PDA

View Full Version : Parts hoarding

Purple
10-02-2015, 10:12
Sad news. My tropical clio williams is headed for the scrappers. As, for reasons too complex to explain, it would cost me more 30,000 GBP to keep the car beyond end Feb. I am thinking of stripping out some parts to hoard. Simple strip jobs only. The car need only have 4 wheels rolling, a non-functioning "visually" original engine and body panels to be towed to scrapyard. Ideally, the stripped item should be something small & hard to come by these days. But the rims and front seats will be kept. So what parts do you guys recommend stripping out?

northy
10-02-2015, 11:59
I dont like the sound of this post mate - any parts you could remove would be worth saving.
Do you have acsess to other wheels that you could fit from say a 1.2 clio or even a mk2 clio?

Purple
10-02-2015, 12:08
Fitting on steel wheels from elsewhere, and keeping the gold rims. Still on factory paint but the edges have seen some pavement scrapes. Is the inlet & exhaust manifold unique to clio williams?

Lew
10-02-2015, 15:01
Don't suppose it's a W1 with yellow front fogs that are in ok condition?

16v_paddy
10-02-2015, 15:13
It's only the exhaust manifold that's unique to the williams

Purple
10-02-2015, 15:58
Don't suppose it's a W1 with yellow front fogs that are in ok condition?

White fog lamps. Not quite the exact specs as any UK clios, but closest to UK's phase 2 clios.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/ppsun/tyre.jpg

katbloke
10-02-2015, 17:31
how much would it cost to ship the whole thing to the UK?

Purple
10-02-2015, 18:06
Just realised I may have mis-represented the condition of on my car in the photo. The photo is a many years old, I was using it to show the white fog lamps. The car is a lot worse for wear nowadays.

@katbloke: Have been advised it's about 3000GBP for container shipping cost to uk. It's just not worth it.

katbloke
10-02-2015, 18:51
Aaah ok

theweekendhaslanded
10-02-2015, 21:29
Let's all chip in and get it shipped to the uk! You cannot scrap this tropical williams!

Smokey McPot
10-02-2015, 22:22
I got a fiver.

walters300
10-02-2015, 23:18
Ah that's terrible.. Seems like you have to pay massive money over there to keep a car in singapore over 10 years old, I remember searching Japan to see if there were any as new cars available and there is a strong following for renaults. I think it was called a luticia Williams over there as Honda had the rights to the clio name.
If I was in your shoes get googling or whatever search engine is best there for renault clubs and stick an advert up for the complete car. Last time I spent hours searching and ended up finding 2 cars in some Japan auction or car site, a luticia 16s (Valver) in poor condition for 8000 US dollars and a reasonable enough luticia Williams for 14000 is dollars, also ended up finding the jap equivelant of renault sport fanatics,
Couldn't make out any of the conversation though as it was like looking at a menu from the Chinease!!

they had a clio maxi/ a few clio Williams/ few turbo 2s/ 5 turbos and a selection of other renaults in the club. I will have another go at finding it for you.

Id say if you advertise in the right place you could get a decent figure for it if its reasonable and all there, you could also try contacting a uk car importer to see if they could squeeze it in a container for you, I'm sure the jap import places only add about £500 for shipping.

Would you get any cash back for scrapping it over there with the weird tax method they have?

DSilvaSport
10-02-2015, 23:19
Keep the manifold heatshield - if it has one. Good ones are gold dust.

walters300
11-02-2015, 00:08
This isn't the one I found before but if you go down near the bottom and scroll through the 16 pages of pics there's a good few Williams in Japan ...

http://app.m-cocolog.jp/t/typecast/63202/60329?page=1

Purple
11-02-2015, 00:32
@Smokey
If only Mr <insert Premier League footballer name> was a williamclio member, I heard they can be quite passionate and silly with their money. A tropical Williams could easily get lost among their garage of cars :)

@Bootstrap
The heat shield is not in great condition, but at least it's still there. Will keep it as it's easily removed. Thanks for the tip.

@walters300
Yes, there was a few LHD Williams in Japan few years ago but not sure if they have kept up with them recently. I will see what my friend, the car's current caretaker, can do with the Japan info. Wife & me have been having medical issues since 2008, so it's been completely under his care for past year of so.

The scrapping cashback amount is only for cars in the first 10 years, typically a few thousand GBP. Zero cashback amount for scrapping cars taken beyond 10 years. The ridiculous upfront 10-year permit alone is more than enough to scare many old car owners from renewing their cars. This permit cost, which can vary due to an auction process, has "killed" many nice old cars here. Many beautiful old Minis, in particular, that were still running great have been wiped out from our roads in recent years.

Purple
11-02-2015, 00:46
Nice link, walter300. What I would give to have one of those lovely A110, less than $35k GBP, I guess. Sadly, there's a better chance of me owning an A110 than keeping my Clio. Under the classic car ownership, as long as it's older than 30 years old (might be 35), it gets a much reduced 10-year permit (might even be nil) but I can only drive the car for 28 days a year. Maybe if the stars align and things go my way, that might be the way I bring a clio williams back here, many year from now. Parked next to my then A110 would be fantastic :)

walters300
11-02-2015, 00:58
There's a few clio Williams pictured there aswell, thought one of your pals might be able to work out the website and link back to some kind of owners club or forum, that's totally ridiculous that you can't just park a car in a garage for resurecting at a later date, could you bury it maybe ?

Purple
11-02-2015, 01:21
With old car owners here, there's lots of crazy stories over the years. Stories like owners bribing the scrapyard to issue certificate of destruction, or claim the car was stolen, or burnt to a crisp - while he leaves his car parked in his spacious garage for many years. Or owner swapping plates with a similar younger car that is in much worse condition than his pristine older "scrapped" car. The one which I entertained very briefly few years ago was to drive my car into Malaysia and leave it at a Malaysian friend's house, so that I get to visit my car once in a while. Problem was he was more a passing acquaintance plus he died before any action was taken.