PDA

View Full Version : sloppy handling??

derv
18-09-2005, 11:29
right, had a wee blast down the lanes of shropshire the other day, and the car seemed all over the place, had new tyres all round plus tracking is pretty much bang on, so not that, hammering into bends seemed ok, but overtaking people seemed hard to keep it in a straight line! just looking for suggestions of what think i can get checked or might need changing?

NickFr
18-09-2005, 11:41
What are the make and size/profile of your tyres....sounds like it's maybe tramlining?

Purple
18-09-2005, 11:41
Are the tyres bed in yet? Takes a day or 2 sometimes. Check tyres pressures are even left and right side.

OTOH, is the steering joint loose?

derv
18-09-2005, 12:01
oops i fogot to add in, it was the same with the old tyres, they needed changing anways but its still the same with the new tyres which have done about 250 miles now. u may be right about the sterring joint, as it seems to have 'play' in it, is this gonna be a big job?

Purple
18-09-2005, 12:18
I replaced mine some years ago, when it went slack.

But some people here recommend welding the joint. Do a search on the tech forum - it's a fairly common issue.

Zollo
18-09-2005, 12:52
My column needs sorting too. I'll be getting it welded up (hopefully by Bullcrusher please, if you're reading this!) and some point.

Could get them done at the same time if you (and Bullchrusher) are up for it? He's based in East London.

Lunner
18-09-2005, 13:23
Stearing column was around £40 from infinicar, myself and saner fitted one in a few hours, bastard cunting plate to get too.

Can be welded up wiht the coumn in teh car, only needs a couple of dabs of weld, could well be the cheaper option, need to get mine done at some point, and get my seat runners welded in too

Justin..
18-09-2005, 21:54
hmm i think i have that problem, a bit of play in the steering

Lunner
18-09-2005, 22:00
Should be able to try it on the column, will need to poull the carpet back, you have a joint at the bottem, sorry i dont have a pic to hand, but if you grab below and abover the joint and try turning it, when you do that tehre shoudl't be any play atall, if you can move it even slightly its gone