PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - Gearbox/clutch problem

James Clio 16v
21-09-2005, 23:04
Need your help please.

I've just had the gearbox replaced on my 16v, as the old one wouldn't go into third, jumps out of fifth, was making whining noises at low speed, increasing to grinding noises as the revs rose.

Just picked up the car today and it was fine for a while, then exactly the same thing is happening.

I can't believe that 2 separate gearboxes would have exactly the same problems, so I think that there may be a problem with the clutch.

The clutch itself is brand new, but the cable is a couple of years old and as far as I know the pedal has never been replaced.

It feels like the clutch is not fully engaging the gears, does it sound like the self-adjuster on the pedal has died and the cable is too slack or could it be something more serious.

Thanks in advance.

James

VIPERONE
21-09-2005, 23:09
just replace the clutch and see..may as well change cable..

James Clio 16v
21-09-2005, 23:14
Clutch was changed when the gearbox was done.

Do you think that the cable would cause these symptoms if it has stretched?

Cheers

James

TriO`
21-09-2005, 23:28
ye probably is the cluth cable then, unless they didnt bother fitting the new Gbox and cluth :shock:

i would have thought that if problem was due to a slackened or streched cable it would be constant.. I mean, not just in 5th and 3rd. but its definitely worth changing it

James Clio 16v
21-09-2005, 23:38
The noise is constant, so I think I will change the cable and the pedal as well, Paul Mitchell said that there was some play in it.

The gearbox is second hand, it was new 2 years ago. I don't think it is the gearbox, as I can't believe that 2 separate gearboxes would have the same problems.

It could be that I had a gearbox replaced when I didn't need to!

Any idea how much a new cable is? Couldn't find it on the dialogys. The clutch pedal was on there, about £18.

Cheers

TriO`
21-09-2005, 23:41
sorry, i meant consistant :)

James Clio 16v
22-09-2005, 00:02
Gonna change them on the weekend, hope it works, can't really afford a new gearbox.

James Clio 16v
25-09-2005, 15:16
Well, I fitted the near clutch cable and pedal, that pedal is a pain in the arse, and I'm still getting the grinding noises from the gearbox.

I think I'm going to have to get a new gearbox, but is there anything else that it could be, that I haven't thought of?

Cheers

James

Mattie
26-09-2005, 10:38
is the sound definatly cumin from the gear box?.....it cd b ur wheel bearings if ur not sure?!?!?!?

James Clio 16v
26-09-2005, 10:46
No definately the gearbox.

Checked the oil last night, the level was fine, but lots of metal in the oil.

So time for a new one.