PDA

View Full Version : Removing engine

James Clio 16v
25-09-2005, 23:29
Cos of my dead gearbox, I'm gonna take the engine out and replace it. Also gives me the opportunity to give the bay a good clean andclean the rust off the subframe.

Can somebody put into a list what I need to do to remove the engine. I've had a look through Haynes, but that isn't too clear. I just need it in laymans terms.

Cheers

James

danfloun
25-09-2005, 23:41
Woah, I just used common sense. The haynes manual are ok sometimes but often miss major points out and are sometimes wrong.

There is no real important order to work in, just make sure that the engine is supported before disconnecting the engine mounts. You can't go far wrong.

This dam engine is one arsehole to put in, might I suggest (if possible) to drop the engine, sub frame, etc to the floor and hoist the shell over the top of the engine. This way you won't scratch all your engine bay or engine trying to get the bastard back in.

Please correct me on this, but i know I had a right ball ache putting the ol' F7P back in, and with a proper hoist. Our original plan was to lower the sub frame and engine with drive shafts attached to the floor, and then lift the body up to work on the engine. We never got this far cos of height restrictions in our garage lol.

Trust me to listen to someone else.

You dont have to take out the engine, it is possible to remove the gearbox on it's own. This requires some important steps such as lowering the subframe at the gearbox end as to allow the gearbox to turn before you lift it out. That part I think is covered in the haynes manual.

I did this on my own and had to lift that bastard gearbox out without a hoist, I swore blind I wouldn't go that route again. But hey, I'm never prepared for any job so don't listen to me. :P

richy
25-09-2005, 23:46
do u have ABS?

basicly u want the bonnet, front panel both off
remove radiator(drain coolant) and take wiring loom off from a) ecu and b) fuse box plus any other wires like earths etc,
remove battery and air box,drain gearbox and remove driveshafts,
remove manifold at downpipe-manfold join,
remove bottom mount,
remove gear selector rod, unplug throttle cable, speedo cable
u shoudl be ready to remove the engine then, use a engine hoist , if u have abs it will be tight, if not still tight but alot easyier lol!

good luck

James Clio 16v
26-09-2005, 08:20
No ABS fortunately.

I think it will be easier to take the whole engine out and split it when it's out.

Mattie
26-09-2005, 10:16
i have a manual 4 the williams sumwhere and a gear box 1! PM me ur email if u want me 2 email them 2 u!

VIPERONE
26-09-2005, 10:19
i took my valver engine out with out a crane.. just a jack.

i split it whilst it was in the bay.. then jacked the engine up and the rest of car.. lowered engine jack and manhandled it in to my yard

James Clio 16v
26-09-2005, 10:49
I have the Dialogys, but wanted to see if there were any tips etc.

I have a friend with a hoist, so quite lucky there.

lewis_willy2
26-09-2005, 17:02
have fun m8, im doing mine 2mro, jus label all connections to the engine and dont mistake where they go wen you put it back 2 geva!

a voice of experience trust me!

Crowds
26-09-2005, 17:18
i done mine at the week end, an arsehole to fit back in is an understatement lol! i have to go plug in all the sensors tonite then see if this new recon engine and box fires up!

i do not want to do that again!

Crowds.

James Clio 16v
26-09-2005, 17:35
Cheers guys, can't wait! LOL

Lunner
26-09-2005, 17:43
When i did it i just roughtly followed the haynes and used commen sense

Andyvalver
26-09-2005, 19:18
do u have ABS?

basicly u want the bonnet, front panel both off
remove radiator(drain coolant) and take wiring loom off from a) ecu and b) fuse box plus any other wires like earths etc,
remove battery and air box,drain gearbox and remove driveshafts,
remove manifold at downpipe-manfold join,
remove bottom mount,
remove gear selector rod, unplug throttle cable, speedo cable
u shoudl be ready to remove the engine then, use a engine hoist , if u have abs it will be tight, if not still tight but alot easyier lol!

good luck

also remove the ecu and disconnetct the pas

James Clio 16v
26-09-2005, 20:58
How do I disconnect the fuel supply to the engine safely?

Crowds
26-09-2005, 23:30
i wouldnt worry just pull of the pipes, as ignitions off fuel should be shut off. u'll only get a bit leak..

richy
26-09-2005, 23:33
i wouldnt worry just pull of the pipes, as ignitions off fuel should be shut off. u'll only get a bit leak..

as said, the battery will be off so no chance of it priming and sending fuel through, just undo them and pull them off and move out of the way

James Clio 16v
26-09-2005, 23:51
Thanks fellas.

Steep learning curve this as I've never done anything like this before.

Don't want to screw it up, my Mum's convinced I will. It's great to have parents who have faith in you, LOL!!!

VIPERONE
26-09-2005, 23:58
i can remember when i was in your boat! lol. good luck!!!

James Clio 16v
27-09-2005, 00:20
Quite looking forward to it in a strange way. It will be good to know how my car works in a bit more detail.

Plus, if I know how things come apart, it should save me money on future jobs (there is always going to be something), cos I'll have more confidence after having done something like this.

TriO`
27-09-2005, 10:53
ye that's what its all about.. .once you've stripped or even changed your first engine everything becomes a lot clearer.

good luck anyway :D

VIPERONE
27-09-2005, 13:45
the only things that delay and **** jobs up are rusty siezed or rounded bolts

James Clio 16v
27-09-2005, 14:58
Yeah looking foward to them.

Talking of rusty things, I want to spray the exhaust manifold with high temp paint when it's out. Any tips to taking it off, I don't want to break the studs.

VIPERONE
27-09-2005, 20:07
just spray plus gas spray on the nuts the evening before and use a high quality 10mm socket or spanner on them..
snap on teng or halfords pro range are good.. cheap tools and you'll start to bugger things up.

Lunner
27-09-2005, 20:37
just spray plus gas spray on the nuts the evening before and use a high quality 10mm socket or spanner on them..
snap on teng or halfords pro range are good.. cheap tools and you'll start to bugger things up.

Add Draper expert to that list :)

James Clio 16v
27-09-2005, 20:40
Thanks fellas.

I have the Halfords pro socket set, so no worries there.

richy
27-09-2005, 21:04
as gunner says soak all rusty bolts the night before, but try to use a socket with 6 sided fitting not 12 sided as they round off rusty bolts very easy!!! the 6sided wont unless u slip etc

Crowds
27-09-2005, 23:30
yeh got the halfords pro range the other day, 50quid off. good kit aswell.

Crowds

James Clio 16v
27-09-2005, 23:38
I've had mine for a couple of years now, gets used a great deal and all the bits are still in tip-top condition.

2 live
28-09-2005, 10:48
i think the torx sockets are a tad weak on the halfords pro stuff..rest seems ok so far tho for me.