PDA

View Full Version : What is it about Valvers/Willams....

Mish_16V
24-09-2005, 15:32
However much shite they give you and however much money you throw at them why do you end up always loving them so much?

Had mine since end of feb/March now and it's already had a new gearbox mount, rebuilt gearbox, cambelt/fanbelt, 2 track rod ends to name but a few bits and everytime it pisses me off I "think" about selling it.

Then either I fix it, or it returns from the mechanic, i get in it, go for a good drive and just fall in love with it all over again- argh why is it so hard to stay angry at them!

Incidentally this is also the longest i think i've owned a car, and i've only been driving just over 2 years. No write offs, and all my cars have been nice and modified how i wanted them, but they've always been sold on through boredom and yet the valver always ends up putting a massive smile on my face everytime i look at it/drive it :D

clowo16v
24-09-2005, 18:07
Know exactly what you mean. Every time something major has gone wrong I think "right this time i'll fix it and sell it its pissing me off too much" but as soon as its done and i've taken it out for a drive I dont think i'd ever sell it lol.

See ya

Matt

richy
24-09-2005, 18:37
lol ive been through this so many times! it breaks i get pissed off and wanna sell it , i fix it and love it! had 6month of trouble free motoring now and absolutly love it!!

Dancliovalver
24-09-2005, 18:38
crist wen reading this i thought someone had stolen my mind, know exactly wat u mean, this is my second valer now, first one was OK but this one the clutch went after 2 weeks (£450) balljoints have gone, the brakes are shite at the mo, theres allsorts of squeking comin from the suspension and loadsa other bits and bobs have gone wrong........was thinkin bout sellin it all this week but just took it out tonite to the local chippy and have totally changed my mind......i just love drivin it and every body looks as u go by too!

puts a smile on my face every time :D

mon
25-09-2005, 01:53
:D i no wot you mean had 2 my self my secound is a low miler and just had front shokers/springs done.. but still love it still got a slight nosie near front drivers side but still love it..

ps still taking the piss out of them tdi crappers.. they think they are driveing a cossy :lol:

clowo16v
25-09-2005, 11:08
Its because they've got a presence on the road like no modern hatchbacks have. Most modern sporty hatches (LCRs, CTRs etc) come up behind you and it looks exactly like any other base model hatch. When a 16v/Willy comes up behind you its recogniseable and they look mental. Apart from Evos/Imprezas massive bonnet vents and wide arches just dont happen on production cars any more lol.

See ya

Matt

Justin..
25-09-2005, 11:59
i love my valver, and ive had it 2 weeks. just smiles every time :D

Mish_16V
25-09-2005, 15:06
This is going to make me sound like an idiot lol but i also seem to get alot more respect driving it than with any of my other 'modded' motors...

I had a brand new mini cooper S owner and a lad with an R1 bike come and talk to me about it the other day at a garage as they'd heard me pull up and said it sounded and looked so nice for such an oldish type hatch. I love the reaction they give...

If i had money i'd buy another lmao, glad it's just not me who's besotted by them though! :D

James Clio 16v
25-09-2005, 16:33
Totally agree, the gearbox has just gone on mine again, 2nd time in a month! Don't buy 2nd hand gearboxes btw, and I love it.

I can't wait to get it fixed and back on the road, it's addictive.

James

Andyvalver
25-09-2005, 23:29
Mine always breaks but i still love it. I keep thinking of buyin a new car but cant bring myself to sell it. I love it too much 8) Cant wait for it to break again :P

J o n
26-09-2005, 09:10
I think we are all basically stupid... i've spent 7k on mine since getting it and dont really feel much better for it.

Mattie
26-09-2005, 10:03
haha im exactly the same! iv spent about 1800 in 3 months on my willy n iv only ad it 4 months!.....gear box recently went n i thought thats it im sellin it!...... got it out the garage and then thought "how can i sell it!?"

dont think ill ever end up sellin it! :D

mon
26-09-2005, 17:10
had mine four years and spent £700

Lunner
26-09-2005, 18:51
I brought mine for £1k, spent stupid amounts on insurance, prolly about £3k modding and fixing it, prolly £2k fixing it tbh, still love it to bits

kj16v
27-09-2005, 23:17
My mate and I just changed the water pump. We battled with it for three days cuz the bastard Haynes manual ommitted the bit about removing the PAS pump bracket. But in the end the water pump gave in like the cheese-eating, surrender-monkey it was. Nelson would be proud of me! Ha ha haa, Damn French engineering...

