PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing

daljk
01-12-2015, 21:02
The williams 3 is rust free at the moment

Just wondering what you would advise guys a waxoyling or something like dinitrol? And if so recommend someone to go it I the London area?
I panic every time I see rain!

simundo
01-12-2015, 21:33
Also considering a treatment for mine.

Mine doesn't see any rain though but like the idea of having it protected.

daljk
01-12-2015, 22:28
Not that I want to take it out in the rain
There's moisture in the atmosphere etc and being made if French foil doesn't inspire me with confidence
I've read waxoyling can block some if the drainage holes so maybe another product may be better...?

daljk
01-12-2015, 22:41
Ideas and advice please guys

16v_paddy
01-12-2015, 23:52
Stuff something into the drain holes that can easily be pulled out once the gunk has been applied as the products are all pretty much the same & do the same job, personally I'd just do it myself with a tin of waxoyl & a brush

PhilW
02-12-2015, 00:23
I have just used a product that is doing very well in the Practical Classics long term "cavity protection test"
It is great for cavity protection as its very thin and finds its way into seams, it also sprays very well from the aerosol can with the probe attached and can also be used underneath the chassis.
Its thin enough not to black drainage holes, but as Paddy says you can clear drainage holes with some wire what ever product you use.

The product is called Noxudol 700, manufactured by Auson (Swedish Company) and I found it very well priced at £5.72 per 500ml can from www.slcuklimited.com (http://www.slcuklimited.com), check out the reviews on line.

Ultimately, you cannot beat a car being professionaly rust protected by a company with the proper application equipment and knowledge. The wax injection I did was for some areas that will be difficult to access later on when the car has been rebuilt. After it has been painted its having the full anti corrosion protection in every cavity, nook cranny and surface.
I have a compressor and I'm not afraid to use it.......

I would work on the principle that whatever you use its better than doing nothing.

16v_paddy
02-12-2015, 01:36
I have a compressor and I'm not afraid to use it.......

This sort of mentality is why I'm not allowed to have a compressor :lol:

y0z2a
02-12-2015, 07:59
Mine is currently off at SPL being dipped, and then once any work has been completed, it will be off to be dipped again, and coated - SPL (http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/technical-process.html)

Originally when they left the factory, this process wasn't used, so it should give me a good life on the post restoration shell.

Whole end to end, is that it gets dipped, repaired & welded etc, dipped again, and then coated to give a full shell protection.

/y0z

PhilW
02-12-2015, 08:53
SPL are UK based, assume you are no longer in Australia?
Clearly the list of people stripping cars back to the shell is growing....looks like I'm in good company 👍

daljk
02-12-2015, 09:15
Found this on a search
http://www.rust.co.uk/we-rust-proof-your-car-from-250/c32734/
Think I might try them

y0z2a
02-12-2015, 10:13
No, I am still here - just that the cars are still there at the moment.

/y0z

PhilW
02-12-2015, 12:26
Found this on a search
http://www.rust.co.uk/we-rust-proof-your-car-from-250/c32734/
Think I might try them

They would be a good bet.
Their products are good, I have used plenty of their Epoxy mastic 121 on my project

daljk
02-12-2015, 12:29
Thanks for all the advice guys

PhilW
02-12-2015, 13:47
I spoke to Stephen from SLC in Warrington (Noxudol products distributor) and he kindly offered the following;

"I would be happy to offer genuine members of your club a ten per cent discount off all of my products purchased by them including all Rust Preventative Products but also any of our Wood Preservative Products"

The products are very well priced, so well worth a look.

www.slcuklimited.com

northy
02-12-2015, 15:46
Yoz, you need to update us with a project thread!

daljk
02-12-2015, 22:38
Had a chat with Mark Fish today
He said he'll try and get the car in for a new heat shield and to check sun roof/ aerial leak
Also he can deal with the waterproofing too
👍

y0z2a
02-12-2015, 23:50
I know mate - I'm just smashed with work.

I also am not taking all the pictures, so it's a bit challenging.

I'll sort something out maybe over the christmas break.

/y0z