PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid v 5 turbo

JayR
23-09-2005, 09:01
Had 2 clean dos against mates 5 turbo running 20psi and around 200bhp (running full interior though) last night from 20 in 2nd to just over 11* and he pulled approx 5/6 cars which i dont think is to drastic considering mines only got cat back system and ik!!!

Initially on lift off i pulled slightly due to abit of lag on the 5 but then it was bye bye time!!!

He used the old full throttle gear changes to his advantage aswel causing lots of bangsl!!! :lol:

Anyone else had any do's with 5's.............Does this seem like an ok outcome?

northy
23-09-2005, 09:12
never had a real do with any 5's tbh - and we dont run against them down the 1/4mile either.

Craig
23-09-2005, 09:21
200bhp in a R5 is gonna be fast! im sure the fastest reno 5's that run in the 12's only have about 240bhp!

2 live
23-09-2005, 09:30
only ever had a few do's with these lol.....lose out to most of em down the strip, but on the road its a diff story.

had 1 following me round oulton as a cam car, not sure of spec, but think it was pretty modded, altho neither of us were giving it full beans(i had instructer in and hot hot hot brakes hehe, he was a camera car getting footage) but we werent exactly tootlin round, dont think there was much in it tbh

JayR
23-09-2005, 09:41
Craig this one is fast mate, he rekons hes taken cossies before which im not sure hes telling the truth about but thats what he says anyway!!!

He sorta looked down at the clio after but i rightly pointed out his car is a fair bit lighter, has around 50hp more and the ability to do the full throttle gearchanging has to help aswell!!!

2 live
23-09-2005, 09:43
http://media.putfile.com/Oulton_Park_4_web
Click here to watch Oulton_Park_4_web (http://media.putfile.com/Oulton_Park_4_web)

JayR
23-09-2005, 09:49
Il have a butchers at that when i get home mate......For some reason i cant play vids from my work PC!!!

mon
23-09-2005, 22:45
yea top vid.. forgot how good the turbo sounded but my clio handels better..

i just miss that 3rd gear in 5 due to it being phase 1 modded (bleed valve)

still miss that 5 .. but never raced one yet and want to

byers
29-09-2005, 11:52
ive had 4 r5 gts they are mint cars i got rid of my last 5 for my clio williams i miss it so much iv been thinking of selling her :cry: dont miss the money spent on them thoe :shock:

Dancliovalver
29-09-2005, 12:17
ive just had a go with one lol, a black one ive never seen it before but have seen it twice in 2 days, was on the A46, came boomin up behind me on the slip road, got onto the carageway, he just pulled past me but he ran out of steam at 90 and i just breezed past him like he had his handbrake on!!!
very very fast cars, if there wasnt a reliablity issue with em id have one now

JayR
29-09-2005, 13:23
Yep tbh it cant have been a highly modified one tho if you flew past him as the 2 i know of (160bhp fully stripped and 200bhp) go very well upto 120 then the ride starts to get abit scary for them and they will back off!!! :lol:

I had another go with my other mates stripped 160bhp one with his boost turned right off and from the start i pulled like a train on him which he wasnt pleased about.........Turned the boost back up and it was the other way round!!! :shock:

Chris n`nic
29-09-2005, 13:37
Weird that....mine was probably only about 170 (at a guess...several bleedvalve tweaks up from the setup 150bhp!) and tonked my m8 in his 206gti and his was off the clock (130-135 IIRC) Not stripped and std wheels....certainly flew up to that speed as well

Chris

JayR
29-09-2005, 14:18
I would say it mustve been near on standard (or the driver was mothering it) for a valver to be able to pass it easily...................I was playing major chase past 90 on the 200bhp one and even the 160bhp one!!!

Would you say your 5 was as quick as your cup Chris?

Chris n`nic
29-09-2005, 14:51
Not too far off but no...not as quick. The thing I had to get into my head was revving the Cup. At first I thought the 5 was quicker on a little test I did where I join the motorway and floored it in 5th....obviously to get the most out of the cup I was better dropping it a gear or two. I really miss it thou and will defo get another. They are only seen as unreliable because people pump silly boost with little mods (me included! :oops: ) Mine had 223000miles on it when it blew (totally my fault). Fixed it and sold it but it was running better/quicker than ever when it was sold.....

