PDA

View Full Version : How to modify and fit replacement sills

mack1
22-04-2016, 23:48
As per title. I've read somewhere that to replace the sills on the Williams, a bog standard sill has to be purchased and. Modified. Can one advise on the best method and best place to purchase these.

16v_paddy
23-04-2016, 03:32
There's a few places that sell them so they're not difficult to source. Most people get them from http://www.carz2.co.uk/

As for the modifying, it depends how much of the sill you're replacing and where. For example if the front half is being done it's simply a case of cut to the required length & weld it in.
If at the rear or the whole sill, the replacement panel needs to be cut shorter and then shaped by good old fashioned panel beating to match the shape where it meets the rear arch.

As for the best method, it's always gonna be get someone that does this sort of thing for a living to do it

mack1
23-04-2016, 13:38
Paddy I've tried to fit a replacement sill, but because the rear of the sill has to go wider for the arch the bump or crease is in the wrong place. I got the end shape right but unfortunately where I tried to weld was very thin and keeps blowing. This means I really need to get a new panel and cut above the crease.
Is there a link to a project where somebody has pictures.
Any help would be appreciated.

northy
25-04-2016, 08:39
have a look in the projects section. Phil is restoring 0180 as we speak.

mack1
27-04-2016, 21:21
Thanks Northy
Pm sent

katbloke
05-05-2016, 18:39
I must get into the project section

Ayli Carper
05-05-2016, 18:59

It's September since you last put some pics on Clio off to be derusted. The audience is now desperate for an update. Desperate!

It's too good to just let it dribble out of steam.

PhilW
05-05-2016, 19:06
My resto images wont be much help as I have not got that far in the updates Northy.
However in the projects section andreas395 has uploaded lots of images and on page 3 of his thread there are images of exactly what Mack1 is looking for.
His thread is titled "My Williams 1 & 2 Restoration project"
Good luck Mack1

PhilW
05-05-2016, 19:14
Just an additional note Mack1 - if I were you I would not cut above the swage line (or crease) as this carries the natural flair of the rear 1/4 and it would then be very hard to recreate accurately.
As long as the metal around the swage line is good, cut below this and use the new sill section to create the wider section of the sill. If you look at Andreas395's thread you will see what I mean.

I'm not a welder, but the guy who did the welding on my car said that the metal is very thin on the Williams and he had to slowly weld the thin sections in by gradual build up of spot welds, cooling the welds as he went along - I'm sure that you know this already though 😉.

PhilW
05-05-2016, 19:16

Open that wallet Graham, commit to the forum 👍

katbloke
05-05-2016, 20:17
It's September since you last put some pics on Clio off to be derusted. The audience is now desperate for an update. Desperate!

It's too good to just let it dribble out of steam.
Has it been that long blimey, its hard to get enthused about my car when its not at home, im looking into a decent form of pop up garage to get her home, this £46.50 i pay a month isnt let me doing any work, nearly thought about selling a few times.

Phil_Costa
07-05-2016, 20:00
do you need to be a paid member to see the projects?

PhilW
07-05-2016, 20:59
do you need to be a paid member to see the projects?
Yes you do, membership is very reasonable though, I say this as someone who is not conneted with the forum in any financial way 😉

Ayli Carper
07-05-2016, 21:46
Yes you do, membership is very reasonable though, I say this as someone who is not conneted with the forum in any financial way 

I paid twice this year. Bargain!

Phil_Costa
08-05-2016, 11:32
yeh i figured it out haha paid up now it is very reasonable too

AdzC
08-05-2016, 11:53
I paid twice this year. Bargain!

At least you show as a subscribed member. I have paid for another year and still not showing as a subscribed member.

Phil_Costa
08-05-2016, 15:48
Neither am I yet, although there is a large CS event at Blyton this weekend so admin might be there.

mack1
11-05-2016, 11:10
Yeah I've subscribed as a member. Wonder if Northy has gone on holiday as he's not answering his pm's.
I've decided to carry on with the replacement sill I've already half done. My problem with the welding is that I'm struggling to get the welder setup so it either doesn't blow holes or when the current is turned down stick. I'm using loads of gas, which seems to be working better as it cools the weld better in the higher setting. Only bad thing is the amount of hobby gas bottles I'm going through. Going to have to invest in a big bottle.

katbloke
14-05-2016, 17:15
Open that wallet Graham, commit to the forum 
I reckon Mr Northrop should sort me out with free membership :)

northy
16-05-2016, 09:26
haha im never on holiday.

You post me a decent update Graham of where the car is upto now and I will think about it.

katbloke
18-05-2016, 19:47
I can post a pic of my shiney new parts washer, not plugged it in or filled it yet

northy
19-05-2016, 10:39
get some pictures uploaded - you dont even need to ask lol