PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brakes on Valver & RT

smokey
28-09-2005, 15:08
Well my willy discs, calipers & pads turned up today so I need to fit them to the RT asap and I have just changed the brakes on the Hybrid so they need doing too.

Whats the best way to do this?

Is there anything I need to buy apart from DOT4 fluid? How much will I need for each car?

Never done the brakes before so any guidance much appreciated

Are there guides for bleeding the brakes?

Ta

edde
28-09-2005, 17:16
Best buy about 3~4 liters of the stuff you'll only need a liter at worst per car but if your anything like me you'll end up with it all over the drive and using it to check parts are clean etc. You can always return it if you don't open it.

Make sure you use an easy bleed though, don't end up like me with a broken master cylinder just because you pushed the piston back in.
Best buy one of those eazy bleed kits from halford the ones which use a car tyres there very easy to use (so long as you remmeber to tigthen it properly and use all the seals).

Assuming both cars don't have ABS thn you need to bleed the calipers in this order.
right hand rear
left hand front
left hand rear
right hand front

Using the easy bleed makes it easy all you have to do is fill the tank with fluid. take the top of your brake reservior and stick the top in the easy bleed on there (screw it on tight and make sure the rubber seals there I use a pair of pliers to get a good seal). Thenattached the long pipe on the easy bleed to the tytpe and make sure no air leaks or fluid leaks out of the reservior top.
Then just remove the dust cap fron the relevent caliper and stick a spanner (8mm I think) ontop of them. when you remove the inital tigthness stick one of the clear pipes from the kit you have on the top of the bleed nippleand stick the other end in a bottle (we don't want all that nasty stuff going over the drive or down the grids). loosen the screw a bit more and keep and keep a eye on the tube. Depending how bad the caipers are you can have to wait upto 30 seconds or in extreme cases when the brakes are realy bad a minute till fluid starts comming through the pipe. Keep the pipe open for a bit even when the fluid going down the pipe to make sure there no other air pockets (mine had loads even after about a minute of running through) you'll see the air bubbles in the pipe and hear them once they come out of the pipe. Once your happy there no air left close the bleed nippe reasonably tight (as you found it) remove all the pipes and put the dust cap back on then. Repeat this at all calipers. Check the fluid level in the eazybleed kit you might need to disconnect the tyre and fill up the easy bleed tank once or twice depends how bad the brakes are. When you've finsihed remember to wash or least poor water all over the wheels and brakes to get rid of any brake fluid which might have gone on the wheels as it destrosy wheels and paint work.

James Clio 16v
28-09-2005, 22:36
edde,

You are right, it is an 8mm spanner for the bleed nipples.

Dancliovalver
28-09-2005, 22:56
how much do these easy bleed kits cost guys?

edde
28-09-2005, 23:06
how much do these easy bleed kits cost guys?
£9.99 or £19.99 I think (I know theres a big difference but I cannot remember which its probably the £19.99) there worth every penny though.

rt_blackpool
05-11-2006, 09:06
Assuming both cars don't have ABS thn you need to bleed the calipers in this order.
right hand rear
left hand front
left hand rear
right hand front

i know im digging up the past a bit with this, but i just want to double check a couple of things.
firstly - right hand = drivers side and left hand = pass side?
secondly, i always thought you bleed the furthest away from the master cylinder, (so rear pass, rear drivers, front pass, front drivers)?

Chris H
05-11-2006, 11:29
its doesn't really matter if you do the front or rear first.

Doing the right rear and the front left means you have bled 1 circuit, then the right front and left rear means the other circuit is done.