PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox identification

Willaims#66
12-11-2015, 17:51
Looking for some help identifying the correct gearbox for my Williams 1. I had a replacement recon gearbox fitted a couple of years ago and it was only realised once fitted that the speedo didn't work as there was no connection for it on the gearbox. Is there a difference between Williams gearboxes or was mine fitted with a close relative?

In the meantime I have now gathered together four spare gearboxes but am unsure if any of them are the correct ones or not, is there any easy way to tell from the outside? One is still wrapped under my work desk as it was delivered last year, two are sitting in my garage and the fourth is attached to an engine I bought purely for the subframe that came with it. Need to rationalise the amount of parts I have stashed so looking to get rid of the excess parts but don't want to sell the wrong gearbox!

Any help appreciated...

Crossers
12-11-2015, 20:17
Part hording is a bit addictive isn't it!

The gearboxes should have identification plates on them, with the gearbox number on it (JB5, JB3 etc)

Paul

16v_paddy
13-11-2015, 14:29
Looking at the tags on the top of the box or the part numbers stamped/etched into the bottom might help identify them but the numbers aren't always visible.

Sounds like you've got a box from a mk2 clio fitted if there's no hole for the speedo drive

Willaims#66
13-11-2015, 18:04
Thanks for help, did all Williams gearboxes have hole for speedo cable then? Also what numbers are for the Williams?

Cheers!

16v_paddy
14-11-2015, 01:22
The Williams box is JC5 014 and has a hole for the speedo drive, exactly the same box for all 3 versions of the Williams.
Part number is 77 01 671 814

JC5 S09 is a reconditioned from Renault gearbox for the Williams. Part number 77 01 352 174