PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help - wiring/earthing problem.

Purple
20-09-2005, 12:07
It's the fairly common problem of difficult starting (turns but don't catch) and/or radiator fan only come on when I stop the engine. In most cases that I have read in these forum, it was found to be wiring/earthing issues.

The symptoms started showing up only after I went in for an oil change. Was perfectly fine before then. The oil change guy thinks the filter-removal tool may have messed up the wirings close to the oil filter area.

For those who have succesfully remedied this problem, I need your advice on this and some details on how you solved your problem.

I will be meeting with my mechanics tomorrow morning and hope to be armed with the collective knowledge of this forum and tell them what to do. Thank in advance.

PS: The car's been in for a few days and my chaps, after some checking, think it's an ECU problem - which I tell them it's not.

northy
21-09-2005, 14:17
if you resolve the problem mate, do a quick guide and i will sticky it.

Purple
21-09-2005, 14:39
Nope. It's gotten worse, actually.

They replaced the fan relay, thinking that it might fixed the fan problem. But now the car won't start - cranks but won't catch. The electrical guy was saying that the fuel pump relay and the ignition lock relay is not being activated by the ECU. He has checked the TDC and most of the wiring. Am still telling them that it's an earthing/wiring issue, and not an ECU problem.

Thinking of buying (or borrow) a used ECU, to prove to the guys that it is not the ECU causing the problem. Anybody have one lying around? Matbrown?

northy
21-09-2005, 14:40
is the alarm still functioning correctly ????

Purple
21-09-2005, 14:41
My car has no alarm.

J3ned suggested these thing on another thread about starting problem, will pass it on to the mechs.
"STARTER MOTOR - put it in 1st with ign off & roll it to & forth to free it off
PLIP KEY - will need programming on an XR25 computer
BAD EARTH - check all connections to starter / chassis earths etc
TIMING OUT - says it all.... possibly done a valve in ?? get it checked
TDC SENSOR - faulty / aligned in the correct position
PLIP RECIEVER - in the sunroof - is it faulty - is it accepting the frequency transmission from your plip and knocking your immobiliser off
FUELLING - is there fuel there
PLUGS - have you checked theres a spark
COIL - is it sparking the plugs"

northy
21-09-2005, 15:01
My car has no alarm.

J3ned suggested these thing on another thread about starting problem, will pass it on to the mechs.
"STARTER MOTOR - put it in 1st with ign off & roll it to & forth to free it off
PLIP KEY - will need programming on an XR25 computer
BAD EARTH - check all connections to starter / chassis earths etc
TIMING OUT - says it all.... possibly done a valve in ?? get it checked
TDC SENSOR - faulty / aligned in the correct position
PLIP RECIEVER - in the sunroof - is it faulty - is it accepting the frequency transmission from your plip and knocking your immobiliser off
FUELLING - is there fuel there
PLUGS - have you checked theres a spark
COIL - is it sparking the plugs"

if you have no alarm then these two wont matter mate.

check the gearbox to chassis earth (behind the passenger wheel) as mine was corroded when i bought the 3.