PDA

View Full Version : Vibration/shaking

Vandella
05-04-2016, 11:12
Hey all,

i've had for a little while now what can only be described as a vibration/shaking when under more than half throttle.. cruising its fine and smooth.. but in most gears when giving it some from low revs it feels like its shaking.. also sounds a little Scooby-ish.. any ideas? local mechanic has suggested checking the driveshafts for the shaking issue - hoping its not internal issue..

also while i'm here my current gearbox has developed a horrible scratching/dry metal noise when on the overrun.. I have another gearbox that ill be getting checked and rebuilt so this isn't a massive issue.. just wondering if there are any idea's to both of these concerns..

if more info is needed ill do my best to divulge..

Thanks muchly

northy
05-04-2016, 14:19
can you get any videos done?

mack1
13-04-2016, 17:01
Does the vibration persist when you push the clutch in.

I May be wrong but if it sounds like a scooby it might be running on three cylinders. Try swapping your leads for a spare set or new or coil pack. Also maybe your plugs. Check the condition of them. Is the gap correct, coaked up or are they wet.

Vandella
13-04-2016, 18:51
haven't managed to get any video's yet Northy, ill see what i can do.

Mack1 - i don't think it's that bad to be running on three.. maybe I've described it wrong.. i can drive normally and its OK, but as soon as i give it more than half throttle id say, its starts to burble.. similar to how the boxer sounds, but not as prominent as that.. it sounds like an intake noise.. like the growl u get... ill have to try and gets some vid's i think,

it could be gearbox related maybe diff issue's, the power delivery is just not smooth, but ill check the plugs and leads like u say.. baby steps first n all, ive just been rather lapse at getting round to it.. plus the overrun noise i get coming from the gear box/clutch makes me think the issues are related.. i had the gearbox overhauled a few years back and there's a slight whistle/whine i think coming from it, i usually drive with the radio on and u need it off to hear this.. but the noise is louder/softer in different gears, 2nd 3rd 4th are bad.. 3rd being the worst id say.. it goes away when the clutch is depressed, i know its not the clutch bearing as this would be noisy when i'm stationary too and depress the clutch, no? as i say i have a spare box i got a little while ago, but im unsure on condition, as it came off a broken car. its a sub 70-80k box, but id much rather have that checked first than put it on.. any idea how to 'check' a box? im presuming ill have to send it to someone but if they have to take it to bits n all i may aswell have them replace the bearings and seals etc.. maybe a different person than the last guy taking in to consideration the noises coming from mine after 3/4 years...lol..