Er anyway back to the topic. I've stopped feeling attachment to individual cars. Maybe it's just me but I find that working on my own cars has that effect. Kinda loses the mystery if you see what I mean.

However I do love the way it looks and drives. It's the first car I've driven which is nearly perfect as standard.

Spent nearly £200 chasing an elusive knocking sound and £50 changing water pump

Martin
28-09-2005, 10:18
There is a reason I'm on my 4th 2.0 Clio 8) :D

Coops
28-09-2005, 20:11
what happened/was wrong with the first three??!!!!!! :shock:

FATBOY
28-09-2005, 20:23
must admit the "i own a williams" novelty has worn off now! but theres no way im ever gonna sell her! shes mine for life now! or until such time as something bad happens! touch wood it wont!

gtbloke
30-09-2005, 08:03
I love my valver, it sounds the dogs, goes like stink and has that proper old school look about it, class old cars they are... mind u i also loved my old citroen axgt 8)

lewis_willy2
01-10-2005, 22:13
ive with all u lot, had 4 clios in all 1.4rt, 1.2rl and 2 valvers 1st was a dog but engines gettin much needed love and attention as we speak (rebuild)
got my 2nd and its perfect love the way it looks,drives and also the respect and looks i get while driving it.
i will always own a valver/hybrid or maybe a williams.

long live the williams/valver/hybrid clio

Rajk
04-10-2005, 01:53
the real test is to let someone else drive it and youre in another car following or leading, they just look so awesome, seriously underrated, every time i see someones elses it just looks so aggresive, the bonnet bulge, the flared arches, chunky wheels, three wheeling corners the lot. mental, long live the 1.8/2.0 clios, the new clios dont look so hard core! apart from the V6 which looks MAD!

matt uk
17-10-2005, 01:07
i know what you all mean

i'm constantly swapping and p/x cars i passed my test 3 years ago and have had over 20 cars in that time! just get bored
these include 4 swift gti's,civic vti and 106 gti.

admitidly i liked the 106 gti alot but had to get rid as it was on finance!

got my 1995 valver and have had it 3 months now and love it!

3 months is a long time for me with a car trust me!

currently in process of making it a williams lookalike, just needing the wheels now that the stickers/dash/interior has been done.

performance wise its well above average and handles great.

you can take them steady and get good mpg and also put your foot down and you've got a little monster!.

funny thing is the car i've just sold was a pulsar GTIR (stupidly fast) and that didnt turn as many heads in the street as the clio does

like you say theres just something about them.....

number1
10-11-2005, 19:29
the real test is to let someone else drive it and youre in another car following or leading, they just look so awesome, seriously underrated, every time i see someones elses it just looks so aggresive, the bonnet bulge, the flared arches, chunky wheels, three wheeling corners the lot. mental, long live the 1.8/2.0 clios, the new clios dont look so hard core! apart from the V6 which looks MAD!

I agree!! seen my mate going the other way in his and even slowly it looked awesome so much fatter than any other clio on the road and his is totally standard

i think of selling my clio everytime it goes wrong but when i fix it and drive it again i fall back in love :wink:

Hulio
11-11-2005, 03:49
Its good to hear other people talk about how much they love these cars.
I bought my valver back in 1996 with 17k on the clock and owner for 10k.
I have modified her a lot since then and it is now a hybrid with williams engine and front track and is the car I always wanted it to be.
These cars are seriously under-rated, especially the 16v and I think part of the reason I had to turn my car into a willy spec example was to find out what all the fuss was about and whilst I really love the car as it is now I do still appreciate just how good the standard 16v was to begin with.
The people in THE KNOW realise how good these cars are and the rest just look astounded when they try to lose us in their nissan skylines and they just cant seem to shake is off.......... :wink:

Craig
11-11-2005, 09:22
same mate!

altho iv just took mine off the road for winter, and to do a few bits and bobs to it, but every morning im in my shitter car, and see folk in their punto gt's, type r's etc and i just wish i was in the clio to kick their arses hehe!

Mish_16V
11-11-2005, 20:38
I had this nob in a rep mobile 2litre 16v mondeo try and give me a go the other day down a slip road...

needless to say he was suitably embarrased without to much fuss on my part... I'ts an added bonus being a girl to-most people just don't expect it :lol:

Andyvalver
11-11-2005, 20:46
Lol, never realised you were a girl :shock: .... :wink:

Craig
11-11-2005, 21:09
oh no............

