PDA

View Full Version : Some fool bought the car at Classic Heros

abiddavid
27-03-2017, 13:21
Thatll be me !
it is a big figure for a Clio Williams1 but im fully expecting it to be A1 when i receive it in a few weeks time.
Its having a full resto and from what i understand it wasn't in terrible nick to begin with.
Does anyone on here know the car ?
L392PMT

Cheers

Abid

fresh
27-03-2017, 14:03
i looked into getting this weeks ago and was told it was sold....

northy
27-03-2017, 15:58
This one https://www.classicheroes.co.uk/renault-clio-williams

Number 0372?

abiddavid
27-03-2017, 16:25
Yes that's the one.
Is it 372?!

ianbirch
27-03-2017, 17:45
Yes that's the one.
Is it 372?!

Am i right in thinking you have bought this car sight unseen?

Regards Ian

abiddavid
27-03-2017, 19:05
Yes
I'm guessing something I'm about to find out that I won't like !

ianbirch
27-03-2017, 19:50
Yes
I'm guessing something I'm about to find out that I won't like !

Not from me... I only know what is written about it in the register....I'm just surprised anybody would spend that much money without first seeing it.

Regards Ian

abiddavid
27-03-2017, 20:22
Didn't you read the title to the thread ?!

abiddavid
27-03-2017, 20:32
On a slightly more serious note - it's having everything done to it
full respray windows, tank etc out
suspension rebuild / replace, new brakes etc etc etc
The trader is reputable in classic cars
what was a tyre kicker like me going to see ?

maybe a little too trusting but I'm willing to take that risk.
Fingers crossed I guess.

ianbirch
27-03-2017, 20:33
Didn't you read the title to the thread ?!

He he...enough said....

Regards Ian

manxseven
27-03-2017, 21:22
good luck,

hopefully they are taking loads of photos for you, so you can have a record and also see what it is like under the skin,

Cheers,
Simon

abiddavid
27-03-2017, 21:44
Thank you. That's kind.
I have got a load of photos already. I shall try and post them
I'll ask for more for sure.

simundo
28-03-2017, 07:08
Sounds like it could be lovely but be very mindful, it's very easy to make a car look fantastic from the outside but it could be rotten under the skin so don't get too fooled by a shiny paint job.

Gustavo7
29-03-2017, 14:43
Big risk you took there but hope it pays off and the car will be immaculate.

Check areas of the bodywork that are prone to rust and not immediately visible, especially the slam panel where the windscreen sits on.

Open the jack and screen washer tank compartments and have a good feel there. take your phone and record a video with the flash on to help you assess the condition on that particular area.

Rare parts like the manifold heatshield and the boot suit carrier shall be found in top condition for that price. Check that all electrics work, that ventilation/heating works on all speed settings.

If you are not car minded it's probably a good idea to ask someone knowledgeable to go with you when collection takes place.

I'm not too far from Classic Heroes, let me know if you need an extra pair of eyes.

good luck!

Coops
31-03-2017, 15:54
as above really, be mindful of coverups over known prone areas, another is rear chassis rails to rear panel and front inner arches under the wings and splash guards. All areas easily hidden or missed

and as others mentioned to, i'd want to be sure all correct original parts are on it, parcel is the most tricky as the Williams one had a unique one, not just the suit carrier but the shelf itself is different, thicker covering, almost woolly!

abiddavid
04-04-2017, 11:20
thank you everyone for all the offers of help and advice. The car wont be ready for some time yet, i will be try to get over to see it before they put it all together though.
one question - is it possible to get hold of new floor mats?
cheers
Abid

northy
04-04-2017, 12:47
I've not seen new genuine rubber ones, but new reproduction carpet style you can buy on ebay.

So whats the deal with the car then? Have you bought the finished article and now they are starting the restoration???

abiddavid
04-04-2017, 13:35
When the was posted for sale it was going through a resto, the price was for a full restoration of what i was told was a sound car to begin with. It had been sold through CH to the previous two owners.
The HK story is accurate , it went there, and came back with the last owner i think (or the one before).
Big money for a CW but I'm confident the trader knows his onions and is reputable. I'm expecting a very good car!!
As per the thread title , i might be being a total mug but I've taken a view on it ,
i dont have the time to manage a resto myself- we'll soon find out if I'm right or wrong!!:excited:

northy
04-04-2017, 15:20
have you got any pictures you can upload ?

PhilW
04-04-2017, 17:07
When the was posted for sale it was going through a resto, the price was for a full restoration of what i was told was a sound car to begin with. It had been sold through CH to the previous two owners.
The HK story is accurate , it went there, and came back with the last owner i think (or the one before).
Big money for a CW but I'm confident the trader knows his onions and is reputable. I'm expecting a very good car!!
As per the thread title , i might be being a total mug but I've taken a view on it ,
i dont have the time to manage a resto myself- we'll soon find out if I'm right or wrong!!:excited:

You may turn out to be a very wise man, doing your own Resto takes absolutely ages and plenty of stress 😉.
I do however know exactly what has been done to my car though, so there is a benefit, good luck with yours, may it be a relaxing wait 👍

abiddavid
05-04-2017, 11:50
You may turn out to be a very wise man, doing your own Resto takes absolutely ages and plenty of stress .
I do however know exactly what has been done to my car though, so there is a benefit, good luck with yours, may it be a relaxing wait 

Phil , thank you- i have problems doing up my shoelaces , a resto done by me would be a deathtrap!!
I do understand the comfort of knowing a job being well done by doing it yourself, a massive benefit i quite agree .

Coops
05-04-2017, 13:16
also if its for a long term investment, they're only going to go up so stick it in a garage for a decade and it'll be worth double what you paid imo

abiddavid
05-04-2017, 15:49
Does no harm that i wont lose my shirt on it

But life is way too short to not enjoy a car like this.
I'm planning on doing a few evening track days at brands as soon as it arrives

Vandella
18-04-2017, 15:23
this is literally 10/15 mins from me.. wish id gone to have a nose...

hope it's a good 'un

abiddavid
19-04-2017, 10:59
im sure you still can ! barney is a very nice chap .

bradders
14-05-2017, 10:18
im sure you still can ! barney is a very nice chap .

Congrats on the purchase! I follow them on facebook and love the progress shots they've posted, certainly looks like it'll be done properly - not sure there's much risk involved considering they're a reputable classic restorer.

Enjoy the wait and welcome to the club!

Wobba
15-05-2017, 00:53
Yes, it's a load of money, but I think you're in good hands and the Williams is a fast appreciating classic. Enjoy :)

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicHeroesCarsIcons/

Nutbehinddawheel
24-07-2017, 20:22
Any updates -pics Fumo collection, hoons, track etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northy
11-08-2017, 15:36
any updates ?

Nutbehinddawheel
13-08-2017, 08:45
If not included in resto, I would get a reputable installer to fit paint protection film to the full front, roof leading edge, doors and rear arches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danopv6
28-04-2018, 00:21
Did you get it on the track?