PDA

View Full Version : Should I remove the Clifford Alarm?

PhilW
23-01-2015, 19:08
At risk of asking a stupid question, I am in the final stages of my strip down before refurb and then rebuild.
I am in the process of removing the wiring loom and its been a real git of a job as the Clifford Alarm has wires feeding into every area. I'm not a fan of car alarms as they always seem to start going wrong when they get older.

My question is will it aftect the aftermarket value of the car if I remove the alarm?
Not sure if it was std fitment when the car was new?

If there is no reason why I shouldnt remove the alarm, I may get an immobiliser fitted.

fab
23-01-2015, 20:46
I believe they were orginally Cobra alarms fitted to some Williams,Phil.
I wouldnt say that not having one fitted would cause any depreciation on the value of the car.Minimal if any.

I'm of the same school of thought in that they seem to cause more hassle than their worth.False alarms,draining batterys,leaving you stuck in the middle of nowhere when they cause the car not to start:evil: etc etc.

The Clifford system is regarded as a high end product was it not?I can imagine what the wiring looks like!

I whipped whatever was in mine out but I have to say that I should have put an immobiliser in as I cant really relax if I have to leave it parked anywhere other than the garden or garage at home.

PhilW
23-01-2015, 22:06
Think I may take it out, the passenger footwell looks like this;

And the inside generally like this

Not pretty!

Ayli Carper
30-01-2015, 19:58
Taking the alarm out (well, getting some else to take it out and spend hours re-soldering the loom and spend a fortune on it) was the very best thing I have done to my car.

It was a Clifford too, it will have cost a fortune to put in, but it was driving me nuts.

If you then fit a passive immobiliser you will have added value to the car in my opinion.

PhilW
30-01-2015, 20:31
Cheers Ayli,
being a simple person, I was hoping that I could disconnect the bits that I dont want and leave the immobiliser part of the system attached. I didnt actually use the alarm before I took the car to pieces, I wa just assumimg that it had an immobiliser as part of its features.
As you say must have cost a fortune to fit as mine was wired into everything on the car.
Interestingly when I was taking it out I noticed that the siren had been disconnected from the control box :???:

Danno
31-01-2015, 12:02
Interesting this, I'm having battery related problems and I'm certain is the Clifford alarm. As stated above, they where not cheap when new, iirc it was the best part of 1k

katbloke
31-01-2015, 12:31
it wasnt till my dash came out that i saw how badly the person who fitted my alarm cared about their work, old alarm control box is still by the steering column with its wires cut off and its replacement was just tucked up under the dash relying on a plastic panel to hide it

PhilW
31-01-2015, 21:53
Interesting this, I'm having battery related problems and I'm certain is the Clifford alarm. As stated above, they where not cheap when new, iirc it was the best part of 1k

Bloody hell Dano, £1k :shock:

PhilW
31-01-2015, 21:57
Remove it all Phil, re-install a new one then you can come round and fit a new one to mine 

The very best favour that I can ever do you Gaz....Is to never, ever touch the wiring in your car ;-)

northy
02-02-2015, 09:56
Never been a fan of Clifford or Toad alarms....i can remember all the max power boys having then sodding things.

Im all about COBRA alarms!

Take it all out and fit NEWNESS!