God I loved that car lol

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/chriscup1/101-0130_IMG.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/chriscup1/101-0128_IMG.jpg

Chris

byers
29-09-2005, 15:28
please no more pics chris it makes me want to get rid of my williams somebody out there give me a shake and tell me the clio is better lol :o

GazTwo
29-09-2005, 15:35
Mmmm.....5's.....what a rear end..... 8)

http://www.picturehosting.com/images/GazTwo/fiverear.jpg

http://www.picturehosting.com/images/GazTwo/fivefront.jpg

Craig
29-09-2005, 17:10
they are nice, my mates does the 1/4 mile in 12.8 at the mo! expected low 12's when its finished!

byers
29-09-2005, 17:58
whats the fastest off to say 80 williams or 5gt?

Craig
29-09-2005, 19:30
standard trim, williams id say! 5's are easily tuned up tho!

mon
29-09-2005, 21:50
loved my R5 whould like another (lucky to get a good one) but i do not think i could go back to that BUILD qualety... + the handeling is not as good..

Dancliovalver
29-09-2005, 22:08
I would say it mustve been near on standard (or the driver was mothering it) for a valver to be able to pass it easily...................I was playing major chase past 90 on the 200bhp one and even the 160bhp one!!!

u may be right but my valver isnt standard, alot of headwork done, ive had a neutral drive my valver and ma best mates 5, he stated that the 5 accelerated harder than mine upto bout 80mph but mine keeps goin after that and he's running 16psi, i dont really know much about turbos but i know thats quite abit of boost!!!!

but 5's definatly have the acceleration to do alot of damage to some bigger cars, i really want one as a project but cant find one cheap enuf

JayR
29-09-2005, 22:45
whats the fastest off to say 80 williams or 5gt?

I can answer that............Just tonight had 2 standings with another one of the 5 gang (he rekons its standard apart from bigger t3 turbo but supposedly a quick starter) the first run was cack, start was shit and missed 3rd but after that he didnt pull!!!

The second was as immaculate as it couldve been on my part imo, span a fair bit but so did he got power down and wham by 60 i was a fair bit infront, same through 3rd,by the time we hit 100ish we were level!!!

So upto a 100 there fairly even steven id say but dont know how much the bigger turbo would help a 5!?

JayR
29-09-2005, 22:50

u may be right but my valver isnt standard, alot of headwork done, ive had a neutral drive my valver and ma best mates 5, he stated that the 5 accelerated harder than mine upto bout 80mph but mine keeps goin after that and he's running 16psi, i dont really know much about turbos but i know thats quite abit of boost!!!!

but 5's definatly have the acceleration to do alot of damage to some bigger cars, i really want one as a project but cant find one cheap enuf

my pal with the 200bhp 5's got a gunmetal one hes restored back to standard form............Dont think its the mintest externally but mechanically should be sound as!!!

Dont think hes askin too much for it either.............Was tryna flog it to me but tbh i cant be assed with the fact the break so much!!!

Dancliovalver
29-09-2005, 23:02
that sounds kool mate get me some more details and a few pics if u can!!!

was thinkin bout turboin the valver but dont know wether it would be better in the long run to have a 5 instead and spend my money on that!!!

JayR
29-09-2005, 23:10
Yer ok mate no worries probs wont be til sunday now but il PM you with pics and more details.

Depends how mint the exterior on your valver is mate but if it were me looking for turbo power id probably find a mint 5 donor engine and chuck that in that way you get to keep the looks aswell!!! :lol:

The valver 1.8 turbo conv is far too much money for what it is imo.

byers
30-09-2005, 10:47
check out the white 5 gt thats the 1 i sold to get my williams 2. . the grey 1 i sold on ebay 5 month ago il tell u a little tail about that those 17s you see on the picture. they were sold to me and fitted by a garage anywaz i drove around for a bit and decided to got to middlesborough, i belted it down the slip road got just near the end and the left hand wheel came completely off and went passes me a braked hard and used the handbrake and scraped to the end in the of the slip road :cry: the wheel landed in a hedge i shit myself got the wheel out the hedge and the ron perry bloke who i rang to get me home said the bolts were to short as i had a spacer on.. i rang the garage and told them they said they were the rght bolts i couldnt prove nowt as i did not keep the fooking reciept t**t. good job i wasnt on the motor way :roll: check the pics aint updated it yet with the williams

http://www.rtoc.org/members/member.asp?memberid=11686

JayR
30-09-2005, 13:19
Gotta say if i had one it would need to be tungy one!!!

