PDA

View Full Version : asking boss for a payrise(how to go about it??)

FATBOY
06-09-2005, 21:38
right ive been in my new job for 3 months now and that means im now eligible for a fuel card for the company van(since ive been there ive paid for fuel out of my own money which is reimbursed at the end of the week)

why u have to be there 3 months before u can have a fuel card is beyond me???

well 3 months and all is going well,but ive found out that another fitter(hes a bloke i know quiet well) gets £20 more than me a day. but i do exactly the same jobs as he does(were on the same estate fitting heating in houses that are the mirror of each other) i finish them in the same time as him,and he is no more qualified than what i am.

i have had no call backs on any of my work and ive even had praise from customers by them sending letters to my guvnor saying how good my workmanship is. so my boss knows i work hard and im always punctual and get my work done. i also know that he is desperate for fitters at the moment so i dont think he would like to lose a good fitter in me if i was to use the old "im leaving" saying to him. so how do i go about asking him, cos im basically one of them peeps who just gets on with things and never speak my mind or gets things of my chest.. cheers peeps

Gav
06-09-2005, 21:41
has this other guy been there only 3 months also?

When i went for my payrise at my old job i just reminded him of how good, on the ball,punctual i was fed him all my good points and then said....i think i have shown myself to be a good hard worker and would like to discuss a pay review

Good luck bud!

Gav
06-09-2005, 21:42
be sure to get him on a good day, better at the end of the day when things are slowing down and you have done full days graft.

FATBOY
06-09-2005, 21:44
hes been there for 7 months! but i feel that i have more than proved myself!

Gav
06-09-2005, 21:58
just do something like that matey....i did and i was only working there 4 2 months...i was shit at my job, easily replaced and still got a extra 60quid a week outta him :D

Zollo
07-09-2005, 00:56
Tell your boss you've seen other jobs advertised paying at your rate + 25 quid a day. Tell him you're obviously not thinking about leaving, because you love him and your job very much ( :P ), but that you'd appreciate it if you could be on the same about, as you think you're worth it.

As Willy Jr said, give it time and get him on a good day when the time is right.

Don't tell him that you know how much the other guy is being paid btw!

NickFr
07-09-2005, 01:47
Be direct, ask him if he thinks you are doing a good job and that he is happy with your workmanship, if as I suspect he answers yes, just be upfront and say " I am glad your happy because I think I am worth a bit more money....blah blah blah.

If he is worth his salt, he will sit down and talk to you about it :wink:

Jamie.
07-09-2005, 13:02
just ask him, dont say there are "other jobs" on more an hr/day cause he will think fine **** u, i wont stand in ur way if u wana leave. just ask him for more money as u think u deserve it, prehaps hint that u know ur mate is on more than u but is equally skilled. if he says no, ask him why ur mate is on more, go abt it like u are looking for constructive critiscm with regards to wanting to know why, that way u wont get his back up and make him think "that lad is a twat"

Zollo
07-09-2005, 13:07
just ask him, dont say there are "other jobs" on more an hr/day cause he will think fine f*ck u, i wont stand in ur way if u wana leave.

That's why I said "Tell him you're obviously not thinking about leaving, because you love him and your job very much." As you say, you don't want to threaten him and get his back up.

Jamie.
07-09-2005, 13:09
just ask him, dont say there are "other jobs" on more an hr/day cause he will think fine f*ck u, i wont stand in ur way if u wana leave.

That's why I said "Tell him you're obviously not thinking about leaving, because you love him and your job very much." As you say, you don't want to threaten him and get his back up.

that'll be speed reading for u then eh. :oops:

Zollo
07-09-2005, 13:17
:D

Dno194
07-09-2005, 13:17
You should never say that you know how much another colleague earns :roll: . The boss won't appreciate the fact that you know that!

Be honest, tell him that you are enjoying your work and that the customers are more than happy with your performance. Ask him if it is possible whether your pay 'could' be reviewed. Ask him on a friday afternoon as he'll be looking forward to the weekend and hopefully winding down for the day. Just make sure you don't collar him as he is walking out of the door for the day.

£20 a day more is quite a jump in cash, assuming that you work at least 5 days a week, that will be at least £400 a month. Chances are he may only offer you £10 a day more, but don't knock it back and ask for £20 as he'll probably suss you know what the other fella earns as he does the wages afterall! Either that or he'll think you are being greedy :lol: !

Make sure you catch him in a good mood as it'll make or break it. You've got nothing to lose so go for it. He's not exactly going to give you a pay cut for asking.

Hope that helps mate, and good luck! If you are as good at your job as you say, then I'm sure he'll appreciate your worth and cough up.