PDA

View Full Version : worrying knock/rattle

summeh
06-09-2005, 23:57
i've got a worrying knocking noise coming from my engine, can't pin point it, but seems to sound like a deep rattle but is constant, and only at certain revs....

could be anything I know but its slightly worrying, anyone got any ideas?

could just be a rattle down in the depths somewhere? :?

clowo16v
07-09-2005, 00:13
Take the cam cover off, then the cover under that with the spark plug holes in and check the cams. Take the LT lead off the distributor and spin the motor over. Oil should fill the valleys where the cam lobes are. Also check the cams for scoring etc.

Can't really look at the bottom end without dropping the sump.

See ya

Matt

summeh
07-09-2005, 00:17
hi mate,

just had the rocker cover off to put me new one on.... cams are in perfect condition :|

Zollo
07-09-2005, 00:29
I hope this isn't going to be some well thoughout and elaborate build up to an excuse for Donnington? :wink:

northy
07-09-2005, 07:56
lol at zollo

did u refit all the screws back into the cam & head mate ?
did u take all your tools out of the engine bay
did u leave the car to go for a brew and return to find aload of nuts scattered about (might be a squirrel aswell in the engine bay)

Id go over checking things you have done mate - check the belt tensions and make sure the fuel rail pipe isnt catching on the belts.

Gav
07-09-2005, 08:42
check your engine mountains are tight

Swervin_Mervin
07-09-2005, 11:28
Does it do this with clutch in and out? My release bearings are shot so it rattles like a bitch unless the clutch pedal's dropped.

Tommo
07-09-2005, 12:12
I have a rattle at certain revs and it turns out the catalyst is knackered and sounds like a bag of bolts as the ceramics inside have come loose! It's going into Demon Tweeks on friday for a de-cat so this should sort it and hopefully free up a few more BHP!

On another note I have a 'clicking' noise when I take my foot off the accelerator and the car decelarates, doesn't happen all the time but it is quite worrying. Any ideas what this could be fellas (sorry to hijack your thread summeh!!)

northy
07-09-2005, 12:49
I have a rattle at certain revs and it turns out the catalyst is knackered and sounds like a bag of bolts as the ceramics inside have come loose! It's going into Demon Tweeks on friday for a de-cat so this should sort it and hopefully free up a few more BHP!

On another note I have a 'clicking' noise when I take my foot off the accelerator and the car decelarates, doesn't happen all the time but it is quite worrying. Any ideas what this could be fellas (sorry to hijack your thread summeh!!)

It certainly will mate :twisted:

VIPERONE
07-09-2005, 16:46
lool i found a snap on ratchet in my other cars engine bay.. the garage had left it in.

summeh
07-09-2005, 19:59
the noise is coming from the engine mount region, which i had off obviously when the new timing belt cover went on... going to take it to pieces at the weekend and check everything over.

its all tight and lined up, by looks of things, tightend to the specified torque, etc...

tis deffo a deep rattle tho, nothing to do with the internals of the engine.