PDA

View Full Version : Rear wing panels - availability? price?

white16valver
20-07-2016, 12:24
Hey all,

Just out of interest, am I correct in thinking that rear wing panels are one of the many things that Renault has decided to stop making in its infinite wisdom? :roll:

If so, what am I looking at for one if I can find one?

Or are there any pattern parts available?

Someone really needs to make some in carbon or GRP or something if the OEM metal ones are no longer available.

Vandella
20-07-2016, 13:22
you're correct in thinking that.. they only have to supply parts for cars for 10/15 years iirc.. then its using up the stock.. as alot of these have seen ditches and hedges, the parts have gone..

you can get fibreglass rear quaters (http://www.mcracingsa.com/4-pieces-auto-polyester-competition/23-renault/395-clio-16s/235-de-base/5689-extension-daile-arriere-droite-renault-clio-16s-de-base/

http://www.mcracingsa.com/4-pieces-auto-polyester-competition/23-renault/395-clio-16s/235-de-base/5690-extension-daile-arriere-gauche-renault-clio-16s-de-base/)..

failing that, you're best bet is to either find a donor car with 16v rear quaters and use them of find a pair second hand... or what many people have done is to get the repair panels from car2z and then have a bodyshop fabricate the rest.. the only rear panel i could find from Renault is a pov spec (1.2, 1.4)nearside.. and there was only 1 left when i called a few weeks back..

how bad are the bits that need replacing?

16v_paddy
20-07-2016, 21:57
It's only worth getting the panels if the rot or damage is really extensive as it's actually a lot cheaper, quicker & easier to just get the poverty spec repair panels made to fit

mrodz
23-07-2016, 11:37
So I've been wondering... what happens to the press dies for any discontinued parts? Maybe Renault still has them for the Williams / 16V wings?.. ;)

PhilW
23-07-2016, 21:40
So I've been wondering... what happens to the press dies for any discontinued parts? Maybe Renault still has them for the Williams / 16V wings?.. ;)
I can see where you are going with this, but most companies scrap the dies when they finish production as the cost of storing something that you are never going to use again wont stack up.
If you go down this route, good luck and let us know how you get on......Hope your French is good 😀

Mark Fisher
31-07-2016, 22:47
I have the same dilemma at the moment. O/S/R arch is pretty bad and wasn't really sure what my options were as I've not got round to talking to a bodyshop yet..anyone used the fibreglass ones on here that anyone knows about? Guess the rust would never come back which is a good thing!

Greg
01-08-2016, 16:23
Guys, what is the price range for used rear panels?

Vandella
01-08-2016, 17:40
depending on condition 50-150 for the pair id say..

16v_paddy
01-08-2016, 18:09
depending on condition 50-150 for the pair id say..

closer to £200 actually but a minimum of £50 each for not very good ones

owen87
10-08-2016, 15:01
I'm currently the Process Engineer in a composites factory in Ireland. I'm always looking for opportunities to make moulds for certain cars where panels have become extinct. Recently I have made moulds for AE86 corolla's for bumpers and a couple other small items.

I'v been looking into a carbon bonnet for my clio and would love to have moulds made if enough interest was out there. Any replacement panels would be doable if interest was high. I posted pics a while back of a carbon airbox that I had made with a cold air feed directed to the bumper, if anyone's looking for an alternative. We also have a robotic CnC machine so (only if there is real interest as we don't own the 3D scanner) parts could be 3D scanned for mould or plug cutting without the need to waste a donor bonnet as a means of making a plug/master mould.

Carbon or glass parts would be no problem, we recently made several carbon parts for a prestigious race car manufacturer in the UK with all moulds being cut on the robot. These carbon parts were vacuum bagged for additional strength.

Vandella
10-08-2016, 16:09
is this just carbon panels you'd be offering?

owen87
10-08-2016, 16:42
No I was just demonstrating the different materials we use, once a mould is made you can really use either or, obviously the carbon parts would be far more expensive.

Generally bigger production run carbon parts are made using pre-preg materials and an autoclave oven, this process requires expoy based moulds, for short runs in hand lay or vacuum bagging traditional moulds can be used meaning glass or carbon can be easily made from the same moulds.

katbloke
12-08-2016, 22:01
I paid 50 for a rear lower quarter from Matt and that came with inner panel too as both inner and outer lips were shot

y0z2a
15-08-2016, 11:07
Paul, just get the standard ones, and adapt them.

/y0z