PDA

View Full Version : What to offer on a Williams 2

Mark Fisher
13-02-2016, 20:26
Some friendly advice please.....?

Been searching for a Williams for a while and have come across a 1995 Williams 2. The current owner (of 7 years) was looking to put into storage but said make him an offer....

Its on 101k, not been looked after but completely standard. From what I could see on initial inspection its got a badly rusted o/s/r arch and sill - but just 2 owners from new. Will need a lot to bring it back up to anywhere near its best and MOT expires 6th March....

Will be going to view and drive again but what would people think would be an acceptable initial offer for something like this, in this condition and what would you go up to maximum price?

Appreciate any advice on this, it's been some years since I got rid of my phase 2 1.8 16v so a bit out of touch!

Cheers. Mark

Ayli Carper
13-02-2016, 22:27
If the interior is absolutely great I'd say 1.5-2.5k. You're looking at spending a lot on bodywork and you know that mechanically it's not going to last forever without a lot of work.

I'd be ready to walk away, but rely on your memory of what you've driven before. If it doesn't all come flooding back, there's a reason.

FATBOY
14-02-2016, 20:07
future classic in the making, rare, and an icon... but you will have to spend on bodywork though, but how many williams are there now that dont need that??? does it have FSH???

Danno
15-02-2016, 00:36
In my opinion, it depends what you want from the car. Is it a toy..? Or do you want an investment..? Your more than likely going to have to spend either way, but 1 will not cost as much as the other. There is a W2 on eBay for approx 3k, for a toy it's good money imo.

Mark Fisher
15-02-2016, 09:35
The service history I am waiting for confirmation of, which will have a big bearing on what I decide to do.

As to investment or toy, that I am undecided about. I guess I am thinking a bit of both but maybe more towards investment. So it's where do I draw the line considering I will be spending a fair amount of money bringing it up to scratch....

Mark Fisher
15-02-2016, 09:55
I just had confirmation that the car has been routinely serviced when needed (according to mileage) along with cambelt changes by this owner and previous. The owner did confirm though that it is due a cambelt replacement again and MOT is due early March which I doubt he'll be doing.

This will obviously have an impact of what I offer....cambelt and service, what we talking these days cost wise?

My last 16v I had done when I worked at a Peugeot dealer, well over 10 years ago,so very out of touch with pricing!

So although cosmetically it's not great, mechanically it sounds like it's been looked after by both owners.

Thanks all for your help with this.

Ayli Carper
16-02-2016, 11:12
In a way it's better it needs a cambelt so you know that it has been done and get it done by someone you trust.

As I said, if you've had something similar before you'll know what to expect with a test drive to a certain extent. An MOT might throw up some suspension/steering things, but hopefully not.

If it throws up bodywork stuff, the trouble is you can start to open a can of worms. 'Oh, well if I'm doing this, I may as well do that', and when you do that, you uncover the other thing, and before you know it the thing is in bits and you don't drive it for four years and become almost bankrupt in the process.

If it was me, I'd pay the minimum I could, pay a few hundred quid for a cambelt change and the barest else to scrape the MOT, and drive the bottom off it for a year to see what I really wanted out of it.

It sounds like a good deal.

Mark Fisher
16-02-2016, 22:37
Cheers for your help everyone.

Ayli, I'm guessing you're talking from experience with regard to the bodywork stuff and opening a can of worms?! Part of me is a little bit prepared for the 'bodywork battle' as I am looking at it long term. BUT there is a big question mark regarding how far you go, as you say it's easy to become bankrupt!

I agree that it's worth having a bit of fun with it for a while and maybe bringing the car up to a better condition in other areas before committing on the bodywork!

Lets just see - not sure how much people who just use these as 'run abouts', know what they actually are and their possible potential of value one day!

Ayli Carper
17-02-2016, 12:21
I went 'outside in' with the bodywork, and it was far worse than expected, but still took less than three weeks start to finish, to make the car daily usable for a few years. I know I'm just delaying doing it properly, 'inside out', but I also know that a, that'll take it off the road for more like three years, and b, if I do that then when it's finished it won't be daily car usable because it will feel too precious.

It would be great to have a great car, but it all depends what you want it for. I bought mine as a 'winter banger' for a 'more valuable' car, and ended up selling the other car because I preferred the Williams, and now face the prospect of finding a winter banger for this.

But. But. They are so fun driving in the snow.

It does all really depend what you want it for, and how much money, time and expertise you have, but the last time I looked, cars were made to be driven rather than looked at.

Mark Fisher
26-03-2016, 19:10
So, after putting the post up over a month ago, I'm finally the owner of this Williams 2 for the not too shabby sum of £1500! It's SORN but once March is out the way, I'll be cracking on. Still a sense of trepidation as i don't know what kind of state the car is truly in underneath but this is long term, so not panicking too much....YET!
Here's a pic, looks better than what it actually is! Rust on the rear arches is not good unfortunately
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7509&stc=1

daljk
26-03-2016, 21:01
Good luck mate

Chris197F1
27-03-2016, 13:23
Doesnt look too bad for £1500! Hope the underneath doesnt give you too much of a shock, good luck with it mate. If anyone else is selling one for £1500 that needs work I'll take it lol

Ayli Carper
27-03-2016, 15:10
So, after putting the post up over a month ago, I'm finally the owner of this Williams 2 for the not too shabby sum of £1500! It's SORN but once March is out the way, I'll be cracking on. Still a sense of trepidation as i don't know what kind of state the car is truly in underneath but this is long term, so not panicking too much....YET!
Here's a pic, looks better than what it actually is! Rust on the rear arches is not good unfortunately
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7509&stc=1

That looks really good. Even if it's worse than you possibly thought underneath at least it is yours.

I think you got a bargain, well done, now lots more pics please.

andreas395
05-04-2016, 19:03
Cool nice project to keep you busy 😊

northy
06-04-2016, 08:23
any more pictures for us?

Mark Fisher
10-04-2016, 20:31
So, the Williams is fully back on the road after being SORN, it breezed through an MOT last week which was a relief! To my surprise it's actually a pretty solid example underneath on further inspection on the ramp, t's just those blummin rear arches and a few other rusty areas, which are letting it down.

The list of priorities now starts. First things first, a full service/cambelt change then I'll be speaking to some body shops about that rust....the rest of the car including the wheels aren't actually that bad so, they're not high up on the list. Exhaust is still something I'm mulling over, the magnex is going (just too big for my liking), it's just whether to go standard OEM back box or just something ss but smaller.

A few pics after a clean and polish today....

Ayli Carper
10-04-2016, 21:05
I did say LOTS more pics please ...

... looking good, love the number plate, wheels look pretty good.

My experience of ss exhaust is I'd wished I'd gone OEM and sprayed it within an inch of its life. Up to you.

daljk
10-04-2016, 22:13
Your car looks good! Did the first owner upgrade to speakers in the doors and audio control on the steering column?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk