PDA

View Full Version : Increased engine noise

Standaman94
23-06-2015, 09:01
In the last few days I've noticed the engine makes a bit more noise than usual. It seems to increase with RPM, and everything else is normal; oil, temperature, fuel etc

I haven't done much to the car lately, but on Saturday I disconnected the battery to fit new speakers and I also got new tyres and had the wheels tracked. Apparently the tracking rods are jammed, they tried "heating it up" to loosen it (which I assume is going over it with a blowtorch or something?)

I had a brief look under the bonnet but couldn't quite see anything or tell exactly where the noise is coming from.

Standaman94
23-06-2015, 16:36
Could be that I filled it with Texaco "Premium Unleaded" the other day... Not exactly the nicest stuff. When it runs empty I'll try Shell and see if it's different

Vandella
23-06-2015, 16:59
how do u mean increased engine noise? when its idling or driving? is it an induction noise, or exhaust noise? maybe the exhaust has moved when they were fiddling around with the track rods?

different petrol shouldn't affect the noise..

yes, by heating it up it will cause the metal to expand and should/would help when undoing the adjustment bolt.. not an uncommon thing to happen on any car..

Standaman94
23-06-2015, 17:20
It gets louder as the RPM increases, and I can hear it at idle and when driving. I don't think it's an exhaust noise, it's not a deep sound like that. It's more like the usual idle sound from the engine but amplified.

I'll investigate a bit more later.

Vandella
23-06-2015, 19:38
think we're going to need a video..

Standaman94
24-06-2015, 14:02
So the noise seems to be coming from the drivers side, possibly from near where the timing belt is. Could it be shaft bearing somewhere?

16v_paddy
24-06-2015, 21:02
There's 2 pulleys in that area that could possibly be the culprit

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/2012/Dialogys%20pics/cambelt.jpg

See if you can narrow it down to the front or the back of the engine to see if it's 1 of those