PDA

View Full Version : 185 tyres

Purple
03-03-2005, 03:30
Time to change out of my 195s soon (Goodyear F1). With all the raucous between 185s and 195s, I have decided to give the 185s a try. Other than Michellins (as KS has mentioned them often enough), what other 185/55 would you recommend?

Requirements: Rain grip, neutral/oversteer handling, dry grip. Not too concerned about comfort and noise level (nice too have but not too important).

TIA.

northy
03-03-2005, 09:08
Michelin Exalto 2's.

You would be mad to fit anything else.

NickFr
03-03-2005, 10:17
I maybe wrong here but bear with me. The first tyre I tried to buy was the Mich Pilot Sport, a tyre that I have had in other sizes, however it is not available in 15 inch. When logging into the Mich site and on entering details of car it recommends Mich Exalto 2's, but it also quite clearly shows that its grip levels are nowhere near as good as the Pilot Sports. In summary I would conclude that due to this rather sad omission in their size range, you are forced to use an inferior tyre, albeit a tyre with longer life. I have always valued ultimate grip in both dry but especially the wet as paramount. The fact that Reno spec the Mich Exalto on both the Willy and I believe the 172/182 Clio is I believe a smokescreen. I have owned several BMW's ( no sarky comments ) from new. The last being 330ci, it came with continental's, surprise surprise ( German tyres ), is anyone going to tell me they are any good!! ( they did last along time though ).The tie up with tyre manufacturers and car companys is political and economic. As stated earlier posts the traffic police use Goodyear F1's, and Bridgestone have come 1st or 2nd to the F1's in many recent tests, wheres the Mich....the debate continues :wink:

Purple
03-03-2005, 10:57
Sadly, the Exaltos are not brought over here yet (I am told by the distributor), so I have to scratch that out.

The main problem I have here with getting high perf tyres for the Clio is that 15 inch sizes are slowly being relegated into the ranks of run-of-the mill tyre models. Need to get those 17, 18 inch bling wheels to fit on ultra high perf tyres nowadays.

AFAIK, be it 185s or 195s, there are only a few remaining high perf tyres in 15 inch sizes: Goodrich Gsport, GoodyearF1, YokoES100 and I think 1 or 2 of the Bridgestones. Was hoping a few more suggestion from you guys.

Hope I don't have to rim up to 16s in a few year time so as to fit decent perf tyres. :cry:

Swervin_Mervin
03-03-2005, 11:23
Can you get F1 GSD2s. They're probably what I'd go for in that size if I didn't try the Michelins.

GazTwo
03-03-2005, 11:39
WO WO WO Nick, no good posting that 12 hours after I've just shelled out £230 quid on 4 PE2's....lol.... :lol:

Purple
03-03-2005, 11:42
Can you get F1 GSD2s. They're probably what I'd go for in that size if I didn't try the Michelins.

Yeah, I have had 5 sets of those and love them to death, but kinda want to check out what else is out there first before going back to F1s.

Hmm.. I am starting to think we only use Exaltos or Gdyr F1s on this forum. Are we that predictable? Someone must have something else.

Swervin_Mervin
03-03-2005, 11:43
They're the best 2 though mate!

F1s have drawn in tyre test before with Pirelli P Zero Rossos, but you'd need a 2nd mortgage for them!

northy
03-03-2005, 11:45
Purple - if you want me to ship some exaltos over to you i can through work....no idea how much it will be though.

Ive been out in a 182 with exalto 2's on and it was better handling than the williams...

The exalto 2's are a upgrade aspart of the 'options pack'

The 172's, 172 cups & 182's are fitted with continental tyres.

Purple
03-03-2005, 11:54
Purple - if you want me to ship some exaltos over to you i can through work....no idea how much it will be though.

Thanks for offering, Northy. Not an option I would consider now. But I may just do that, couple of years from now - if I am desperate enough to avoid the dreaded rim up (heh, chrome with spinners, of course).

Purple
03-03-2005, 12:10
F1s have drawn in tyre test before with Pirelli P Zero Rossos, but you'd need a 2nd mortgage for them!

Yes, I have had the good fortunate to use the PZero Asymmetricos before they stop making them in our size. Man! They were unbelieveable in the dry. Felt like slicks on public road, like someone coated the tyres with strong adhesive compound. And yet they lasted 14 months (eh.. that's quite a long time for me to be on 1 set of tyres). And, I reckon, they would run close to the F1s in the wet (probably 80% to 90%). A "once in a lifetime" set of tyres. Sigh, wish I could still get them.

KingStromba
03-03-2005, 12:27

Ive been out in a 182 with exalto 2's on and it was better handling than the williams...

The exalto 2's are a upgrade aspart of the 'options pack'

The 172's, 172 cups & 182's are fitted with continental tyres.

182's come with PE2's standard dont they? Originally it was the stiffer sidewall tyres that were the upgrade, but now all the PE2's are stiffer sidewalled.

And Northy, what do you mean by better handling? You mean it had more grip? Handling and grip are different. Grip refers to the level of adhesion to the road surface. Handling refers to the repsonsiveness / predictability / drivability / ease / consistency / cornering stabilty etc of the car. Grip is one component of handling. Not having a go mate just clarifying before people assume the 182 is a better car. I do beleive the 182 has more grip. I dont beleive it handles better. From what people have said, and my own drivinbg test it seems to suffer the same rear end twitchiness as the 172.

JUST MY OPINION.

NickFr
03-03-2005, 13:11
They're the best 2 though mate!

I had Pirelli P zero Rossos on the BMW 255/35/18 unbelievable tyre BUT!!!! 6000 miles and they were ****ed, the best pound for pound, hate to say it F1's

J o n
03-03-2005, 13:20
I had P Zero Rossos on my Zetec and my XR2, they lasted 6000 for the front as well, never had to replace the backs. Lasted 9k on the Zetec S and the Willy had Yoko's on it when I got it. These PE2 are the best tyres I have owned, I'm saying this as the Rossos would lose traction in a 45 carb'd XR2 at the top of 1st and it's not as quick as a Williams, which loses nothing when planting it in 1st unless it's greasy.

Purple
03-03-2005, 14:12
Just realised that Pirelli is calling a lot of their tyres Pzeros now. The Rosso Asymmetrico & Directionale. The Pzero Nero M&S. Really confusing.

The one I had was the Asymmetrico from the old Pzero System. Sadly, none of the new models come in 15 inches. And probably a good thing for me as I will go broke buying them at the frequency I change tyres.