PDA

View Full Version : Rust worry

wilsofar
05-11-2017, 21:49
Having just sold my Super 5 Monaco without too much rust worry,am I entering the lion's den by buying a Williams 3.

I have seen a 3 with 100k but being parked behind an immobile blower Bentley I've not been able to test yet.

A worrying trait has shown up in internal rust in the tailgate -right side beneath the glass and rusted completely through but not on the outside.

Should I steer clear -the seller says he will MOT before I test and not hold me to buy- but are there many hidden areas much mask terminal rust that I should be aware?

Bodywork seems ok other than small area on door tops where lacquer has started to peel.

No obvious rusting on rear wheel arches.

The price of £7000 seems ok.

Comments to help me make a decision would be very gratefully received.

W1LL14M5
05-11-2017, 22:11
Having just sold my Super 5 Monaco without too much rust worry,am I entering the lion's den by buying a Williams 3.

I have seen a 3 with 100k but being parked behind an immobile blower Bentley I've not been able to test yet.

A worrying trait has shown up in internal rust in the tailgate -right side beneath the glass and rusted completely through but not on the outside.

Should I steer clear -the seller says he will MOT before I test and not hold me to buy- but are there many hidden areas much mask terminal rust that I should be aware?

Bodywork seems ok other than small area on door tops where lacquer has started to peel.

No obvious rusting on rear wheel arches.

The price of £7000 seems ok.

Comments to help me make a decision would be very gratefully received.Go for w1 or w2...7k is way too much for a w3

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Danno
06-11-2017, 00:27
The tailgate is quite a common issue, finding another in great condition is possible, but not easy. 7k could well be to much, but what miles has car done? Look at all the things/parts that are no longer available brand new -
window rubbers, weather strips, manifold heat shield etc. If these are knackered they are getting difficult to find even second hand....I have a good, honest williams 1 for sale, more than the 3 is priced at, but if your serious about buying, then it's worth considering.

Dan

16v_paddy
06-11-2017, 00:35
Rust in the tailgate wouldn't bother me as it's easy for water to get trapped in there & rot them out, it's the structural areas you want to be looking at like at the bottom of the windscreen, rear quarters and the rear chassis legs

But at £7k with no current MOT I think the guy is on crack. If it's not presented as well as this 1 on ebay I'd give it a miss tbh https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-CLIO-WILLIAMS-3-F7R-3-DOOR-HPI-CLEAR/253225356482?hash=item3af5684cc2:g:FE0AAOSwnTdZ8Cf f

Ayli Carper
06-11-2017, 17:17
You haven't put a question mark at the end of your first sentence but the answer is a clear YES.

Rust in the tailgate wouldn't bother me as it's easy for water to get trapped in there & rot them out, it's the structural areas you want to be looking at like at the bottom of the windscreen, rear quarters and the rear chassis legs

But at £7k with no current MOT I think the guy is on crack. If it's not presented as well as this 1 on ebay I'd give it a miss tbh https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-CLIO-WILLIAMS-3-F7R-3-DOOR-HPI-CLEAR/253225356482?hash=item3af5684cc2:g:FE0AAOSwnTdZ8Cf f

You could probably get the car Paddy's linked to for not much more than £7k and certainly you'd end up paying more than £8.5k for the car you describe, including a lot of heartache and grazed knuckles. (Though you'll get them whichever one you buy.)

... and the Ebay one is a much better mileage, if that counts for anything.

northy
07-11-2017, 15:02
There will be ALOT more rust than what you will first see. Are you happy taking on a project?