Whites a pretty good choice though but they seem to be common as!!!

byers
30-09-2005, 16:29
ther is not a gt turbo at all in our town they are getting like gold dust :cry:

JayR
30-09-2005, 19:51
^^^Thats because half of them that are still running are no doubt here in Essex mate!!! :lol:

Having said that though were pretty much valver/willyless here..........All you Northerners seem to have them!!!

Dancliovalver
30-09-2005, 19:57
would it be worth selling a tidy valver for a tidy 5???

JayR
30-09-2005, 20:16
Depends on your situation mate............tbh at the moment i wouldnt because sometimes i need my car for long journeys.

5's break ALOT easier and more often than our cars fact, specially the ones that are running loads of power!

Should be getting a company car soon so im thinking of getting a mint frst when i do so i can put it in the garage and use it for personal pleasure and wont be relying on it soley!

5's are great for straight lines and will embaress lots of bigger power cars......Even the ones that arnt running all that much extra power seem to be good!

Dancliovalver
30-09-2005, 20:26
well i hardily ever use mine and i live half a mile from work so can walk and the girlfriend drives long distances when we need to go any where coz here cars alot more petrol friendly lol
but would love a 5, if i had a garage it would have bought one by now and spend some time on it, but i dont have that luxury :(

Slithers
30-09-2005, 21:06
Cant stick reno 5's, fukkin hate them.

byers
03-10-2005, 09:40
i have had loads of reno 5s i only had chew when i turned the boost up, tbh i dont see the point so the last 5 i had i just left it and it was fine, since iv had my williams nobody really looks at it tbh, either they dont no what it is like pple in saxos who try to race me then get smoked, but when the 5 was on the road every 1 looked and ive had pple asking if im selling it and comment on it. id get another well im saving now my girl doesnt no thoe he he :twisted:

JayR
03-10-2005, 10:53
Im possibly gonna buy one when i get my company car if i can find a mint one bodywork and engine wise.............Hopefully running abit of extra power aswell!!!

Went out in one last night and there bloody fun round roundabouts and sound awsome when foots to the floor!!!

Andyvalver
03-10-2005, 17:22
5 turbos are mint. My mate had a standard one and it was a little quicker off the mark than the valver but once i got into 3rd gear it stayed the same, and 4th i reeled him in slowly. One of my other mates had a 160bhp one and it whooped my ass. They are so tunable for what they are. My mates currently rebuilding his 5 turbo engine and hoping for 190bhp. :twisted:

JayR
04-10-2005, 07:44
^^^Thats funny, my pal has 160bhp stripped one running 16 or 17 psi and standing to 100's the only way i have a chance, he will crawl past at about 80 but im at worst on his bumper still.

From rollings totally different, make it 10 to 100 and he will pull like a train on us.

byers
04-10-2005, 13:26
i think alot of pple would have one but the reliable issue puts them off, i had alsorts go wrong with all my reno 5s what i had , the williams ive had a new clutch ,and i can safely thrash it to bits and switch it off and not panic n worry about it being broke when i start it again.. i have to say the reno 5 every 1 looked at it all the time, i dont think or class my williams as a head turner imo and its just had a full respray and looks mint at the moment :roll:

Dancliovalver
04-10-2005, 14:50
lol dont think i will be getting a 5 anymore, a mates just persuaded me, have just got a call to tow him back from leicester,

by the looks of things he sed there musthave been too much pressure in the crank case and it blew the dipstick out and loads of oil and set his car on fire :(

has burnt the vacuum hoses, melted loads of wires, damaged the silicon hoses, and has done alot more damage, cant remember wat he sed after that lol

neilc
06-10-2005, 10:19
5 turbos are mint. My mate had a standard one and it was a little quicker off the mark than the valver but once i got into 3rd gear it stayed the same, and 4th i reeled him in slowly. One of my other mates had a 160bhp one and it whooped my ass. They are so tunable for what they are. My mates currently rebuilding his 5 turbo engine and hoping for 190bhp. :twisted:

I raced one local to me that I kept geting told it was quick, not sure on power and spec but I just managed to keep pace.

Even on the handling side of things we were neck and neck.

JayR
06-10-2005, 11:32
What have you got neil?

Valver or Williams?

neilc
06-10-2005, 11:44
Valver basic mods, induction kit, SS exhaust with de-cat

last RR it made 144bhp.