PDA

View Full Version : snaped 1 of my wheel bolts!

Mattie
23-09-2005, 13:02
just lent my m8s locking wheel nuts last night, was putin the las 1 on the rear drivers side wheel when on the last tightening motion i snaped the head of it clean off :shock:

how long, fast and iradic can i drive on a wheel which has only got 3 secure bolts holding it on?....

and also how hard it is goin 2 b 2 get my wheel off now theres no head on 1 of the bolts? lol

thanks in advance people!

Alphacentaure
23-09-2005, 13:55
I personally wouldn't drive with only three bolts but if you don't hammer it I don't forsee any probs in the immediate future.

As for removing the wheel should not be any probs. The stud will stay in the hub when you take the wheel off. there should be enough of the stud sticking out for you to remove the stud without too much difficulty.

Mattie
23-09-2005, 15:36
stayd below 40 today 30 most the time.....on my way 2 get sum new bolts now :)

Jan
23-09-2005, 15:47
I have managed to do this a couple of times, but luckily it's usually quite easy to remove the thread from the hub... If it's broken off flush with the hub, then you should be able to get at it from behind anyway

Get it sorted asap mate!

Allan
23-09-2005, 15:57
hmm i had 5 of those last week on various clios around here ;)

although 3 of them snapped taking the bolts out! which is nasty as you have to drill them out

Easiest way is turn them out if you can get hold of them just turn and they come out easy, if you cant another easy way is use and easy out or if your cheap, centre punch the bolt and drill it with a small bit, then hammer a screw driver into the hole and turn it out

and if they snap when your undoing them, i took the hub off whacked it on a pillar drill and then used a blow torch to melt out the left overs :) then clean up the treads and replace

richy
23-09-2005, 18:22
i had a bolt snap in mine, tryed to turn it but it wouldnt budge, tryed hammer and chisel it around same just destroyed the end of it! tryed drilling it and easy out and snapped me fcuking easy out!!! tryed drilling bit more after getting broken easy out but its ****ed, not got time to fcuk about with it, just replacing the hub and bearing!!

Mattie
23-09-2005, 18:52
just had a look at it....its not the entire head its just the lockin head part thats attatchd 2 the bolt head :shock: so its still holdin my wheel on :x

any ideas that work that i could try?....havnt got any drill heads that wud b able 2 drill it out....wot can i do?! :?

Crowds
23-09-2005, 22:43
i snapped two on the same front hub, got one out with an Easyout, the second was drilling the pilot hole and the drill snapped. try redrilling through hardend steel lol. imo 3 will be fine, though 4's better

Crowds.

Lunner
24-09-2005, 19:01
Don't fporget its a rear one, so its just a case of buying a new rear disc....but you shoudl always get 2, so two new rear discs