PDA

View Full Version : Home wireless networking problems.

edde
20-09-2005, 22:27
I've got a problem I'm trying to sort out how to fix my BT Voyager 210 ADSL modem to work I somehow managed to make my brother laptop and mine work but his laptop doesn't see the network but the full internet works fine just start ie and off it goes.

However I've got to fix my parents laptop up to work and for the life of me I just don't know how to do it. The laptop doens't see any wireless network and I'm completly stuck as to what to do its a aries PC with an inbuilt wireless modem.

Any help please I'm going mad and going to get nagged at even more by tomorrow if i don't sort this out.

stan
20-09-2005, 23:09
this might sound obvious/stupid...but is there a slide switch on the side of it? mine has one...its a Toshiba. for the first week i couldnt get it to work (wireless), then i read the manual, and found there was a switch on the side that needs to be "on" in order to connect via wireless :oops: :oops:

katbloke
21-09-2005, 00:02
im guessing the wireless is set to on coz he said he could access internet, maybe a network identification issue try running the network set up wizard on all machines or wireless network wizard which ever you have.

All pcs on same network must have same network name by defauls this is set as mshome or something.

Purple
21-09-2005, 04:04
Some other suggestions:-

1) The ADSL wireless AP router/modem is most likely set to DHCP host. This means that most wireless client PCs should connect to IP/internet services automatically - if they are set as default DHCP client. Your parent's PC could be set to static IP. You will need to set the PC client to dhcp (dynamic).

2) Too many wireless devices in the vicinity (usually more than 10 within 50m proximity) preventing the PC from finding your wireless AP.

3) Your parent's PC could be defaulting to the physical ethernet port rather than the wireless connection. Might have to disable the physical ethernet port.

4) You may already be connected to IP services to the internet but the internet proxy was set on or wrongly. Probably should be off for home broadband environment.

5) You may already be connected to IP services to the internet but the DNS server was set wrongly. For most home environment this should be automatic (DHCP) but if you know you own home gateway address, you can also set that (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 - does any one look famailiar?)

Finally, if all else fails, copy the exact same network settings from one of the working PCs over to your parent's PC. Good luck, wifi troubleshooting can be a pain sometimes.

edde
22-09-2005, 23:40
Hum ok I'm still fiddling with it.
Stan - there nothing to obvious or stupid especially not with me. I cannot find any switch but I did get the net to work once and I ccannot find any swicth for the networking.
This networking bt thingie (link below) doesn't seem to need to have a proper network setup I'v reinstalled the who netwrk and someone mnaged to get it to work on my PC but now the laptop which used to work sees the netwrok but cannot go on the net (if the PC upstairs is on it complains about shared IP addresses) but with the PC off it still doesn't go on the net although accoriding to the laptop it is connected to the network. The other laptop only occasionally work I'm messing round with it so much I'm not sure why. When it does say the network exists it won';t connect just keeps saying connecting.
There shouldn't be any other networking devices locally I've got all 3 pcs in the room. The cable netwrking had been disabled in device manager.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2005/q1/voyager2100.asp

Please somone any more advice I'm going mad.

Purple
23-09-2005, 02:02
Can you drop to DOS commandline and do a "ipconfig /all" and post the results of the machines that work and don't work?

I'v reinstalled the who netwrk and someone mnaged to get it to work on my PC Can you still get a hold of the fella to help to out? And what do you mean by re-install network? Do you mean re-install the drivers on the laptop or setup up the network parameters on the laptop or something else?

but now the laptop which used to work sees the netwrok but cannot go on the net (if the PC upstairs is on it complains about shared IP addresses)This indicates that the wireless layer of laptop is working properly with the BT wifi router and the wifi security settings are turned off. But you laptop IP address is the same as you PC. A big no-no.

but with the PC off it still doesn't go on the net although accoriding to the laptop it is connected to the network.This leads me to suspect that the laptop is on static IP settings with a fixed (and incorrect) gateway address. So, even though you wireless connection is seems OK, the IP settings is totally incompatible with you home network. If this is the case, you need to set the laptop as DHCP client (and no proxy) - reboot and try the network. Was this laptop previously set up to work somewhere else? If it was, changing to DHCP client might mess it up for the other location.

The other laptop only occasionally work I'm messing round with it so much I'm not sure why. When it does say the network exists it won';t connect just keeps saying connecting.This is an indication that the wireless connection is having problem. Not so much an IP problem.

After saying all that, am only 50% confident that my advice may work. IMHO, wifi problems really need a knowledgaeble guy on-site to troubleshoot. Especially, if it's messed up (and yours do looks somewhat messed up). If you know anyone local, spend a few beers and try to get him ove to take a look.