:lol:

Daz.
11-11-2005, 21:55
same mate!

altho iv just took mine off the road for winter, and to do a few bits and bobs to it, but every morning im in my shitter car, and see folk in their punto gt's, type r's etc and i just wish i was in the clio to kick their arses hehe!

everytime I see anything like this or anyone giving me hassle in the van I prey to the lord to magically swap me into the valver...

There simply for me is nothing to touch it looks wise - its perfect in every way...

I wanted one ever since my uncle bought his willy 1 new whats that 9/10 years ago when I bought the valver, 12 years now?

So 12 years has gone past and theres nothing thats come and gone on these road thats come close for me... obviously excluding the dream stuff... 16v vs Zonda - duh!

Tell you somemthing though if I won the lottery I'd have a perfect example of a willy 1 (hell i'd buy 001!), a mint standard valver, and spend about 100k on mine thrashing every record you can think of lol!

oh and a zonda for the asda trips.. 8)

Andyvalver
12-11-2005, 20:41
I agree^^^ Think if i won the lotto i would keep my valver and turn it into a fast as fook hybrid, no expense spared. Also a mint williams 1 and various other cars like an m3 or somet lol

Daz.
12-11-2005, 23:08
and various other cars like an m3 or somet lol

:? :? :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll: :roll: :? :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :oops: :oops:

MrAtego
13-11-2005, 03:28
edited by mra

Loz
22-11-2005, 20:51
i know exactly how you all feel.

my first car was a clio 1.2, loved it so much i got a 1.4rt,then for some reason i changed cars, got a nova 1.4sr, then a cavalier gsi2000 and then a xr2i 16v, i had the last 3 cars within a year, just didn't like them that much, now i got another clio (naples valver) and love it to death, dont know why i every moved from the clio's.

i dont see me changing my car for a very very long time, and if i do it will be another valver. they seem to have a hold on me..

clio-16-valver
03-01-2006, 16:46
Hi all

Im the same mish.

Since owning mine I have had: head gasket, head skim, cambelt change, 5 fuel pipes, ball joints, brakes, clutch cable, clutch pedal, diagnostic check, exhaust fixed + more

I have had a bad noise coming from my engine for a while (think water pump) or tensioner as garage didnt replace it when they done the cambelt! Low oil pressure, dodgy clutch + also seems slow for a 16v!

Currently! having a low milage engine put in! as I worked it out to be cheaper and better in the long run.

While the new engine is out of the car I have replaced:

Cambelt
Cambelt tensioner + idler
Water pump
Brake fluid
Gearbox oil
Engine oil + filter
Aux belt
Changed engine sensors
Fitted new distributor cap + rotor arm + ht leads to new engine
Put new iscv on
Painted rocker cover red
Painted cam cover red
Painted bottom half of engine bay with underseal
Coolant flush
Oil flush
+ more!

To me its all worth it tho :)

Coops
04-01-2006, 01:27
Hi all

Im the same mish.

Since owning mine I have had: head gasket, head skim, cambelt change, 5 fuel pipes, ball joints, brakes, clutch cable, clutch pedal, diagnostic check, exhaust fixed + more

I have had a bad noise coming from my engine for a while (think water pump) or tensioner as garage didnt replace it when they done the cambelt! Low oil pressure, dodgy clutch + also seems slow for a 16v!

Currently! having a low milage engine put in! as I worked it out to be cheaper and better in the long run.

Cambelt
Water pump
Brake fluid
Gearbox oil
Engine oil + filter
Aux belt
Changed engine sensors
Put new iscv on
Painted rocker cover red
Painted cam cover red
Coolant flush
Oil flush
+ more!

pics pics and more pics please!!! of the new engine that is!!!

Gav
04-01-2006, 01:30
To me its all worth it tho

everything we do on our cars mate we think it is worth it

thats why we spend so much on the fookin things
and fix them insted of sellin them and getting something else

to everyone else us clio owners r mad :D

clio-16-valver
05-01-2006, 00:49
Hi all

Im the same mish.

Cambelt
Water pump
Brake fluid
Gearbox oil
Engine oil + filter
Aux belt
Changed engine sensors
Put new iscv on
Painted rocker cover red
Painted cam cover red
Coolant flush
Oil flush
+ more!

pics pics and more pics please!!! of the new engine that is!!!

Heres a progress topic I started.

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8556

Oh and if you have 56k I dont think clicking the link is a gd idea.

Coops
05-01-2006, 01:26
56k? of what do you speak? i know not that type of internet!! :wink: