PDA

View Full Version : VSA

Wild
31-10-2016, 21:27
Recently purchased N448 VSA from a person local to me.

Will be undertaking a full overall :) From what i can see it needs so far:

Inner and Outer Sills
Rear Chassis Legs
Boot Floor Repairs
Front Crossmember
Inner wings
Bulkhead repairs
Floor Repairs
Front Chassis rails
Front Jacking Points

Although I'm sure it will probably need a lot more than that to get her sorted properly!!

Vandella
01-11-2016, 12:34
that is a daunting list.. have a look through Phil's resto job.. he's done pretty much all that you have listed there;

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?44816-The-restoration-story-of-Number-180&p=436805#post436805

Chris197F1
01-11-2016, 13:26
So you basically bought some wheels and some seats? lol

Good luck with the project Wild and get some pictures up :)

Wild
01-11-2016, 20:30
that is a daunting list.. have a look through Phil's resto job.. he's done pretty much all that you have listed there;

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?44816-The-restoration-story-of-Number-180&p=436805#post436805

Yeah I've had a good read through it, Phil has some great fabrication skills! Luckily for me my mate and I are both mechanics and will tackle her together, We did a half-finished TR6 earlier this year and finished it a few months ago so this is the new venture haha!

So you basically bought some wheels and some seats? lol

Good luck with the project Wild and get some pictures up :)

Pretty much! Oh and a steering wheel too :tongue3: No in all reality it's in reasonable nick considering, pile of service history and invoices, interior is more or less mint bar a wee hole in the drivers seat, Engine runs allbeit very rough! Think a new dizzy cap, rotor, leads and plugs should sort out the running. Then probably a new timing belt as we're not 100% sure the last time it was changed :)

Fdl76
01-11-2016, 20:44
Great buy... I ve discovered my W2 few months ago... Cracking motor... Surprising chassis...

PhilW
02-11-2016, 10:24
With that list looks like you are going to do a proper job, which in my opinion is the only way to do it.
Good luck with it, if you need it you will always find good levels of support on this site, this site is quiet these days but the people who know what they are talking about still seem to be about, cheers,

Crossers
02-11-2016, 19:00
True Phil, I only discovered the Facebook page yesterday! Its a little busier.

Welcome to the restoration club Mr (or maybe miss/Mrs/Ms)!) Wild. I finished #360 last year and am about to delve into whatever #285 has in store for me!

Paul

Wild
02-11-2016, 22:16
Yeah I'll definitely be cutting out the rust fully and welding fresh sections of metal, wont be cutting corners, the only thing i may do which wont please the 100% purists is overlap welding which will be treated with weld through primer and plenty of primer, stone chip and protection :)

I wish there was another option for this one .. but just have to get on with it, will get some photos up once I've started it properly .. away on a course for the next couple of days so will probably be next week before any progress begins. Already got the front end off (Wings and Bumper) thats how i know the crossmember is shot.

Timmy C
03-11-2016, 19:31
wow Wild I think you have quite a job there - sounds like you got the skills tho. Do put some pictures up as it progresses! I'm sure you will be happy with the outcome - they are cracking cars to drive and own

Wild
04-11-2016, 21:40
wow Wild I think you have quite a job there - sounds like you got the skills tho. Do put some pictures up as it progresses! I'm sure you will be happy with the outcome - they are cracking cars to drive and own

Definitely quite a task to undertake, Dunno about the skills haha!! Ill have to get some pictures up of the car as it currently stands - The plane is weld from the rear to the front ... well it is at the minute haha

Wild
07-11-2016, 21:04
Finally a photographic update for all you picture lovers :) After bashing my finger, getting a cold and having to attend a course for work I've finally started work on the Williams :thumbsup:

As I said previously I've decided to tackle it from the back to the front, started with the N/S Boot floor and bumper area.

I started by having a good poke around the boot floor with a screwdriver and before i knew it ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wild_n_loud/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg

Yep you guessed it a massive hole :( The Chassis rail needs replaced too so I'll have to get some thicker metal from the blacksmiths this week and get to making that ..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wild_n_loud/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpeg

Anyway I decided since I didn't have any thicker metal to replicate a Chassis rail, I would instead tackle the the panel beneath the rear bumper that had quite a lot of surface rust and holes :( So no choice really, out with the old crusty metal, fabricate a new section and weld into place followed by a couple of coats of red oxide primer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wild_n_loud/Mobile%20Uploads/image_1.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wild_n_loud/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wild_n_loud/Mobile%20Uploads/image_3.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/wild_n_loud/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpeg

Please excuse my crap welding the welder at work isn't very good and I've not took my one in yet! I shall get some more photos up once I've fabricated the rear chassis rail .. then drop the tank out and do the other side :)

PhilW
08-11-2016, 09:36
True Phil, I only discovered the Facebook page yesterday! Its a little busier.

Welcome to the restoration club Mr (or maybe miss/Mrs/Ms)!) Wild. I finished #360 last year and am about to delve into whatever #285 has in store for me!

Paul

Never did get to see #360 Paul. Maybe in the spring 2017 eh, #180 should be road ready by then.
Good luck with the new project.

an02rew
24-10-2017, 20:50
any updates on this project Wild?

ianbirch
24-10-2017, 22:32
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Williams-3-Barn-Find/272898577852?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Fuzzy
24-10-2017, 23:35
It was listed on Gumtree last week by a what appears to be a different seller/town to the one on the ebay listing, it might be three owners now:-k

an02rew
29-10-2017, 09:40
I think he is maybe selling it illegally as I keep asking if the v5 is in his name and get no response, nor will he give out the reference number so I can check with DVLA. He bought it on the Saturday and by Monday it was on eBay. He paid a lot less than he’s selling it for and I don’t think he’s a dealer. Real shame as I used to see this car driving around when I was younger. Does anyone know if this is illegal?

Danno
29-10-2017, 17:34
I really wish people would stop using ' according to the how many left website blah blah ' it's bollocks and looks terrible in the description ....another favourite is - I've bought this as a project because I've always wanted one, but if I can make a killing I'll sell, if not I'll keep - well what is it..? Your either selling it or your not, if you wanted one that much, why sell...?
All I can say is DO YOUR RESEARCH to any buyer of any car....

16v_paddy
29-10-2017, 19:26
I think he is maybe selling it illegally as I keep asking if the v5 is in his name and get no response, nor will he give out the reference number so I can check with DVLA. He bought it on the Saturday and by Monday it was on eBay. He paid a lot less than he’s selling it for and I don’t think he’s a dealer. Real shame as I used to see this car driving around when I was younger. Does anyone know if this is illegal?

It's pretty meaningless tbh, name on the v5 just means who is responsible for taxing the car plus you can get a v5 for any car in your name if you pay the £20 fee so I wouldn't think too much of it

an02rew
29-10-2017, 20:42
Fair enough, I’m just gutted I was away last weekend when it was sold on Gumtree, lol. I would have liked it for a restoration. Remember seeing this going around about 9/10 years ago when I had my replica. One owner from new basically and then I think Wild has had it since then by the looks of it. Original guy passed away not too long ago. Just annoying this person that bought it wasn’t even interested by the looks of it and has put it straight on eBay. Moan over lol.

Wild
12-11-2017, 19:25
Sorry for not updating this guys and girls!

As you can see by the eBay posting I sold the car. Basically we didn't have time to restore her properly unfortunately, therefore we both came to the conclusion that selling it to someone who could restore her would be the best option. I sold it to a person that told me it would be his project over the winter and made all the right sounds and was even an ex Panel beater so could weld and restore a car far better than me!

Unfortunately it does seem like he has sold it on to another person who has sold it on eBay. If the guy i originally sold it to didn't sound so keen then i probably wouldn't have sold it to him and would've advertised it on here; or even kept her and eventually restore her.

On the downside the car did require extensive welding to the Floor, Crossmembers at rear, Inner Wings, Beneath the headlights, Bulkhead below the windscreen, Inner and Outer Sills and a few other wee niggly areas. I do hope one day the car does make another appearance on the road as it would be a lovely example if restored.

Edit: I've also had confirmation the v5 is no longer in my name!

zippy!
02-12-2017, 11:02
I'm the latest owner. The car is now in NE England. Hopefully I can get it sorted. Work has already begun. Its not all bad!

zippy!
04-12-2017, 23:13
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8683&stc=1 So, interior out, and on with removing the tar sound deadening. As you can see there's lots of work to do. Not keen on the previous repair so will be having that replaced. Couple more evenings with the burner and wood chisel methinks.

Said I would never do this again after doing my hillman imp ha ha ha.

(previous repair is to left under the pile of "bits").

an02rew
05-01-2018, 23:35
I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread :)

zippy!
07-01-2018, 09:56
The car is now st the welders. A few parts have begun to arrive, 4 jacking points from Arie PronK in NL, some bits from RPD.

I have been over there stripping more parts off, yesterday got all of the rear end stripped bar the rear beam, only the beam bolts to go and it’s off. No more surprises under there so that’s good. Welder is starting on that today. Managed to snap the threaded bar on the handbrake when backing it off. The offside rear arch has had a great previous repair, there are 80 grit lines in the filler that you can see through the paint in places, but worse still, when I bought the car, the rear bumper protruded to the offside by an inch or so. Turns out they have fitted the bumper retaining bracket completely incorrectly.

Started on the front end, bonnet, headlamps etc off, scuttle area cleared. The panel under the screen that runs down the back of the scuttle has seen better days, you can see why these rot with a sharp forward facing leading edge at the very bottom of the screen. My welder says this won’t be an issue. Front inner wings have seen better days, as have the forward chassis legs and front panel. We are starting at the back end with repairs and working towards the front. Will drop the engine out for the front end sorting, this will give me chance to check out the minor oil leak at n/s of the engine, do the timing belt, and probably shot a clutch in for the ease of it.

