PDA

View Full Version : What Company Car????

NickFr
12-09-2005, 19:23
Right a little market research...you have a budget of between 25 to 35K, you have to choose your new company car, however here are a couple of ground rules!

1) No convertibles
2) Must seat minimum 4 Adults
3) No kit cars
4) Must be a new car
5) Must have reasonable boot space.

Remember, you will have this car for 3 years and you have a good quality job, so the right image is important!

lewis_willy2
12-09-2005, 19:47
audi a3,s3

bmw 330 coupe

Zollo
12-09-2005, 19:55
Sorry to be so predictable, but I'd go for a 330d like Lewis (Coupe if you can afford to lose the space). Or any E46 3-series, really, although you could get a new E90 3-series now. You won't find a better driving car in the same segment, and bollocks to the slightly dubious image. The Williams Clio of the small exec class 8) . The new A4 Audi DTM is supposed to be pretty good too though.

Leftfield, how about a Vauxhall Monaro. 6.0-litre V8 easily within your budget. May be able to get a VXR, if there are any left.

Or how about a new R32 Golf Mk5. Gonna be out pretty soon (november).

Predictable choice - an Evo or Impreza, if you can stomach the image. Although do they suffer a bad image in France? The new Subaru Legacy 3.0 spec B is good if you fancy the same....but different.

The Jag S Type and XJ are both really nice to drive I thought. Look good with the optional 19s.

NickFr
12-09-2005, 20:00
This is a car for the UK market

Zollo
12-09-2005, 20:00
:o

Zollo
12-09-2005, 20:10
So without wanting to sound stupid, does this mean you're coming back to the UK?

NickFr
12-09-2005, 20:11
So without wanting to sound stupid, does this mean you're coming back to the UK?

No, but there is a good reason for me posing this question though....indulge me...oh and thanks for your excellent reply :wink:

Zollo
12-09-2005, 20:17
:?

Well, for research purposes, I'd go for a last of the line manual 330d Touring, because as it's a company car I wouldn't worry about the nasty depreciation it'd have being a run-out model :P

Wish it was for real :(

edde
12-09-2005, 21:40
Thats almost enough for an S4
Lexus IS 300
Saab 9 3 Aero 2.0
Volvo S60R 300hp stock
Alfa 166 3.0liter
S typ Jag 3.0
If it were my money I'd try and get the cash you pay a fortune on tax. I know someone who has a 3.0 S type jag and they wish they had taken the abeitly smaller cash amount as they pay a fortune tax on a car they don't own.
If I had to pick a petrol it would be the Jag S type superb car. For a deisel (better for tax) the 330 or if you can the 335 BMW.

Gav
12-09-2005, 22:15
Audi A4
VW Phantom

NickFr
12-09-2005, 22:20
Audi A4
VW Phantom

You have up to 35k.....so what model of A4? also the VW Phaeton starts at £43000!

Zollo
12-09-2005, 22:38
I'd get this one, I keep the change....

http://www.carpages.co.uk/audi/audi-a4-30-04-05.asp?switched=on&echo=293264056

Gav
13-09-2005, 00:16
http://www.carpages.co.uk/audi/audi_images/audi_a4_dtm_30_04_05.jpg

deffo that one
dtm cars rock! The audis in the German Touring Cars look the daddy and the mercs

J o n
13-09-2005, 09:39
i'd go for a 530d instead of the 3 series, more car and you dont have the depreciation worry as it's someone else's car... other alternatives would be a 330 club sport from BMW options plan, build it up to the spec you want and have the ultra pimping looks :)

other alternatives:

Lancer Evo
X5?
350Z
New Mustang
Lexus IS300 Sport

northy
13-09-2005, 10:05
lanica evo would be a nice motor to own.

Purple
13-09-2005, 10:15
Landrover Defender Diesel in comfy trimmings. Neither rain, hail, sleet nor snow will keep you away from the Corporate HQ.

