PDA

View Full Version : okay!! Williams - running costs!?

robertoc
17-09-2005, 17:58
Right! some of you may have heard about the crap ive had with my clio - unmarked roadworks, big hole in road, bent suspension etc, insurance being idiots! Plan is to get it sorted and punt it. Ive got a lovely big comfy Mondeo that i am going to run for a while, over winter etc. In which time, i hope to maybe save us some cash! No more debt!!

I've been used to new cars for the last 4 years, and was always nervous about older ones, but the mondeo etc, has changed that! There are some good buys out there! So........save some cash up, maybe buy myself a PROPER car! none of this, lowered, wheels tosh! A true drivers car, out the box. How reliable is a williams going to be? How often am i going to have the garage bills coming in etc? I will save up and me being me, i would only buy a good one! Is northy still around? Selling yours yet mate?

I thought i would pop a post up to see what everyones opinions were, as, this is THE place to ask!!

Thanks all, Rob. :D

richy
17-09-2005, 18:06
well reliablity is normally down to how well looked after and what milage it has, try get one thats been serviced reguarly and overal looked after, ie when little things get broke or fail and they have gone to the effort to sort them,
running costs when mine was std wasnt to bad, fuel i could get about 36mpg under steady driving, but i find it hard to do that lol also now mine is slightly modded its bit worse on fuel as to be expected really
u have your normal wear items like tyres brakes etc to do which u get on all cars, with the williams u have things like the gearbox diff to watch out for, play in steering colum from bottom join, rust on arch's(mine has some), i personnaly havent had any problem with the engine and its serviced every 6k or sometimes less, try to make sure it has all 4 genuine speedline alloys in good nic, not prima copys , tbh there not to bad if been looked after, ive spent abit on mine but suspension/brakes/gearbox is all 100% new genuine !!!!

Daz
17-09-2005, 20:22
You'll get about 30mpg driving normally.. (well, as normal as driving a Williams can get).

My advice is tho, definetly, DEFINETLY get a mechanically sound one with all the major stuff changed unless you can do it yourself. They do break a lot - and I can see garage bills being outrageous on them if you arn't careful.

Mine's cost a fortune - and Mat (and his bro) has done all of the work for me. I wouldn't have mine if I had to take it to a normal garage - would just cost way too much.

I'm sure there are some mint examples left (bodywork wise) and sound mechanically, so just keep looking.
If you can do the mechanical side yourself, then just find the mintest bodywise and just buy new parts - they will mount up, tho. You will end up with a nice example, tho.

Took 18months to find two which we are happy with - but then, I doubt they'd get sold anytime soon so it was worth it.
Definetly drive a few - and take someone who knows what to look for - it's way too easy to just buy the first you see because it's there.. and you have the money.

Good Luck. :D

2 live
18-09-2005, 09:57
my advise is to get one that is structurally mint. there are quite a few around, mechanically they can be a bit of a pain in the arse, but to get a good bodyshop to cut out and repair any rust is expensive for a good job.

engines can be fitted from the meganes if there is major damage done to the engine, these can be picked up for as little as £250.

running costs vary, if you find a mint one bodywork wise, chances are its been pretty well looked after under the bonnet too. regular services will help keep evrything in order under the bonnet, ancilleries like starter, alt etc can give up, as with any car, and can be had quite cheaply.

main thing when looking for a williams tho. dont buy the 1st one you go to look at unless its well and truly mint. take your time and keep looking. it took me over 6 months to find mine, but i was lucky in getting a 1 family owned car, 2 owners, father and son, evry receipt including original bill of sale etc etc etc. i must have looked at about 20-30 williams' before i bought mine, all had some damage repaired on em, or were just rough.

if u get a good un, the possible extra price youl pay will pay for itself in the long run. mine has needed an exhaust, shox , clutch, brakes and tyres in the 3 1/2 years iv had it. which is nothing really. but i dont see the point in replacing std parts tbh, espacially when you can uprate the failing parts as cheaply in some cases.

NickFr
18-09-2005, 10:22
Having bought the first one that I saw, I can't agree enough with 2 Live...take your time and don't let your heart rule your head!

Day to day running costs are down very much to how heavy your right foot is 25 MPG is probably more realistic, but this can be lower if you want to give it some stick.

TBH, as a reliable "Family" car...not what I would choose frankly....they require to much TLC....up to you pays your money takes your chance!

2 live
18-09-2005, 10:28
btw. i use mine as the everyday family car as well as my weekend warrior.

usually has 2 babyseats in the back, and can be seen doing the school run every day. :lol:

although the mrs new job at the high school means that its now retired from running the kids to school, and only takes the mrs to work. which has attracted quite a bit of attention at the high school........'miss boot it' usually being the last thing she hears as driving off the car park lol

northy
19-09-2005, 07:49
glad to hear your upgrading rob.

there are some very good cars out there at the min - and a few with less miles than your old clios rob.

Budget on 3 - 5k for a minter mate. and take us all with you!

Tommo
19-09-2005, 15:14
I bought the first one I saw and (touch wood) has been hassle free so far. Only really wear and tear parts I have needed to replace, although I have had a wheel refurb and the steering column is getting welded next month which isn't a great cost.

Personally speaking I think if you make sure all oil levels etc. are topped up regularly and frequently changed and fully warmed up before booting it there shouldn't be a lot to go wrong, and also if it's not driven on the limit all the time!!

Kelly
19-09-2005, 15:20
Ah i'm such a bad influence

Go on Rob - buy one :twisted: