PDA

View Full Version : Are all willy brakes bad?

mozzawily
25-09-2005, 19:09
Hi all, had my willy 2 for a week now and i hate the brakes, they are terrible and not upto the job, the rest of the car is ace but brakes are sh1te.

The previous owner knocked £200 from the price, he said that he tried evereything apart from big brake conversion to sort out them. Currently they are drilled disks, unknown pads, new 5.1 fluid and new slave cylinder and been bled .... the brake pedal is spongy and right at the bottom and just about stops.

Are all williams like this boys n girls?

cheers

dave

edde
25-09-2005, 19:30
The Williams brakes/1.8 16V brakes are the same as the Mk2 phase 2 none RS models like I've got on my dci and there great

I'd recomend bleeding the brakes fully with dot 4. If necessary change the master cylinder. Don't 5.1 isn't suitable for road cars it breaks down and goes off to quickly (ever month or so).

Lunner
25-09-2005, 19:40
Dot 5.1 is shit, absorbs water like anything, and needs bleeding alot.

get rid of the drilled discs and go back to standard, get some mintex or pagis fast road pads, and as edde said stick dot 4 fluid in there.

I've only got an RSi wiht 239mm discs, as opposed to 259mm and they are absloutly awesome

Jamie.
25-09-2005, 20:15
IMO yes!

richy
25-09-2005, 20:26
honestly no lol i use to drive a saxo vtr and when i got the williams the brakes was so much better!!!!!!!!!!! but then u realise there still pants lol now run 4pot brakes!

Mattie
26-09-2005, 10:36
my brakes are pants as well! they do need changin though so that could be the cause!

Swervin_Mervin
26-09-2005, 10:51
As above. Get Dot4 fluid in, solid discs and IMO Ferodo DS2500 pads.

J o n
26-09-2005, 11:37
yeah the brakes re shite. i've just gone back to std disks and kept my Pagid's on... they're 'okay' but the only way your going to have confidence in them is by going 4 pots i'd imagine, it's the calipers mainly being the reason as to why it's shit.

Mattie
26-09-2005, 12:31
sorry 2 highjack the thread but wot do u mean by 4pots? :oops:

J o n
26-09-2005, 12:51
as in 4 piston brakes... std are single piston units iirc and are ham

FlamingMonkey
26-09-2005, 12:54
My brakes are good, you must have shit cars :P

Swervin_Mervin
26-09-2005, 12:55
What FM said^^ :P

NickFr
26-09-2005, 13:24
I haven't got a clue as to what make of discs or pads that are on my Williams, other than they are the standard setup.....oh and that they work very well on the road.

I just wonder how hard you guys drive your cars to be getting your brakes to appear not to work very well :?

Mattie
26-09-2005, 15:03
i tuk a 90 degree bend at 70 once, my brakes just lockd up, so i let of and hit them agen and again lockd up....nearly crashd in2 the curb! :shock: .....

my brakes are warped 2 **** though, i have 2 slam them on 2 get any decent performance outa them, must b y they keep lockin up :?

J o n
26-09-2005, 15:49
Nick, I think to be fair a lot of people on here do use the brakes pretty hard... mainly because a lot of us meet up fairly often and the temptation to go out for a blast becomes too much! hehe

Ill_moves, does your car shudder and wobble all over the shop when coming to a halt? if the disks are warped replace them, mine were terribly bad when they came off, I have them at home and you can feel the uneveness all way round... they are grooved by the way, so solids from now on for me.

mozzawily
26-09-2005, 16:09
Hmmm still not conclusive... i would compare my brakes to a nova sr brakes, thats how poor they are. Honestly they just about stop going slow!

Anybody got info on 4 pots conversions, dont want to waste my moeny on sumthing that might solve the problem!

thanks in advance

Dave

NickFr
26-09-2005, 17:09
Contact Mark at Richspeed :wink: They are supposed to be the Dogs bollox :?: http://www.ritchspeed-imports.com

The entry level (same as mine, but stronger calipers) works out at £360 including delivery. This kit is designed for use with standard 259mm discs and comprises of :

Pair of Wilwood Dynalite forged calipers
Pair of high strength aluminium brackets
Pair of braided hoses (needs longer than standard)
Set of Wilwood Poly E pads (0-900 degrees F)
All fixings needed

The only extras are £10 more for Poly A pads (450-1300 degrees F) and if you want us to supply the discs they are £40.

280mm kit (using 172 discs) is now available at £390 when supplied without discs or another £50 on top again with discs.

If anyone wanted to arrange a group buy then the price would be £340 (delivered) and 3 sets would need to be ordered.

bigjim
26-09-2005, 17:53
would the 280mm kit using 172 discs fit behind the standard willy 15" wheels??

Mattie
26-09-2005, 17:58
Nick, I think to be fair a lot of people on here do use the brakes pretty hard... mainly because a lot of us meet up fairly often and the temptation to go out for a blast becomes too much! hehe

Ill_moves, does your car shudder and wobble all over the shop when coming to a halt? if the disks are warped replace them, mine were terribly bad when they came off, I have them at home and you can feel the uneveness all way round... they are grooved by the way, so solids from now on for me.

yeye my car wobles side 2 side slightly i av 2 fight wiv the steerin wheel....i just though that was the steerin or PAS playin up lol....

i do need 2 change em just ad my gear box dun though and now im skint! :(

Lunner
26-09-2005, 18:27
i tuk a 90 degree bend at 70 once, my brakes just lockd up, so i let of and hit them agen and again lockd up....nearly crashd in2 the curb! :shock: .....

my brakes are warped 2 f*ck though, i have 2 slam them on 2 get any decent performance outa them, must b y they keep lockin up :?

If they are locking up then they are good...LMFAO....no offense, but if you are locking up like that its one of 3 things, shit driver (pressing too hard), sahit tyres, or shit road surface

EvilJohn
26-09-2005, 20:30
would the 280mm kit using 172 discs fit behind the standard willy 15" wheels??

Yes they would cos Mk1 172s have 15s as standard and mk2 172s in certain countries also come with 15s.

Would valver/willy brakes fit over 14s? Just cos Ive got a spare set of steelies and gonna be fitting valver brakes soon to my mk2.
Cheers

Mattie
27-09-2005, 09:33

my brakes are warped 2 f*ck though, i have 2 slam them on 2 get any decent performance outa them, must b y they keep lockin up :?

If they are locking up then they are good...LMFAO....no offense, but if you are locking up like that its one of 3 things, shit driver (pressing too hard), sahit tyres, or shit road surface

dont think its road surface as its happend in a few places.....must be the tires! :wink: ....i have 2 press the pedal in hard for the breaks 2 work though so its either lock up or dont stop in time :?

mozzawily
27-09-2005, 17:20
hmmm very tempting to have 4 pots i must admit..... anybody else interested in getting some?

Lunner
27-09-2005, 18:57

dont think its road surface as its happend in a few places.....must be the tires! :wink: ....i have 2 press the pedal in hard for the breaks 2 work though so its either lock up or dont stop in time :?

TBH sounds more liek your system needs a good flush and bleed

mozzawily
02-10-2005, 12:11
Will 172 disks fit straight on without any mods under 16" alloys and would the std willy callipers be sufficient or is this set up still not gunna set the world on fire?