J o n
13-09-2005, 11:02
lanica evo would be a nice motor to own.

chav

Swervin_Mervin
13-09-2005, 11:38
A fully tricked up Golf GTI in white at the lower end of the financial scale for me.

Not really sure further up. I guess the 330Ci would be my choice personally.

2 live
13-09-2005, 12:57
cant u just get 2 17 1/2 grand caterhams?? :lol:

JayR
13-09-2005, 13:33
Wish my company car value was as much as that!!!Lol

We have rules stating it has to be diesel and a 5 door aswell!!! :roll:

Swervin_Mervin
13-09-2005, 14:07
Actually I'd have a Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B. Mint.

clowo16v
13-09-2005, 17:35
How much are RX-8's?

See ya

Matt

JayR
13-09-2005, 18:59
http://www.buyacar.co.uk/detailyq9825.jhtml?process=true&vehicle=9825&model=122&channel=&useIndex=false&pageNum=8&orderBy=derivativeString&manufacturer=164&idx=157

£800 of your budget but these are my favs..............The 3.2 a4 quattro on there for 30k looks spot on though..............Our MD and national sales manger have them as there company cars!!!

NickFr
13-09-2005, 19:12
Right don't yell at me but the reason I asked this question is, that this is exactly the rules and budget given to me in my last job in the UK. Reading all of the posts, it is pretty clear that the most popular choice by far is a BMW 330....the coupé being the preferred model.

When, I selected for real, I looked at Mercs, but they wern't " sporty" enough, Jaguar X type( shit )...in the end I chose a BMW 330Ci Sport, de-chromed with Harmon Kardon sound system installed....came in at just under 35K.

Why then? if virtually everyone that has posted has gone for a BMW, are all BMW drivers slated on here as being Wankers, Bad drivers, Ignorant...etc..etc. When in fact these guys have done nothing more than chosen the same car that the majority of people on here consider on balance to be the car that they themselves would pick.

It has always irked me so I devised this little test just to see...what you guys would go for :lol: :wink:

Some great selections have been made by the way...Great Audi's!

Zollo
13-09-2005, 19:38
Ha! Nice one Nick 8)

The attitude towards BMW drivers pisses me off too. My dad has one, and he's not an arse hole!

It's just lazy (but sometimes justified) stereo typing.

NickFr
13-09-2005, 20:44
I agree, the problem is that for so long the 3 and 5 series have been seen as the car to have, I always put it down to petty jealousy, love to know why driving a BMW ellicits such strong feelings of anger....oh well, I am sure someone will tell me :?:

Swervin_Mervin
13-09-2005, 22:04
Sorry to piss on your chips but most are wankers. FWIW I don't think they're the only ones. VAG group cars, mondeos and vectras all get lumped in by me. Also any woman driving an expensive motor. They ALWAYS arseholes. Oh and a lot of SUV drivers.

However, I think the trend is now away from finding them in BMWs and more in Audis.

clowo16v
13-09-2005, 22:30
Audi, Mercedes, BMW owners all drive like tossers :lol:

I think my cars have an adverse reaction to them. The more they tailgate the less throttle is opened.

See ya

Matt

NickFr
13-09-2005, 23:10
Well give these two gentlemen a Broom, sweeping statements or what :roll:

This is no different than people saying that all drivers of Hot Hatches and Gti's are wankers...or that people that add mods are Chavs....I drove over 70,000 miles a year all over the country, most of my time fending off little jerks baiting me to race....so that in theory they could post on car forums that they beat a BMW....the fact is that in all those miles of driving I did " Wankers" came in all shapes and sizes of cars, lorries,vans, people carriers, motorbikes.....what I didn't do is assume that if some little twat in a Nova tried to burn me off it meant that every Nova driver was a wanker. Lets keep this in perspective...as for tailgating, I have lost count of the number of times on motorways that drivers have looked in their mirrors and deliberatley not moved over because its a BMW that they see!

In France, people get the **** out of the way irrespective of the make or model of car....if someone wants to drive faster than you, they move over....its only in the UK that arseholes sit in the outside lane and piss everyone off by never moving over.....this I hasten to add is if there is room to move over obviously!!

NickFr
13-09-2005, 23:26
A fully tricked up Golf GTI in white at the lower end of the financial scale for me.

Bit confused, I thought all BMW and VW owners are Wankers :oops: :?

NickFr
13-09-2005, 23:38
Clowo16v...takes tailgating seriously :shock:

Doing about 90mph down the M1 yesterday in the fast lane, this 5 series starts tailgating me as the wankers do. Anyway I pulled over and let him past, then dropped it into 3rd and went after him.

Got up to 120mph sat on his bumper then he got scared and pulled over so I flew past him lol. Didn't look very amused either, it was 2 businessman types lol.

I rest my case, what the **** were you doing in the Fast lane...it's for overtaking :? ....he tailgates you, so you then decide to do the same but this time at 120MPH....what was that you were saying about BMW drivers :oops:

Zollo
13-09-2005, 23:41
I drive my Williams. Then I drive my dad's Beemer. I drive a Beemer, so therefore I'm a wanker. I'm a wanker, but I drive a Williams. So that means all Williams drivers are wankers. Which in turn means all Clio drivers are wankers. So that means.... we're all wankers!

:P

:roll:

JayR
14-09-2005, 07:57

Bit confused, I thought all BMW and VW owners are Wankers :oops: :?

HA

I think youve just pissed on his chips!!!

NickFr
14-09-2005, 09:06
Yes, I do believe his chips are slightly moist as a result of me covering them in "HOT STEAMING PISS ".....your mission, should you choose to accept it?...is to now eat them :twisted: " Do you want mushy peas with that?...to late :lol:

clowo16v
14-09-2005, 10:46
I was err.......overtaking lol.

I wasn't particularly tailgating, not as close as he was anyway. My car is lowered, and when you can't see the bottom of the headlights of the car behind you know they're close to you, about 5 feet behind actually.

I just sat 2 car lenghts of his back end while he accelerated, and booted it every so often to close the gap up lol.

See ya

Matt

Swervin_Mervin
14-09-2005, 11:04
Re-read my post nick. I said MOST are wankers, not ALL.

So my chips are still nice and un-pissed on, wheras yours are now thoroughly piss-soaked! :P

NickFr
14-09-2005, 11:54
Re-read my post nick. I said MOST are wankers, not ALL.

So my chips are still nice and un-pissed on, wheras yours are now thoroughly piss-soaked! :P

Au contraire Mike, my "French Fries" are dry as a bone...splitting hairs between all and most me thinks....anyway I'm right because I am older and better looking :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
14-09-2005, 12:07
I must say that the Manchester element does taint my view a bit. I'd say teh same about Boxster drivers y'see.

Wouldn't stop me from buying one though. A good car is a good car.

J o n
14-09-2005, 12:18
yeah BMW drivers around here are pretty bad on the whole, as are Mondeo and Focus drivers... they never seem to indicate or move over, but I think this is more 'rep driver' attitude than anything else... afterall, if I was on the road all day technically your in my office, so why should I move out the way or indicate in my own office huh?

I'll be getting a BMW as a next car, I cant wait to be a wanker! Step into my office mofo's! :lol:

NickFr
14-09-2005, 12:53
I suspect that all behaviours are exaggerated in and around large cities, particularly bad driving! nearest I have been to Manchester is Stockport.
I prefer the countryside...banging nightlife though I have been told in Manchester.

What does amaze me though, changing the subject is the apparently low prices of BMW M3's, as compared to alot of other fairly modest motors, it appears that " Bang for your buck" they represent a whole lot of car for the money...with most having FBMWSH :shock:

Zollo
14-09-2005, 13:01
So, most people that drive the following are wankers, apparently.....

Audi
Volkswagen
Skoda
Seat
Lamborghini
Bugatti
Bentley
Mercedes
BMW
Boxters
Mondeo
Vectra