was stripped out if jon was on his own.

i remember going to Cobham and the comparisons we had, my 3rd gear being incredible at the time (as Northy can confirm 2 up with Matt on way to york it pulled a car straight away) and Jon still instantly pulled past even after giving me a head start... unreal. he'd be in 4th too, about 70-80 we usually went from (pvt roads of course). only time I could keep with the 1 in front was on FCS, as I was on my own and Jon had Gibbo in with him, clearly weight makes a difference as he pulled a car then that was in, nothing til my limiter... at this point 2 live just pisses off... just goes to show that stripping the car out is the best way to go quicker, as it has more of an impact on power to weight than simply putting more power in. 2 lives car must have been close to 200bhp on most rollers imo.

northy
29-09-2005, 15:33
its been a long time since we all had a comparrison together.

1/4miling all on the same day is the best way to tell, and a few do's on the track.

GazTwo
29-09-2005, 15:43
Best comparisons we do are the m/way ones, 1/4 miling is also down to driver and experience....the m/way comparisons give more of an idea on how the cars are.

Even on the track it's down to driver and car setup.....straight line driving, starting in 3rd or 4th will tell u how the CARS differ.

J o n
29-09-2005, 15:44
yeah i wanna see what the difference between us Richy when both running just us in the car and also if i can sort this blow out. that will show what difference the cams make as we were even before... are you taking the back seats out for it?

FlamingMonkey
29-09-2005, 15:49
Best comparisons we do are the m/way ones, 1/4 miling is also down to driver and experience....the m/way comparisons give more of an idea on how the cars are.

Even on the track it's down to driver and car setup.....straight line driving, starting in 3rd or 4th will tell u how the CARS differ.

=D>

northy
29-09-2005, 15:51
yes, back seats are out now, as is the spare and jack.

ive also left the spare wheel case at home :D

makes the back end alittle more playfull around a track.

im going to donny with the same set up jesus, but will have a passenger, plus a little luggage.

GazTwo
29-09-2005, 15:52
Best hope u don't get a puncture then :!:

northy
29-09-2005, 15:55
well i might take the spare with me, but i need to collect it from brighouse.

GazTwo
29-09-2005, 15:57
Don't forget the banner.

J o n
29-09-2005, 16:00
I should have collected my valver wheels off Mat Brown by then, so if your stuck I can sort you out. I'll also have 2 live and some shit in the car, so should have a good even comparison this time :)

(Jon, can you sort the blow in me zorst out pleeeeeeese :D )

GazTwo
29-09-2005, 16:02
Were goin down on Saturday Jon, northy is coming on Sunday....will have to play on the way home.

J o n
29-09-2005, 16:11
what a cheapskate fag... ffs Rich, sort it out... :roll:

northy
29-09-2005, 16:30
lol, im not it fag boy.

Martin
29-09-2005, 21:32

To be fair though 14.6 is poor I know for a fact it will do quicker, comparisons on way to York would of been better, 14.6 is not the best that the car can do I'm 100% positive of that.

You could take 1/4 mile times as crap too, my car has run 14.0, because I had a good start, banana had a 14.0 but if it had been lanched like mine it would of been in the 13's easily.

Comparing mine with Andy and Northys on way to York I pulled every time, even with me setting off behind them, they did have passengers, so my lead would of been reduced, but mine is definatly quicker with cams and remap.

I think my poor terminals on the strip only equate to the Valver manifold, which seems to restrict the car top end, this will be coming off soon for a proper comparison.

All in all cams AND remap make a difference, but so does stripping it beyond any level of comfort, and this is cheaper, as demonstrated by Winstons and Martins times.

In my mind the quickest car still is/was 2lives, he would run low 14's with just seats removed, this is a test of how quick the car is, but when running different levels of trim its impossible to have a proper comparison.

Aye I know what you mean your car will deffo do sub 14.5 at Pod imo ...what I'm saying is though you can't expect a 2live like difference in all cars after cams...that car was a one off freak imo. The nana ran 14.3@98mph and 14.08@98.6mph with cams/remap in the same spec so not a major difference.
I am still thinking of getting cams for mine..but first I'm gonna get some lighweight wheels & windows as this is guaranteed improvement in performance...
Oh and I'm up for a little comparison on the way to donny..been a while since I've had a proper doo. Reminds me of you hitting the limiter in 5th when having a doo with my old williams onthe way back from york *memorys lol*

FlamingMonkey
30-09-2005, 09:09
hehe not hit the limiter with the new limit myself but it does go past 150...lol

2 live
30-09-2005, 10:04
Aye I know what you mean your car will deffo do sub 14.5 at Pod imo ...what I'm saying is though you can't expect a 2live like difference in all cars after cams...that car was a one off freak imo. The nana ran 14.3@98mph and 14.08@98.6mph with cams/remap in the same spec so not a major difference.

yeah but dont forget.the nana was running a hell of a lot lighter than mine. mine usually runs with only rear seats and spare wheel out.....and 1/2 tank o juice.....same spec weightwise but without the cams n re-map.ran 14.6s

so the cams n re-map took roughly 0.6-0.8 of my time, cos i reckon it would have gone quicker..just unfortunate it came to an untimely end hehe

2 live
30-09-2005, 10:06
btw^^^^^^thats with 2 different bottom ends also.willy 1 ran the 14.6,without cams/re-map, the meg 14.0 with cams n re-map

Martin
30-09-2005, 19:17
aye thats what I mean...your was quick before cams and just silly after, most cars won't see the gain your had..of 0.6-0.8 up the strip