PDA

View Full Version : TICKOVER! #NEW PROBLEM HELP-WITH PICS!!#

wilyolddave
27-09-2005, 22:53
:? Only got one prob with the willy2 at the mo and that is a high tickover!!! when cold it is ok dips down a bit but then levels off at about 800 ish but if you warm it up it then ticksover at about 1400!! also if you give it some when cold (trying not to do this!) then it will start ticking over at 1400 again!!Look a right twat at the lights etc as it revs its head off! :oops: Any ideas - its had a diagnostic check all ok and the lambda sensor has been changed recently cheers in advance for any help :wink:
Apart from above i am well chuffed with the car and am now starting to explore the handling!! 8)

u33db
27-09-2005, 23:07
Check wiring/plug on the ISCV as if loose they can cause these issues.

wilyolddave
27-09-2005, 23:11
:?Hi what is the ISCV sorry for being thick!! :wink:

u33db
28-09-2005, 09:52
ISCV/ICV = Idle Speed Control Valve.

http://www.coded-solutions.com/car/misc_pics/iscv.jpg

It's the cylinder like thing i've circled...plug on top can cause random rev'ing if loose. Valve itself can cause idling issues if dirty so also try balstiong some carb cleaner through it.

wilyolddave
28-09-2005, 20:29
:D Cheers mate guess wot ill be doing the weekend!!If it doesnt work do i need a new one?any idea how much??
One thing i noticed 2day is if i dont rag it doesnt do it !!also i had it doing it (after ragging it!!)i then switched the car off and back on again and it was fine!? :?
cheers again :wink:

big hp
28-09-2005, 20:40
I had this on my williams and it was the vehicle speed sensor which is a wire bound into the speedo cable. Take the top dash off, clocks out. on speedo cable theres a cable, cut black (earth) and give it its own earth. DONT cut from loom side. Cut from cable side that way its only a cable to replace to make it original.

That'll solve your problem. Did mine. I had EXACTLY same symptoms as you, switch off and it's stop but only do it when you've been giving it some stick.

big hp
28-09-2005, 20:43
Deffo won't be ISCV, I bought one thinking it was the problem and wasn't. Save your money. Above method will take you 20mins tops and leave you more money for beer :lol:

New speedo cable would also cure problem as speed sensor is in with it, but costs £70 and then its a bitch to fit.

wilyolddave
28-09-2005, 20:49
:D Cheers sorry to be a pain but have you got any pics of all this?I have already had the top off when replacing a bulb in the oil pressure dial so that bit im ok with, its the bit about cutting a wire im not so sure about!!any more info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance :wink:

big hp
28-09-2005, 20:53
Havn't got any pics etc sorry. Get the clocks out and it'll all become clear. Theres only 1 wire coming from bound speedo cable, cut the black as its a earth cable and give it its own earth. Theres plenty of earthing spots behind there. Normally the earth breaks down when the cables had a tug, eg if gearbox has been out recently et c.

wilyolddave
28-09-2005, 21:03
:D Cheers im earthing the clock i take it(prob stupid question!) ie i cut the cable, splice into the cable clock side and find an earth?? :wink:

big hp
28-09-2005, 21:54
No your earthing the vehicle speed sensor which is bound in speedo cable. your just cutting the cable before it connects to loom loop. It sounds worse then it is, trust me.

*Just cut the black wire that comes from speedo cable and earth it, job done*

easy as that 8)

James Clio 16v
28-09-2005, 22:42
I have an ISCV problem on mine, where the revs drop and struggle when it is idling when I first start it, it's fine when it's warm. Done the usual cleaning of ISCV and re-earth of speedo cable and it still does it. I'm gonna try a different ISCV in the car to see if that works.

A new ISCV is about £80. Always worth cleaning out the old one, cos they do get covered in crap.

wilyolddave
29-09-2005, 22:45
:D Cheers big hp im going to get home from work 2morrow rip the dash off and take some piccies and then post em on here just to make sure !!!thanks for the help mucho appreciated :wink:

wilyolddave
30-09-2005, 20:13
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/Davyb74/DSCF0133Small.jpg

Hi big hp is it the big black wire coming out of the plastic connecter block on the left if so do i cut it where i can see it ,join it where it comes out of the block to an earth??Or is it that little black wire that seems to got that white disc thats around the speedo cable??Sorry to be a pain in the ass!! :? :wink: cheers mate!!!

big hp
01-10-2005, 01:22
I can't remember to be honest Dave. I'll take top dash off tomorrow and clocks out and have a look / take a pic for you.

wilyolddave
01-10-2005, 12:40
Cheers mate ill look forward to the pics!!!! :wink:

wilyolddave
01-10-2005, 16:17
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/Davyb74/DSCF0138Small.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/Davyb74/DSCF0142Small.jpg

:oops: Now a new prob when taking the clocks out, on the green connecter it looks like a wire has pulled out(the brown one!!) where does it go ??it looks like some sort of repair work has been done on it b4 (bodge by the look of it!) any help would be greatlly appreciated as ive got to get it all back together for going to work monday morning!! :evil:Top pic is hopefully a little clearer for which of the black wires i earth !!(big hp!) :wink:

Rich
02-10-2005, 13:19
that all looks a bit messy does that plug! looks like its been half melted at some point!

wilyolddave
02-10-2005, 15:40
:shock: Yeah looks a right bodge but where does the brown go!!??Im going to put it back together but tape the brown wire up and see wot doesnt work !! I think the green plug has something to do with the outside temp etc, nightmare!!! :cry:

big hp
02-10-2005, 19:19
Sorry Dave i've been out most of the day looking at vans. I'll sort out pic ASAP. Going to Lee Evans at the NEC tomorrow night so it'll be tuesday. Sorry mate.

neilc
02-10-2005, 19:51
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/Davyb74/DSCF0142Small.jpg

I would shoot down the scrappy and cut a plug off of another clio and wire it in better.

wilyolddave
02-10-2005, 21:09
Hi big hp no worries mate ive put it back together pro tem and the only thing that doesnt work is the outside temp display so thats wot the green plug must do !! Neilc good point wot other models have the temp display or do you reckon theyve all got the plug but its not being used?? :?
At least im getting to know my new chariot pretty well!! :wink:
Has anybody got a spare green plug???(long shot i know!)
Do you think the main stealers would sell one?? :evil:

neilc
02-10-2005, 21:54
Not sure but wouldnt hurt to have a look around at a couple just note down you colour wires :)

Rajk
04-10-2005, 01:37
my mate is breaking a valver, im sure he has a decent green thingy/plug, let me know if you want to ask him for it, best thing is to reconnect it with the existing wires, it looks like its truely fecked

wilyolddave
04-10-2005, 18:28
RAJK you have a pm :wink: