PDA

View Full Version : TRACKDAY TYRES

northy
12-09-2005, 10:43
Ive managed to get a contact that can supply me with a few differant types of tyre.

Road legal Michelin pilot cup - £140 (ex vat) new or £20 part worn.
Michelin plain slick in a 205 50 15 - £120 new or £20 - 25 worn.
Kumo slicks are a little cheaper - £20 part worn.

I carnt decide if i need slicks or road legal ones for our forthcoming trackdays....but having 4 wheels and camping lugage in the williams wont really go.

Toyo and dunlop do slicks and road legal ones......so bear with me guys and i will see what i can find.

summeh
12-09-2005, 13:39
I was lookin into running slicks for the up and coming trackday, but was advised its not best practice if your running standard springs. more likely to roll if u spin.

So im just gonna keep with standard suspension and some fresh goodyear road tyres i think.

summeh
12-09-2005, 13:39
btw i would be interested in future :D

Zollo
12-09-2005, 14:17
The handling characteristics of slicks are different too I think. Higher limits, but not such a progressive break away. Mark?

Still very interested in the Cups though :twisted: .....once I have some money :(

Fred
12-09-2005, 20:18
understeer is ok with slicks, easy to control

oversteer however is slightly more "exciting" you have to be very quick

Zollo
12-09-2005, 20:22
oversteer however is slightly more "exciting" you have to be very quick

Not for me then :? :P

Cheers Fred.

Mark_Ritchspeed
13-09-2005, 22:57
Just dont run the slicks on the rear then. Use the decent slicks on the front and run something like Colways on the rear.

Anyway, I can check again, but I reckon I can get better prices for Michelin slicks than that. :wink:

northy
14-09-2005, 07:48
i want a road legal slick mark. not enough space to bring a spare set of boots.

richy
14-09-2005, 22:06
Ive managed to get a contact that can supply me with a few differant types of tyre.

Road legal Michelin pilot cup - £140 (ex vat) new or £20 part worn.
Michelin plain slick in a 205 50 15 - £120 new or £20 - 25 worn.
Kumo slicks are a little cheaper - £20 part worn.

I carnt decide if i need slicks or road legal ones for our forthcoming trackdays....but having 4 wheels and camping lugage in the williams wont really go.

Toyo and dunlop do slicks and road legal ones......so bear with me guys and i will see what i can find.

northy, what size are the michelin pliot cup? id be intrested in 2 part worns mate

richy
15-09-2005, 19:25
bump for northy :wink:

Mark_Ritchspeed
15-09-2005, 22:17
Also (for Northy) got some Yoko prices as well.

195/50/15 AO48's semi-slick in either S/SS/Med compound are either £220 for 2 (delivered), or £410 for 4 (delivered).

A006T 190/580/15 (basically 195/50/15) which are FIA approved cut-slick tarmac rally tyres work out at £260 for 2 or £500 for 4.

And, if your going to use either slicks or semi-slicks you really will need some serious suspension work to get any gain from them.

richy
15-09-2005, 22:22
mark is there any point with them 200lb springs i will be using? only after the front road legal tyres, semi slicks

Mark_Ritchspeed
15-09-2005, 22:29
Yes the springs should be fine, but to make sure the outer edges of the tyres dont get destroyed you'll need some negative camber, which I now have. :twisted:

The only problem I have now is I need to get a shorter 16v driveshaft as the hub is sitting in closer to the gearbox and clunking on the inner joint.

richy
15-09-2005, 22:31
as std it runs about 1degree neg camber on both front wheels ill have to buy some camber bolts to get more lol :D

Mark_Ritchspeed
15-09-2005, 22:35
Thought about camber bolts, but just heard too many horror stories on different cars, so decided to slot the top hub-mount on the strut. Which enables you to have adjustable camber, but without having to use thinner, weaker bolts.

richy
15-09-2005, 22:37
Thought about camber bolts, but just heard too many horror stories on different cars, so decided to slot the top hub-mount on the strut. Which enables you to have adjustable camber, but without having to use thinner, weaker bolts.

good idea, i was on about this to rich the other day!

'goes to find drill'!! :twisted:

Rich
15-09-2005, 22:39
how did you slot them mark? did you just 'file' them out shall we say? any stengthening plates?

Mark_Ritchspeed
15-09-2005, 22:49
At the moment, they are just reamed out to a 15.5mm hole as opposed to the 12mm hole as standard. This has enabled about 1.8 degrees neg.

I may take them out a little further (16.5-17mm) and get them to exactly 2 degrees, give them a good test and then weld washers onto the struts for extra security.

Rich
15-09-2005, 22:53
ahh right thats cool then, i need to take some negative off my drivers side so i need to look at the bottom hole i presume to have the opposite effect? something is wrong but i'm not sure what on it as its about 2 degrees out compared to the drivers side gonna see if the ball joint is the correct size first though before i touch the damper leg

Mark_Ritchspeed
15-09-2005, 22:56
Wrong strut maybe? Lots of the Renault struts seem to have vastly different camber settings on the hub mounting.

Rich
15-09-2005, 22:58
possible, i have found a few bits which are williams bits like the sump, rad fan and little things like that so its possible as it seems someone clueless had it before me tbh

Fred
16-09-2005, 00:41
sounds a bit odd rich??? have you bent a strut???

michelle's pink car is running 4deg neg camber on the front, works perfectly with slicks in nice dry + warm conditions

slicks start to "go off" after about 30 HARD laps (although it slides nicely!!!)

if you're gonna run used tyres, just be slightly cautious, slicks can only go through 4-5 heat cycles IMO before being ****ED (as i found out at donnington at 100mph++ sideways!!!!!!!!

northy
16-09-2005, 07:59
michelle's pink car is running 4deg neg camber on the front, works perfectly with slicks in nice dry + warm conditions

how have they done that fred ?

northy
16-09-2005, 09:02
Also (for Northy) got some Yoko prices as well.

195/50/15 AO48's semi-slick in either S/SS/Med compound are either £220 for 2 (delivered), or £410 for 4 (delivered).

A006T 190/580/15 (basically 195/50/15) which are FIA approved cut-slick tarmac rally tyres work out at £260 for 2 or £500 for 4.

And, if your going to use either slicks or semi-slicks you really will need some serious suspension work to get any gain from them.

Can you sort me out with a set of road legal slicks mark ??

Not fussed on brand aslong as they grip well.

Gone away from slicks as i carnt transport them to the venues.

Rich
16-09-2005, 10:26
sounds a bit odd rich??? have you bent a strut???not AFAIK mate i'm gonna have the front in bits and measure up the dampers and measure the ball joints to see if some muppet has put the wrong part on! it does have an aftermarket damper on the opposite side as well so i'm wondering where the difference lies. i may just slot the damper for now until i can afford a new set of dampers unless i fint it to be a ball joint or 100% find something thats been bent before i had the car

Fred
16-09-2005, 15:52
northy, all the cup racers came with decarbon race suspension, which included the struts with 4deg neg camber

it was "supposed" to be non adjustable, but a lot of the teams opened out the holes so they could adjust the camber slightly to gain advantage!!!!

i can gid out all the part numbers for the cup racer suspension if you would like, you can still buy it from Renault!!!!

riche, sounds like its the aftermarket shock

Rich
16-09-2005, 16:06
yeah something is definately a miss and it certainly doesnt match the other side. i'm now kicking myself as i sold a pair of matching dampers not so long back before i bought the car :cry: i've managed to sort it out a little bit fot now so that the handling isnt vastly different from turning one way to the other. just gotta save up now for a new pair of dampers and it shoudl sort it fully

northy
19-09-2005, 07:39
northy, all the cup racers came with decarbon race suspension, which included the struts with 4deg neg camber

it was "supposed" to be non adjustable, but a lot of the teams opened out the holes so they could adjust the camber slightly to gain advantage!!!!

i can gid out all the part numbers for the cup racer suspension if you would like, you can still buy it from Renault!!!!

riche, sounds like its the aftermarket shock

Part numbers would be great fred....defo a sticky !