PDA

View Full Version : knockin exhaust

Coops
23-09-2005, 18:53
i got one n its drivin me crazy, i cant stop it! think its knockin on hangin bracket at rear 'u' bend, on the heat shield on bend in mid-section and on axle where it goes up n over! woundin n no1 at the garages that fit it n the one i normally go can stop it.

thing is when cars stopped, i wobble exhaust n no significant knockin, cud me engine mounts be fcuked?

advice please before i rip the whole exhaust off on a speed bump just for the hell of it!!:oops:

Coops

danfloun
27-09-2005, 00:46
i got one n its drivin me crazy, i cant stop it! think its knockin on hangin bracket at rear 'u' bend, on the heat shield on bend in mid-section and on axle where it goes up n over! woundin n no1 at the garages that fit it n the one i normally go can stop it.

thing is when cars stopped, i wobble exhaust n no significant knockin, cud me engine mounts be fcuked?

advice please before i rip the whole exhaust off on a speed bump just for the hell of it!!:oops:

Coops

Could be the mount inbetween the cat and front box. On mine I have a Magnex exhaust and it used to rattle at certain revs only and sometimes reverse. Though the Magnex mount is not a standard mount. The magnex uses a standard ford mount, off a cortina I think, and it's a right tight bitch to get on.

That mount doesn't do such a lot but doesn't take much wear before it starts knocking.

VIPERONE
27-09-2005, 01:48
it will be at the back.. there is a hanger near the u bend on passenger side rear. wrap the mount in inner tube/gafer tape.

James Clio 16v
27-09-2005, 10:27
I had this on mine. I bought some of the polyeurathene(sp) exhaust rubber things from Rally Design.

There is a lot less give in these and they hols the exhaust alot tighter. I've had these on the car for 2 years now and have had no problems.

Dancliovalver
27-09-2005, 10:37
i had one so i just go a massive jubilee club and tightned the git round a few bits n bobs, that sorted it :wink:

Coops
27-09-2005, 18:17
so no chance its the engine mounts then?? cheers for recommendations n all, gonna give the mounts from rally design a waz n if still no joy gaffer n jubilee it is!!!

Allan
27-09-2005, 18:33
is your back box a scorpian ?? if so they all do it ;)

Coops
27-09-2005, 19:32
thats whats got me stumped mate, its standard
whole system is, i got rid of me de-cat other week n now all of its factory standard!

Allan
27-09-2005, 19:48
deffo check your hangers then, they are not expensive to replace and very easy to put new ones on

Coops
27-09-2005, 20:03
did it done it n still nothin, but thats standard hangers, n me car is well low so likely to be foulin on suspension cross member?i'll get them uprated ones asap like, hope that cures it

VIPERONE
27-09-2005, 20:12
i tell thee, its the hanger next to the petrol tank back right thats the usual culprit.. wrap a length of inner tube around it and plasti tie it on.,..(tie wrap...)

Coops
27-09-2005, 20:13
theres two hangers there, one low one high, wrap em both?

Rajk
04-10-2005, 01:57
the inner tube will work! make sure you use 2 reno u mounts on the passengerside bend, also you can get some industrial cable ties they dont melt and i have used these on the willy and my bro's 19 16v and they hold the hangers properly.