PDA

View Full Version : camshafts

bigjim
08-09-2005, 11:07
can anyone running aftermarket cams preferably benr cams on standard timing advise me what the idle is like compared to standard. is it really lumpy? can u notice a difference in power over standard? cheers

FlamingMonkey
08-09-2005, 11:18
Jesus is running Bens cams on standard timing, and his idle is typical of a cammed car I reckon, not really lumpy, just nice, sounds good and goes like stink I got to drive it the other week, hard to tell but I reckon its quicker than my Kent cammed Willy, although we shall see one both timed and remapped.

Oh and Mark_Ritchspeed is running them also, not seen it still long enough to experience the idle...lol

northy
08-09-2005, 11:19
The jesus and Mark ritchspeed are on Angelworks cams and with Mark i carnt tell that he has them to be honest.

But once warm jesus's sound a little lumpy - but not anythink like Kents do on idle.

FlamingMonkey
08-09-2005, 11:22
But once warm jesus's sound a little lumpy - but not anythink like Kents do on idle.

I reckon his are louder and lumpier than mine, but his are no where near the Banana's on idle which are Kents same as mine.

bigjim
08-09-2005, 11:44
cheers. its going to be my next mod i think, or possibly supersprint manifold. but i think cams will give the bigger gains.

J o n
08-09-2005, 11:45
well speaking to ben a while back and once you time cams in they sound much more lumpy, hence the Nana... I cant wait for my car to sound like a complete slag! lol

northy
08-09-2005, 11:50
cams alone wont give you much of a increase - but coupled to a remap - then the gains will be definatly noticable :D

J o n
08-09-2005, 11:53
disagree, cams alone have made my car quite a bit quicker... I really need to show you the hard way tho Northy ;)

FlamingMonkey
08-09-2005, 12:00
well speaking to ben a while back and once you time cams in they sound much more lumpy, hence the Nana... I cant wait for my car to sound like a complete slag! lol

Mine must be times in shit then, i dunno, 2lives wasn't very lumpy either?

northy
08-09-2005, 12:04
disagree, cams alone have made my car quite a bit quicker... I really need to show you the hard way tho Northy ;)

sunday evening mate ?

J o n
08-09-2005, 12:06
Rob, 2 lives was never timed in he said, it was just running TDC! :shock:

... so there was potentially another power hike it never got... scary thought...

yeah, is that the Reno day thingy Northy? I should still do ya with a fooked zorst and decat blowing i reckon ;)

northy
08-09-2005, 12:09
sure is mate

but im running camping gear and passenger - still see it off :wink:

J o n
08-09-2005, 12:26
lol, then there's no real point, you'll get panned mate... remeber when you had the missus in and crap on the way to FCS? you gave up when I went into 4th... and I waited for you to get on the power first! :roll: lol

northy
08-09-2005, 12:59
was running with 2 markees, passenger, food for a week and next doors dog.

ok mate - i can wait to be panned :lol:

J o n
08-09-2005, 13:27
haha, i'll go half throttle to give you a chance ;)

richy
08-09-2005, 18:32
mine use to idle lumpy ish, wasnt to bad but had to adjust the timing as it would stall when cold, bit annoying going to work and back lol ran mine on std timing in end and felt ok, felt faster but maybe that was me imagining it lol??

BenR
09-09-2005, 00:43
Its very pot luck when running std pullies.

Jesus's are on stock timing, not really that lumpy, and i measured the timing and they are miles off compared to what they should be. Yet they work brilliantly (and still hold the fastest bridge test at our bypass).....weird.

Marks i have a feeling really need to be timed in, they arent working to their full potential at all.

And the cams WILL be lumpy when timed in aggressively, although i do offer free retiming sessions to those who dont like the setup.

Twist off here had them timed in mildly and they were ok, but he wanted it aggressive and said idle didnt matter and he didnt care about low down torque. So we ripped them timing wise, and the thing came alive, it would spin from 2000rpm and just belt upto the redline.

The cams seems to work differently with diff engines, hence i offer free adjustment.

VIPERONE
09-09-2005, 07:37
i run cams on standard timing, and standard pullies.. works fine for me.

northy
09-09-2005, 07:47
class...so i take it these cam adjustments are worked out on the rolling road Ben ?

Or is it the bridge test that you go by ??

J o n
09-09-2005, 08:25
the bridge test would be a better measurement imo as it's a real world, I asked Ben to give it a pasting up there... mainly wanted to see what it compared like to his Scooby! lol

BenR
12-09-2005, 00:49
Cams are designed to run at set timing events, and swinging the cams a few degrees in low output std trims like these dont make too much of a difference. However, i do adjust the timing to make the driver happy, ask twist, he came back for adjustment as he wanted them peaky and all about top end, it made a dramatic difference.

The bridge test is just a rough, unofficial test to gauge a cars overall performance, and only done with or under the owners instructions, by no means anything formal lol.