PDA

View Full Version : De-cat?

measor
22-09-2005, 16:28
Is this job as easy as takin the cat off and boltin the pipe on?? is there no welding involved?
Has decating ur car made any difference to the way it drives?

Dancliovalver
22-09-2005, 16:35
yep u could say as easy as that, just gotta get the bolts off lol!!!
yeah it made quite abit of difference in mine, alot more grunt and u dont have to use as many revs to set off ect

Lunner
22-09-2005, 19:25
Makes a massive difference, frees the car up alot in higher revs.

Will be starting to produce them again in a few weeks time, £35 delivered

mon
22-09-2005, 23:03
lunner is this you selling them? also i have a ss exeust do not no wot type are all interchangeable? ie holes line up no matter wot exeust you have?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/renault-clio-1-8i-rsi-16v-williams-de-cat-pipe-free-pp_W0QQitemZ4577084487QQcategoryZ10410QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

measor
23-09-2005, 12:30
wel i have a powerflow exhaust from the cat back so will any pipe that is designed 4 the car fit even though its a different exhaust,
ktec sell a silenced stainless steel pipe for £40, or does it not really matter what pipe it is, jus get the cheapest???

Dancliovalver
23-09-2005, 13:39
nope shouldnt matter mate wat ever exhaust, and yeah cheapest one will be good, i know someone selling one if ur desperate for one and lunner makes em too

measor
23-09-2005, 17:34
cheers,
il have a look at this 1 on ebay, but not sure if id prefer a silenced one cos my exhaust sounds perfect at the moment and dont know how much it will change?!

mon
23-09-2005, 22:51
if you de-cat the car do you get more from it than superchipping it?

and people wot is the third gear like after this is there more pull to it..

the third allways fells flat in standard clio16v

my last one was same

mon
05-10-2005, 21:57
putting a decat on does the car go loader or is it better getting the silenced one?

Plattsy
09-10-2005, 04:20
ktecs silenced decat is over £40 the cheaper unsilenced is £39 +VAT, works out at £52 inc delivery and its more for the silenced one.
If you get a silenced decat it will still make it louder. the Cat is one very big silencer! it will pop and bang and spit flames when you change gear or let off at high revs with a decat though :lol:

mon
09-10-2005, 04:26
thanks for that your the only one has give me proper in info ... but does it give more power

Plattsy
09-10-2005, 16:08
yes you will notice a big increase in grunt over the mid range, im trying to get hold of one as my old decat pipe got snapped :? but from about 3.5k revs youl notice it pulling alot more! a must have surely the poppin and flames will please you :D

Coops
09-10-2005, 18:05
can i confirm again what the legality of the de-cat is? i took mine off after my guy at the garage i trust n always use told me it wasnt a good idea have one but ihe didnt mention the actual legality of it n i sure as hell want it back on, makes enuf difference to want it back!!!

Coops

Justin..
09-10-2005, 19:36
without it it will fail an emmisions test, so its basically an mot failure. and we all know no mot is illegal dont we lad(ies)

Andyvalver
10-10-2005, 10:05
The de-cat on mine makes the midrange feel slightly better. Its not a huger difference but it just pulls better at higher speeds lik 70mph onwards. Also, i got a tyre and exhaust place to fit mine and it cost about £10, took bout 10 mins lol plus you get it sealed up properly.

Coops
10-10-2005, 11:20
i know its an mot fail but i was wonderin what happens if u get stopped by the police or summit for a spot check, likely to get fcuked for havin one on??

Coops

Andyvalver
10-10-2005, 11:56
Yeah they will do you, but only if they do an emissions test. No car actually has to have a cat if it can produce safe emission. doubt a clio would pass though lol. They very rarely do these tests tbh

David
10-10-2005, 14:23
Mate i wouldn't be bothered about the police having sumit to say about it even if they look under the car they would have to have a basic knowledge about all car exchaust systems and what they look like to tell the difference !!

Just think the % amount of modded cars form Subaru's to Evo's to Clio's etc that have them

One of the first mods on turbo cars is to get full exchaust system decat and downpipe there for removing both cats oooppppssss!!! making a massive differnece for a little amount of money!

Just means on MOT day that you will have to spend 10-15mins puting cat back on !!!
Personal i think it is worth it!! :wink:

Plattsy
10-10-2005, 16:57
give it a gud run when u put cat back on tho so ecu can get used to it again, daft i kno.
if they pull u n say y u got it just say car came with it on

Coops
10-10-2005, 19:56
good point, fcuk it am avin it back on, am gonna get a pipercross n fabricate some kind of proper cold air feed n heat shield for it n all soon, i want my baby breathin properly, bit asthmatic at the mo!! :(

Plattsy
11-10-2005, 06:30
there is a place local to me that fabricate custom alloy piping which can be used to relocate your air filter and look very smart, my mate had one done on his primera gt and had it located in the wheel arch behing the plastics!
Im getting one done sometime this week if i get time so i could post pics on and sell copies on for them. Mine is for the 16v/Williams though.
Interested? You can have it where you want then dont need a heat shield!

northy
11-10-2005, 08:45
straight through decat all the way - no point in a silenced one.

Coops
11-10-2005, 12:10
plattsy mate, i got a valver! no worries, post us the pics when you get it n price one up for me n i'll see what i reckon! i seen something similar doen before but i'll have a gander like!let me know how it feels with that on on all, more responsive etc!:lol:

Coops

Andyvalver
11-10-2005, 13:37
straight through decat all the way - no point in a silenced one.

There not that loud are they :? Mines a straght through and its not really loud like people are making out. Although my ik makes so much noise i cant really hear the zorst lol

David
11-10-2005, 14:21
ik K&N loose / no gain in bhp but sound awesome !! had one on williams for a while and vulver but decided to take of as just the thought of lossing bhp changed my mind!!

Coops
11-10-2005, 16:55
david, what do yuo mean in that first part of your post? ik?ya what?!!!

Coops

northy
11-10-2005, 16:57
i k = induction kit

Andyvalver
11-10-2005, 17:21
Yeah, i know you lose power through havin an ik but i think on a cool night it works well. Ive got a semi decent air feed to it. In summer though its a bit :? shit lol

Plattsy
11-10-2005, 18:25
IK or airfilters only loose power through heatsoak, this is because the manufacturer of the IK didnt locate the filter far enough away from the engine. thus the heat from the engine soaks into the filter making the throttle lumpy and poor. To gain power from an induction kit then you will have to put a cold air feed to it and get a heat shield around it. for further performance and smoother throttle, relocate the filter somewhere that gets a good supply of cold air, I.E remove the foglight and have the filter there or close to.

In RE. to the decat then they do make it louder, silenced or unsilenced, it wont be as loud if you have a quiet back box or still have slencers in your pipework. And loud is down to someones opinion, i,.e my exhaust isnt loud but to someone else it is

Lunner
11-10-2005, 19:08
Those on ebay that were linked to are ABSOLOUTE SHIT

Was havign a cnversation with jtrenaultuk at anglesey about them and he brought 2 and they didn't fit properly,and they are skiney and shit.

Will be producing them again, hopefully ina weeks time, waiting on a couple of compnaies to get back to me ona price for laser cutting a load of flanges out, and then its all systems go