PDA

View Full Version : A few questions-help!!

Vandella
22-06-2016, 13:33
right so im currently in the process of getting parts for when i get to rebuild the car properly..
i sent off a spare gearbox to be refurbished.. turns out a few of the gears are worn and along with new bearings, the bill will be £913.**, Renault apparently are not offering any gearboxes anymore, straight out buying or the exchange sevice.. so im stuck with getting a box rebuilt.. anyone know if this is fact true that i cant get a new/recond one from renault?

what would jesus do?

also in need of the seal that goes around the aux fuel tank/filler neck and joins to the wing.. the guy couldnt spot this either.. are these easy to come accross or is it a gen part only?

and one last thing i also need is the clip/nuts/bolts/fixing that the rear bumper uses.. not the ones on the side but at the back.. can these be bought new, or is it a whole new bumber job? i didnt want to ask the guy at trenault and waste more of both of our time..

any advice or questions on my ramblings feel free to ask!!

16v_paddy
22-06-2016, 17:47
Find another gearbox place, my box had a pretty much destroyed 3rd & 4th gear and my total rebuild only cost £360 from my local guy

Vandella
22-06-2016, 18:13
holy shit.. i wasnt sure if they were having me on abit.. presuming you had the bearings and any damaged synchros replaced too?

Vandella
22-06-2016, 20:27
does anyone know how i can get hold of rear chassis rail nuts and bolts to hold the aux fuel tank in/on please? nothing shows up on dialogys and id be ages scrawling through the images on there looking for the bloody thing..

its these if it helps.. they near enough fell out after a little bit of pressure.. or what have people done when repairing the chassis rail?
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7727&stc=1http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7728&stc=1http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7729&stc=1

PhilW
23-06-2016, 07:35
Regarding the rear chassis rails, the best way of dealing with them is to clean off all the paint and underseal, drill out the spotwelds, cut the old ones out and get some replacements made up and welded back in.
if you use a good quality Zintec steel and protect both the inside and outside of the metal with suitable products, you will have a long lasting repair.
The rear chassis rails are easy, just note that the rails are wider where they join onto the rear crossmember and slightly narrower at the very back of the car.

The blind fixings in the chassis rail - I wouldnt bother replacing them with the Renault fixings, they are pretty poor quality. In my opinion, the best option is to use RivNut fixings. Check them out on the internet, these are basically rivets with internal threads. You can buy them in stainless steel (so they wont rust) and they provide secure fixings into blind sections.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/philw135/2016-05/DD38AEE9-9418-43BA-8114-885D2B78B16A_1.jpg[/URL]

Vandella
23-06-2016, 14:36
awesome thanks for this Phil, i think i may take that approach.. i saw a pic of what the original ones should look like..

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7742&stc=1
mines completley rotted away as you can see above..

p.s. stop biting ur cuticles!!:winkey:

Crossers
23-06-2016, 14:53
awesome thanks for this Phil, i think i may take that approach.. i saw a pic of what the original ones should look like..

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7742&stc=1
mines completley rotted away as you can see above..

p.s. stop biting ur cuticles!!:winkey:

They are from the front chassis rail in the engine bay, on the cam belt side.

Paul

northy
23-06-2016, 15:16
i recon you could still buy them.

whats size is the bolt???

Crossers
23-06-2016, 15:21
I'd go with Phil's suggestion. If the bolts near fell out, then you'll be repairing the chassis rail presumably. Just use Rivnuts, much simpler and easy to source.

The other caged nuts in your latest pic are available on ebay.

Paul

Vandella
23-06-2016, 15:41
well i can imagine they are the same sort of bolt/stopper in there Paul.... mine just looks likes its melted/rusted togethor.. Mr Spiller gave me the above pic with the red paint..
and yeah ill be replacing the whole rear drivers side rail..

the bolt has a 13mm bolthead and 8mm thread Northy.. this one i started to turn and the rail just fell apart as i was twisting/undoing it.. the rear one i just cut out so i can get the bolt out of the aux tank bracket as to not damage it.. its in worse condition that the bolt above..

does anyone know if the rear bumper nuts and bolts can be bought separatley? i only have one good one.. the other 4 the thread is shot so the nut wont actually come off.. not the side ones, is the ones that you do from underneath the car..

Vandella
23-06-2016, 15:43
I'd go with Phil's suggestion. If the bolts near fell out, then you'll be repairing the chassis rail presumably. Just use Rivnuts, much simpler and easy to source.

The other caged nuts in your latest pic are available on ebay.

Paul

any idea what these are called on ebay? just caged nuts?

16v_paddy
23-06-2016, 15:51
+1 for the rivnuts, got plenty of them on my car, sooooo much hassle saved using those bad boys :grin:

PhilW
23-06-2016, 20:52
A word of warning Vendella, if youre replacing the OS rear chassis rail, dont look too closely at the other side or anywhere else or the next thing is you will be asking to borrow my spit. We all know what happens next.....

Sorry I cant check the bumper at the moment as its stored at my parents.
Have you undone the bolts are the sides yet?

If the 4 main ones are knackered the side ones will be terrible as they are crappy pressed captive nuts, I had to cut them out.....

Crossers
26-06-2016, 16:18
any idea what these are called on ebay? just caged nuts?

Crossers
26-06-2016, 22:31
The filler cap seal is 7701035567