PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Exhaust Problems

stew
06-09-2005, 17:47
Hi all. :)

I have a magnex (i think) stainless steel cat-back exhaust system on my hybrid at the moment (relic of previous owner/s) and have just splashed out for a lovely new supersprint manifold and decat pipe (both T304 stainless steel). When driving today i noticed the exhaust tone had changed once the system was hot. During inspection of the exhaust system i notcied that the front box (middle section) was leaking!!!!! How is this possible with stainless steel? Anybody else had problems like this before? :?

**NOTE : My car isn't decked and hasnt had any abuse from me over speed bumps or other objects!*** (Unless martin can enlighten me! LOL)

Anyway, it needs to be fixed or replaced - can i weld the leaking hole/join with a mig or arc welder? Will this fix the problem and last a while? or am i better just getting a new stainless steel cat back system to compliment my new manifold and decat. If so which system would you recomend?? - im looking for a 3" or 3.5" tailpipe exit!

Cheers,
Stewart

Slithers
06-09-2005, 19:20
Holts do a hole repair kit, not sure if its any good, but theyre firegum works wonders IMO.

Might be worth checking out their range of products before thinking about welding.

2 live
06-09-2005, 20:08
find out what zorst it is, then get in touch with the manufacturer.s/s exhausts should have a lifetime warranty

northy
07-09-2005, 07:35
as stainless steel gets hot, the metal expands upto 1"

So i think that as it gets hot, its opening up one of the joins.

But if u replaced the cast iron manifold with a stainless steel one (whiuch heats up far quicker than standard) - this heating and expanding will have almost certainly broken one of the joints on the silencers.

Depending on your area - i would be leaning towards replacing the section with a new free flow stainless steel part.

3" rolled inwards is almost classed as standard on these cars.

Did the supersprint manifold line up ???

stew
07-09-2005, 19:14
supersprint manifold not fitted yet northy!!! lol

do u know of any good free flow middle sections (no boxes just straight thru)???

summeh
07-09-2005, 20:24
supersprint do one... lol :D

have a look here....

www.supersprint.com

get the product code then go here... www.motorsportworld.co.uk

stew
07-09-2005, 20:37
looks not to be stainless steel :?

stew
10-09-2005, 13:35
anyone know any good cat-back stainless steel exhausts that are straight thru with no front/centre silencer box? any recomendations?

Martin
10-09-2005, 17:58
I always use powerflow....not too keen on off the shelf exhausts..

Rajk
13-09-2005, 00:29
I always use powerflow....not too keen on off the shelf exhausts..

seconded, they will make anything you want, my mate had and old 320i and he got a straight thro stainless with just the end muffler, on changing down it used to spit flames,btw make sure you get them to do it in the same bore pipe. otherwise I have heard you loose back pressure

northy
13-09-2005, 07:43
anyone know any good cat-back stainless steel exhausts that are straight thru with no front/centre silencer box? any recomendations?

Only ones i know is the PROWLER exhaust - Ktec had some awhile ago that were single silencer and they had a choice of 3 tailpipe designs.

2 live
13-09-2005, 13:10
powerflow evry time IMO

stew
13-09-2005, 19:22
decided to go for a devil stright thru front pipe and backbox. so my car will be running supersprint fanimold and decat, and devil system. should sound nice!