PDA

View Full Version : Mystery sensor quiz

PhilW
29-01-2017, 12:43
Well not really a quiz.
I have a sensor spare are the moment and before I put anything else on the engine I want to make sure that I have not missed out anything obvious.
I have fitted the oil pressure swith, oil pressure sensor, 3 sensors on the thormostat housing and one on the end of the illet manifold.
i have this one left over
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8237&stc=1

It looks like a radiotor coolant sensor, but that it still in the radiator.
Any ideas?

16v_paddy
29-01-2017, 21:21
Looks like the rad fan switch to me, take the 1 out of your rad to compare

PhilW
29-01-2017, 22:06
Looks like the rad fan switch to me, take the 1 out of your rad to compare
I can always rely on you Paddy 👍.
Yes, I thought the same. I took the one out of the Rad and its very similar.
The issue that I have is that I dont know why I have an extra sensor Paddy as I bag and label pretty much everything that comes off the car. However this was in a bag with the oil sensors.....

What I really wanted to make sure of, is that there is no threaded hole anywhere in the block which is missing a sensor. I have had a good look around and cannot see anything out of place at all.,so my post was a double check 👍

16v_paddy
29-01-2017, 23:07
The only place on the engine I can think of that comes close to having a hole that size is for the knock sensor but that sensor is brown with a square plug.

I always throw the sensor in the rad in the bin as they're a common thing to fail & new ones are relatively cheap & easy to get hold of

PhilW
29-01-2017, 23:34
The only place on the engine I can think of that comes close to having a hole that size is for the knock sensor but that sensor is brown with a square plug.

I always throw the sensor in the rad in the bin as they're a common thing to fail & new ones are relatively cheap & easy to get hold of

Knock sensor is firmly in place Paddy.
As you say it must be the radiator sensor, I'll look at replacing it if its likely to fail.
What about the other sensors, any others likely to fail or need replacing whilst the engine is on the stand?
The sensoers from Renault are all bloody expensive, so I'm not replacing all of them as standard.
Cheers

16v_paddy
30-01-2017, 01:06
I get all mine from motor factors or ebay as they're nothing particularly special & there's zero advantage to buying genuine items as they're used on other cars as well.

The other most common 1 to fail is the 1 on the thermostat housing that points directly towards the wheel arch, that's for the ecu & causes running issues if it's knackered.
It's worth bearing in mind that none of them will last forever though

PhilW
30-01-2017, 09:05
I get all mine from motor factors or ebay as they're nothing particularly special & there's zero advantage to buying genuine items as they're used on other cars as well.

The other most common 1 to fail is the 1 on the thermostat housing that points directly towards the wheel arch, that's for the ecu & causes running issues if it's knackered.
It's worth bearing in mind that none of them will last forever though

Cheers Paddy, I'll check out the factors.

16v_paddy
31-01-2017, 00:43
My little secret that I'm begrudgingly sharing :lol: is to trawl ebay as amongst all the dross you quite often find sellers with genuine new old stock for sale, you'll sometimes find a listing for some obscure renault part with the packaging in the picture & clicking on seeing their other items for sale opens up a goldmine of stuff that would otherwise be easily missed.

Here's 1 of those sellers http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/petespartsuk?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2754 :winkey:

PhilW
31-01-2017, 09:59
My little secret that I'm begrudgingly sharing :lol: is to trawl ebay as amongst all the dross you quite often find sellers with genuine new old stock for sale, you'll sometimes find a listing for some obscure renault part with the packaging in the picture & clicking on seeing their other items for sale opens up a goldmine of stuff that would otherwise be easily missed.

Here's 1 of those sellers http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/petespartsuk?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2754 :winkey:

Thanks Paddy, thats great.
It can be our little secret......😉

northy
01-02-2017, 16:27
was it from your spares car? or could have been a spare in the glove box of the car your rebuilding?

Ayli Carper
01-02-2017, 22:08
I used to have a Suzuki van with two thermostats in the glove box. I often wondered which was the one the previous vendor had taken out...

PhilW
03-02-2017, 00:12
was it from your spares car? or could have been a spare in the glove box of the car your rebuilding?

Good thinking Rich, however I still have the radiator intact from the donor car and the engine was scrapped with the car, so its still a mystery part 😳