PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Car won't start!

waynos83
07-04-2016, 20:47
As the title suggests, my beloved willy is having problems starting. Was driving along the other day and he shuddered then stopped working. Got towed by the AA who suggested I changed the coil pack.
Anyway, over the Last week, I've had my mate (who is a mechanic) come over to have a go on it, and every time he's changed something and it hasn't worked I've bought a new part!.
He's scratching his head a bit now. I asked if I should buy a new set of leads and he said he thinks it's something to do with the wiring on the ignition module!
Here's what he's changed so far:
coil pack
crank shaft sensor
ignition module
dizzy cap
rotar arm

Anybody had similar issues and could help?
many thanks
Wayne

16v_paddy
07-04-2016, 21:38
Are you sure it's not getting spark? Could be a corroded/bad earth causing the problem if no spark

Is it getting fuel?

Crossers
07-04-2016, 22:21
I'd say that an earth strap has snapped, corroded or come off. Check them all.

Paul

waynos83
07-04-2016, 22:30
Are you sure it's not getting spark? Could be a corroded/bad earth causing the problem if no spark

Is it getting fuel?

its getting fuel but no spark to ignition module. My mate was saying that there wasn't an earth when tested. Thanks for your reply, will take another look! 👍

waynos83
07-04-2016, 22:31
I'd say that an earth strap has snapped, corroded or come off. Check them all.

Paul
thanks mate. The mechanic was saying that the module wasn't getting earth. You both might be pointing me in the right direction.
Many thanks for your reply. 👍

northy
08-04-2016, 08:27
There is a large earth from the gearbox to chassis in the passenger wheel arch.

The are a few more earths in the engine loom / gearbox / starter

Crossers
08-04-2016, 10:00
There's also an earth wire that goes from the negative terminal on the battery and bolts to the front panel just left of the n/s headlight. If that's not attached for whatever reason, the car wont start. Same goes for the gearbox to chassis strap (accessed from the n/a wheel arch).

Paul

waynos83
19-04-2016, 21:42

Is it getting fuel?

Hi 16v paddy. Only today has my mate been able to look at my car. He replaced the earth strap from the gearbox to chassis and also checked/cleaned ALL the other earth points and ...it still won't start!There is no spark when cranking!
so I mentioned what you said about fuel, and he checked it again. He seems to think now that the fuel pump is not priming when only ignition switched on. There is no sound at all.
He now thinks it's something to do with the original immobiliser. Do you think he is on the right track?

many thanks

Wayne

northy
20-04-2016, 08:28
the original immobilizer does control the fuel pump.

What alarm do you have - original would have been a Gemini alarm. They will be prone to going wrong now.

But there is a relay in the engine bay that controls the fuel pump. (near the battery) It might be that you need to try cleaning and swapping them around? They will be large black relays.

When you turn on the ignition it will supply pressure initially for the start procedure.

Number 4

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7560&stc=1

Have you checked the leads are all sparking?

waynos83
20-04-2016, 19:12
Thanks for your reply. This is what my mechanic friend has said about it:
'No spark from coil.. got live to it but when cranking no earth. Fuel pump does not prime either when turning ignition on.. All earth's are good have been done..'
I think we ruled out the leads for the moment because there's no spark getting to them. If that makes sense?

cheers

northy
21-04-2016, 08:34
Have you checked the distributor cap and rotor arm?

What condition is your ECU in?

waynos83
21-04-2016, 17:37
Have you checked the distributor cap and rotor arm?

What condition is your ECU in?

Hi Northy, We have replaced the dizzy cap and rotor arm for new parts. I have no idea what the condition is like. I will get my mate to have a look. Could a wet/damaged Ecu produce the problems I'm getting?

Thanks

Wayne

waynos83
25-04-2016, 22:10
Hey everyone! The willy has finally risen from the dead. After changing a load of parts and being a month off the road, it turned out to be a break in the wiring loom. It was rubbing against the bodywork and cut through a few wires!
Thanks to everyone who spent the time to post a reply on here.
All the best
Wayne 👍😉

northy
26-04-2016, 08:39
what part of the loom was it?

Just in case someone else is having the same issue.

waynos83
26-04-2016, 12:00

I think it was on the drivers side near the headlight and was rubbing against the bodywork. I will get a picture up to show exactly where it was! 👍

waynos83
02-05-2016, 19:11

Right guys, here the culprit for all my non-starting problems. The wiring loom on the passenger side, low down near the headlight. Over time it rubbed against the body work and broke through. Thanks again for everyone's help.

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7590&stc=1
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7591&stc=1