PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Gauge

AdzC
25-03-2015, 22:28
I know that this has been discussed quite a bit and that the general consensus is that the gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

However the gauge on my car shows no pressure and then when under engine braking / deceleration goes up to what I would expect it be at and then down again to 0.

Anybody any ideas please? The car drives fine and has no pressure warning lams illuminated.

Vandella
26-03-2015, 09:51
more than likely just the sender unit.. located on the back of the engine somewhere..

AdzC
26-03-2015, 10:34
more than likely just the sender unit.. located on the back of the engine somewhere..

That's what I thought (was hoping)

Are these still available from Renault? If not does anyone know where I can get one?

16v_paddy
26-03-2015, 13:23
Accuracy isn't the issue at all, it's a silly gimmick that displays completely useless & meaningless information

AdzC
26-03-2015, 20:28
Accuracy isn't the issue at all, it's a silly gimmick that displays completely useless & meaningless information

Ha ha. I must say that I did get that impression that it isn't a precision instrument.

I would just like it to work as intended though.

16v_paddy
26-03-2015, 22:54
Somebody on here posted a detailed thread about getting his to work properly not too long ago :winkey:

It's probably 100% accurate when working correctly, but it merely shows oil pressure at a part of the engine that's not important, healthy pressure at the shells is supposed to be 11-12 bar so a gauge only going up to 6 isn't much use :lol:

northy
27-03-2015, 10:14
this sounds like a good little project for you then Paddy - can you come up with a set up to correct the oil pressure switch issues for 'trackday driving'?

16v_paddy
27-03-2015, 23:02
Yes I have the perfect setup on my track car, threw the oil gauges in the bin & fitted a pov spec dash top :winkey:

But if you really are that homosexual & want something oil pressure related to look at while on track, there's plenty of decent aftermarket stuff you can get & all you'd need to do is plumb the sensor into where the oil warning light sensor goes in & away you go

donut2015
04-05-2015, 17:58
Hello,

Newbie here. Just test drove a potential purchase and had a few Q's that maybe someone could help with

1. oil level gauge went round to high on start up and then to zero - normal ? (oil level of dipstick was fine)

2. Oil pressure gauge went as high as 5.5 when start up / cold but then seemed to steady to 2 ish after that but generally a bit erratic

3. More worrying was knocking on start up attributed to after market exhaust which then stopped once we got going - if it's the exhaust knocking due to vibration then presumably would continue to knock ? No other signs of engine issues and pulled well in all gears - any thoughts ?

4. Overall, all seemed fine and good condition car - just need a few pointers on points above

Thanks all

Donut

16v_paddy
04-05-2015, 18:10
1. Normal
2. Ignore it but will be potentially be the sensor at fault as they don't last forever
3. Where is the knocking? Rear beam? Worn rubbers possibly or not quite adjusted correctly - they can be a bit of a twat to get sitting right so they don't knock

donut2015
05-05-2015, 10:46
Thanks for the quick response Paddy - I'd heard the gauges could be a bit temperamental but good to get forum advice

Knock does seem to be from the rear but need to pin point it - will check again prior to purchase

Thanks again

donut

1. Normal
2. Ignore it but will be potentially be the sensor at fault as they don't last forever
3. Where is the knocking? Rear beam? Worn rubbers possibly or not quite adjusted correctly - they can be a bit of a twat to get sitting right so they don't knock

16v_paddy
05-05-2015, 20:35
It's very much a trial & error thing to get the exhaust sitting so it doesn't knock, especially if the back box is in 2 sections but the 1 piece back boxes are a little bit easier to get right 1st time