Easy to see why a few people have given up on this car, and very likely in years gone by that it would have been scrapped. Just needs the right attention and approach.

I will get some pics up when I have time.

Today I need to order some sills (POV ones from CARZ2), might also get some front inner arches as I have found some of those too.

PhilW
07-01-2018, 21:39
Good to hear that you are really getting into this resto, nice to see enthusiasm for the project.
lots of restos never get seen through to the end as people loose interest (or run out of cash). So stick with it, if things go wrong, its always best to walk away and come back to it later. Dont set fire to it.....I was tempted on quite a few occasions 💥.

Mine was a bit of a challenge but I did It throughly and have just got the repainted rolling shell back from the body shop. So its really given me a boost to get it on the road for the Spring.
I did try to ipload an image but the uploader is not working for me at the moment 🙄

ianbirch
08-01-2018, 20:13
Hi Phil...nice to see it back in your hands and that you are happy with it.

With regard to the uploader I found it didn't like any image over 2mb...so if it is a jpeg you may need to compress it a bit further.

Regards Ian

PhilW
09-01-2018, 08:50
Hi Phil...nice to see it back in your hands and that you are happy with it.

With regard to the uploader I found it didn't like any image over 2mb...so if it is a jpeg you may need to compress it a bit further.

Regards Ian

Hi Ian,
thanks its good to have it back.

Re the images because I use an ipad compressing the images is a problem for me. Unfortunately if uploading starts to become difficult, I just can it in. I dont have enough spare time to mess around with computers. I’m one of those people who just want it to work.
Probably a bad attitude 😉.

I would like to get back to finishing off the #180 Resto thread, but there would be some big uploading time there, I’ll have to sort something out with Northy 👍

ianbirch
09-01-2018, 18:11
Hi Ian,
thanks its good to have it back.

Re the images because I use an ipad compressing the images is a problem for me. Unfortunately if uploading starts to become difficult, I just can it in. I dont have enough spare time to mess around with computers. I’m one of those people who just want it to work.
Probably a bad attitude .

I would like to get back to finishing off the #180 Resto thread, but there would be some big uploading time there, I’ll have to sort something out with Northy 

Furry muff Phil..will still look forward to your posts pics or no pics.:)

Regards Ian

zippy!
11-01-2018, 11:10
Good to hear that you are really getting into this resto, nice to see enthusiasm for the project.
lots of restos never get seen through to the end as people loose interest (or run out of cash). So stick with it, if things go wrong, its always best to walk away and come back to it later. Dont set fire to it.....I was tempted on quite a few occasions 💥.

Mine was a bit of a challenge but I did It throughly and have just got the repainted rolling shell back from the body shop. So its really given me a boost to get it on the road for the Spring.
I did try to ipload an image but the uploader is not working for me at the moment 🙄

Thanks for the encouragement Phil.

i will see it through, had the same with my Hillman imp, it’s worth the wait, and the hurdles along the way actually make it interesting looking back.

Getting the shell back puts you over the hil, but the real work starts then! Nightmare every time you find s part that is not up to scratch for re-fitting! Take your time and enjoy it.

On with stripping my tailgate this week. Salvaged all but one of the spoiler clips. Busted the pins off the Clio badge, and one off the Renault badge. Need a wiper tool to take the arm off as it’s solid. Just the glass after that and it’s stripped. Will get it blasted.

Also on with cleaning the fuel filler neck up. Got rid of the years of near cement crud gathered at the top, and taking overspray off from a previous rear quarter repair.

PhilW
12-01-2018, 21:07
Hi Zippy,
To be fair, it shouldnt be a huge task building the car back up from this point oncevInget the rest of the parts back from the paintshop.
As it stands the interior, dash loom, engine, gearbox, suspension and electrics are all in place, so its really very much on the home straight and I just need to get on with it 👍

zippy!
12-01-2018, 23:09
Hi Zippy,
To be fair, it shouldnt be a huge task building the car back up from this point oncevInget the rest of the parts back from the paintshop.
As it stands the interior, dash loom, engine, gearbox, suspension and electrics are all in place, so its really very much on the home straight and I just need to get on with it 👍

Pleased for you. Summer will be good for you this year!

PhilW
13-01-2018, 22:08
Pleased for you. Summer will be good for you this year!

Thanks I hope so

an02rew
22-05-2018, 22:15
Anymore updates PhilW?

zippy!
04-12-2019, 14:57
Slow progress but the shell is taking shape. Awaiting final shotblasting after all of the obvious repairs have been made. Hopefully have some better updates in the near future.

an02rew
15-06-2020, 13:21
Any more updates?