PDA

View Full Version : battery size

FATBOY
11-01-2015, 17:40
Can someone please confirm the battery measurements for the Williams and the cranking amps ah etc etc....

fab
12-01-2015, 10:27
There's a Varta in mine. Been there since I bought it.
12V 50aH 540A
Code 550 56 054 Blue Dynamic

Width is 24cm
Height 17.5
Depth 17cm
Terminals are 18cm apart.

Those trickle chargers not up to the task then:-P

FATBOY
14-01-2015, 12:22
My battery is old. Its a genuine Renault battery.theae trickle chargers should work ok shouldn't they???

fab
14-01-2015, 14:59
My battery is old. Its a genuine Renault battery.theae trickle chargers should work ok shouldn't they???

I have no experience of using battery conditioners or trickle chargers myself Paul. Someone else surely has.
Your running some ICE in your car are you not? You may need a battery that suits your setup keeping in mind the cranking limits for the Willy.
My battery is rarely connected hence its lasted as long as it has. Otherwise I would exspect to get 4 to 5 years from a decent brand with every day use.

Chris197F1
14-01-2015, 15:28
I used a battery charger on my Williams when it went flat due to an interior light being on constantly. Bought mine from halfords, just make sure it's suitable for a 2 litre engine as not all of hbem
are

FATBOY
14-01-2015, 16:49
Just a sub and amp nothing really high powered tho. And I don't have the alarm armed when she's tucked up safely in the garage. I'm guessin the battery has had its time.....

fab
14-01-2015, 17:06
Just a sub and amp nothing really high powered tho. And I don't have the alarm armed when she's tucked up safely in the garage. I'm guessin the battery has had its time.....

Very likely.

Do the usual checks to be sure the alternator is sending the correct voltage to the battery. Sorry I dont recall what it should be but Lee or someone else will know.

I put a halfords one in the daily about 6 months ago and it's holding and cranking well. Went for the yuasa brand with 5 year warranty.

stevie_b
14-01-2015, 19:04
Was it already on a trickle charger Paul? I've got a few Cteks, an Optimate and a Halfords one and they all seem to do a decent job and mean the batteries haven't died in a good while now. It is leaving them connected with the car unused for months on end that otherwise killed them off as things like the clock eventually take the voltage down to a level where it seems the battery can never recover, even if charged up again. It's worth sticking a charger on it for a while and see where you end up though. If checking the alt you should see around 14 volts with a voltmeter across the battery terminals with the engine running.

FATBOY
14-01-2015, 20:25
I used a battery charger on my Williams when it went flat due to an interior light being on constantly. Bought mine from halfords, just make sure it's suitable for a 2 litre engine as not all of hbem
are
what one did you get from halfords mate??

FATBOY
15-01-2015, 13:41
Thinking of going for a varta battery thinking either the varta blue or varta silver.... Are these batteries calcium?? Or lead acid??? The silver is £4.55 more but has 60amps more and 1 ah more.... 540 amps and 60ah is sufficient is it not???

fab
15-01-2015, 14:56
Ive never seen anyone post the exact specification of the original battery for the Williams. It's not in any service manual,parts catalogue Ive seen, and certainly not in an owners handbook.

50aH 540A which is what my battery rates and it cranks great from hot or cold, once fully charged.

Be mindful that the alternator may not be able to regulate the voltage or even charge an over-sized battery even though the manufacturer does list the silver as compatible.Also the starter motor may not be able to take it.

fab
15-01-2015, 15:31
50aH 420A was original spec from a source which sounds about right.

The Renault part number nowadays is
77 11 222 779
See here:http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/renault/7711222779.html

Another difference in going for larger aH batteries is the weight. They are likely to increase by 3 to 5kgs from a 50 to a 53.
So a 60ah is probably gonna put down around 6kgs in that corner.